Looking for a new midrange phone. Leaving Windows mobile?

anon(6099202)

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a new phone.
Currently i'm using a Lumia 920 which i bought back in December 2013 for around ?250. I am looking for a similar deal with today's hardware.
My budget: ?300
My requirements:
-Wireless charging (I really like it!) or a battery enough to last 2 days.
-A 4.5-5.5 inch display (fullHD would be nice)
-A decent camera (OIS, really like the Lumia camera app with manual controls)
-A dedicated camera button

I feel like Microsoft doesn't offer what i want. I would need a Lumia 850 or something.
I like the Lumia 830, but this is an old device already (but within my budget) does this phone run windows 10 mobile smoothly? (compared to insider builds on a ...20 device?)

Apple is a no-go. Personally i would like to stick to Windows mobile. I hate Google, but i don't have to many problems switching to android if necessary. (I will just use Microsofts services which are better supported on other platforms anyway) But it has to be a phone that gets updates (I would like to get the update to Android 6 at least)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I can tell you the Nexus 5X would meet all your requirements other than camera button, but I'm not sure how much it costs in Europe (I'm in the US).

If you're looking for Android devices, please check out our sister site Android Central. Folks there would be better able to help you, especially since there are so many different Android devices available. Ask a Question - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that dedicated camera button may be hard to find... However, many Android devices have a way of quick launching camera. I think many Samsungs use a double tap of the hardware "home" button to launch camera under lock. Other OEMs have other means.

Check out GSMarena Phone Finder... Phone Finder - search for a phone by feature - GSMArena.com

Put in your mandatory criteria and get a list of candidates, then shop those for price.

I went with 2015 and newer, I set the price to €400 or less as you may want to look at gently used.
Android.
FHD (1080p) or higher.
4.5" - 5.5" screen.
10MP or more.
OIS.
3000 mAh or higher.
In the free text I tried putting in Qi, but the filter didn't like it.

I got these 8 phones. Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

When you click into a model, you can add up to 2 more for side by side comparison.

OnePlus 2 has a good rep. So does the LG G Flex2 and I threw in the Xiaomi Mi5...
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6902&idPhone2=6916&idPhone3=6948

The later two have Fast Charge capability so that might be something to look at.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you at least tried W10M on your 920? I've been running it on my daily use 920 for months now, and the .164 release, while not perfect, has proven quite acceptable to me. I had initially planned to switch as well, but this latest version will keep me around long enough to see what Microsoft comes out with later this year.

If you're leaving anyway, what do you have to lose?

anon(6099202)

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Have you at least tried W10M on your 920? I've been running it on my daily use 920 for months now, and the .164 release, while not perfect, has proven quite acceptable to me. I had initially planned to switch as well, but this latest version will keep me around long enough to see what Microsoft comes out with later this year.

If you're leaving anyway, what do you have to lose?
Yes, i had W10m fast ring running on my Lumia 920 for a few months. To many crashes/loading screens and no Redstone update. So i rolled back to WP8.1.
I'm not just leaving anyway. I have always had Nokia phones, I had a Lumia 710 before this 920. I rather would like not to leave. But I heard/read that Microsoft won't be bringing out midrange phones anytime soon. And I don't think any OEM will do either.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think that dedicated camera button may be hard to find... However, many Android devices have a way of quick launching camera. I think many Samsungs use a double tap of the hardware "home" button to launch camera under lock. Other OEMs have other means.

Check out GSMarena Phone Finder... Phone Finder - search for a phone by feature - GSMArena.com

Put in your mandatory criteria and get a list of candidates, then shop those for price.

I went with 2015 and newer, I set the price to €400 or less as you may want to look at gently used.
Android.
FHD (1080p) or higher.
4.5" - 5.5" screen.
10MP or more.
OIS.
3000 mAh or higher.
In the free text I tried putting in Qi, but the filter didn't like it.

I got these 8 phones. Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

When you click into a model, you can add up to 2 more for side by side comparison.

OnePlus 2 has a good rep. So does the LG G Flex2 and I threw in the Xiaomi Mi5...
OnePlus 2 vs. LG G Flex2 vs. Xiaomi Mi 5 - GSMArena.com

The later two have Fast Charge capability so that might be something to look at.
The OP mentioned wanting Marshmallow. That might be an issue on some of these devices. Xiaomi Mi5 and HTC One X9 have Marshmallow. Huawei G8 and Lenovo ZUK Z1 have planned update to Marshmallow, but when is the question. OnePlus2 and LG G Flex2, Lenovo Vibe Shot, and Lenovo K80 have Lollipop but no mention of Marshmallow.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've always been a fan of the OnePlus devices. They are a fantastic bit of kit being devoid of bloat, and the manufacturer actively encouraging the Cyanogen roms. I can't see Android M being a problem as those devices are known for their capability with vanilla Roms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre