04-17-2016 04:25 AM
69 123
tools
    Certain manufacturers also state that you are not supposed to touch buttons or even have the phone started under water. It's just a pointer that it might be more sturdy when it comes to accidental water or dust "happenings".
    True. Most say you can use them for a period of time underwater or be able to rinse them but in general it is for accidental drop in water or left in the rain. Which is the whole point of IP68 in the first place. IP ratings are not meant for consistent usage in that condition only protection against it. That's why they are tested under conditions to a point why there are recommendations of usage.

Usually if something is on when in water you need to dry it out afterwards before normal usage again.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-05-2016 10:31 AM
    I wrote a whole thing about how the 640xl is the most durable smartphone i have owned. I have owned a few.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...urability.html
    04-05-2016 11:03 AM
    My 640 fell of my road bike and hit the pavement doing 25mph and no case on it. It immediately separated to 3 pieces upon impact. I reassembled it and all was fine. Only a small scratch on the rear corner. I was going to put a screen protector and case on it, but why?
    The screen protector does help when it falls flat on its face onto concrete. That all i use.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-05-2016 11:05 AM
    Very clickbait title there, man. The 640 beat the iPhone in being dropped, but not being bent, so that's basically a tie. The video was about testing the budget phones anyway, not the iPhone. Seems like a Microsoft pandering thread that's been created.

But, it's nice to see the durability on it stand out. I wonder what makes it so durable, beyond having bendable, cheap plastic.
    Arunabha Goswami likes this.
    04-05-2016 11:20 AM
    I'm guessing you no longer have that phone...

Salt water is very corrosive and not much has the ability to withstand it. Trust me on that. That phone would eventually corrode if not rinsed properly. Copper and salt water are not good friends.
    That happened about 5 years ago. I finally got rid of the phone last year as a gift to someone that needed it. The phone was in perfect working order still.

I did rinse it when I got back to the hotel room. No biggy. It did advertise that it could handle sustained submersion in salt water for 30 minutes up to a depth of 3 meters. It tested well on my end. It had a special nano-coating on all the circuitry to prevent the salt water from coming in direct contact with anything except the outside of the case.

Phone was basically good only as a phone, though. Even texting was a pain, but it was a good "phone" if all you needed was to make phone calls.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-05-2016 11:55 AM
    My 640 was saved by a tempered glass when it took a digger in my driveway. Very glad I had a glass on it. that was back when they were 79.99 and not 29.99 LOL
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-05-2016 06:56 PM
    Very impressive for the 640. The irony here is that I bought the 640 at its low $30 price point so that I wouldn't fret about breaking it, but it turns out it takes a beating like a champ.
    libra89, RumoredNow and TheChazas like this.
    04-05-2016 10:19 PM
    Very impressive for the 640. The irony here is that I bought the 640 at its low $30 price point so that I wouldn't fret about breaking it, but it turns out it takes a beating like a champ.
    Yeah, but the ironic prices does not exist in Europe.
    N_LaRUE, RumoredNow and Bloobed like this.
    04-06-2016 03:10 AM
    Yeah, but the ironic prices does not exist in Europe.
    It's still 99 here in the UK. Completely absurd. They seem to be selling them cheap as chips in the US but in their main markets they're expensive as hell.
    TheChazas and Guytronic like this.
    04-06-2016 07:24 AM
    That happened about 5 years ago. I finally got rid of the phone last year as a gift to someone that needed it. The phone was in perfect working order still.

I did rinse it when I got back to the hotel room. No biggy. It did advertise that it could handle sustained submersion in salt water for 30 minutes up to a depth of 3 meters. It tested well on my end. It had a special nano-coating on all the circuitry to prevent the salt water from coming in direct contact with anything except the outside of the case.

Phone was basically good only as a phone, though. Even texting was a pain, but it was a good "phone" if all you needed was to make phone calls.
    Ah I didn't look into the phone and didn't realise it could handle salt water. Interesting. That's different.

Typically though, phones or any electronics (or steel, copper, etc) doesn't survive well around salt water. It's not just the water but the salt water spray can corrode items for quite a distance from the ocean/sea if you live near it.

You'd be surprised how even 316 stainless steel corrodes from salt spray with extended exposure. There's a reason why things are rated 'marine grade'.
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    04-06-2016 07:29 AM
    It's still 99 here in the UK. Completely absurd. They seem to be selling them cheap as chips in the US but in their main markets they're expensive as hell.
    Yeah, in Lithuania it still goes around 150 Euros.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    04-06-2016 07:34 AM
    There's a reason why things are rated 'marine grade'.
    Absolutely. Also a reason 'marine grade' is more expensive.

If you want something that doesn't corrode from salt water at all, I'd suggest pure gold with zero impurities. It won't rust. ;)
    N_LaRUE, RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    04-06-2016 09:51 AM
    Absolutely. Also a reason 'marine grade' is more expensive.

If you want something that doesn't corrode from salt water at all, I'd suggest pure gold with zero impurities. It won't rust. ;)
    There are higher levels of stainless steel (known as duplex stainless steel, there are different grades) available for use around salt water, not as expensive as pure gold but certainly not cheap either!
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-06-2016 09:58 AM
    There are higher levels of stainless steel (known as duplex stainless steel, there are different grades) available for use around salt water, not as expensive as pure gold but certainly not cheap either!
    As someone who actually did freelance, contract quality control for a couple of steel manufacturing plants, you don't have to get those details out for my benefit. I could probably teach classes. Lord, I've had too many specialties in my life. It was fun to use the mass spectrometer on my lunch one time. ;)

The derail express seems to have arrived. I'll stop.
    RumoredNow, N_LaRUE and Guytronic like this.
    04-06-2016 02:08 PM
    Misleading thread title FTW.

But yes, my 640 XL had taken some drops and just plopped apart, no damage. After having a 928 (3 of them) and Icon (just 1), both of which broke on the first fall.

Still skip a heartbeat every time a phone slips out of my hands.
    04-06-2016 09:13 PM
    As someone who actually did freelance, contract quality control for a couple of steel manufacturing plants, you don't have to get those details out for my benefit. I could probably teach classes. Lord, I've had too many specialties in my life. It was fun to use the mass spectrometer on my lunch one time. ;)

The derail express seems to have arrived. I'll stop.
    Only a small derail. :)

Interesting. I'm an electrical engineer. I have experience in steel, coal, mining, process, oil and gas and reverse osmosis salt water plants. I probably wouldn't be able to teach a class but I know enough to be dangerous as one of managers used to say. :P
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-07-2016 01:37 AM
    Ha. The 640 is $30. There's no reason to pay $850 for an iPhone,
    04-07-2016 02:47 AM
    Ha. The 640 is $30. There's no reason to pay $850 for an iPhone,
    Now if only I could get the 640 for $30 in Europe... that's not used and not shipped over from the US...

As for getting an iPhone over a 640, there's various reasons why people buy a phone. From personal preference to certain apps, friends, etc.

There are lot more expensive phones than an iPhone...
    04-07-2016 02:53 AM
    iPhones are notoriously fragile. Sometime try to take notice of how many iPhones you see around that are not in an Otterbox AND do not have a cracked screen. There aren't many...
    I always notice this. Any iPhone that's not in a armour case is pretty well shattered. Or bent. My son has had 3 iphones and I have replaced them all because of shattered screens. You fart on them the wrong way and they will bend or break.
    04-07-2016 05:01 AM
    I was running as fast as I could to catch a bus (i didnt catch up to it though... huehue) and my Lumia 535 with a case on fell out of my pocket. It hit the ground hard, bounced to a nearby wall, and then again back to me. I just picked it up and it didn't have a scratch on it. Dat **** is durable!
    libra89 likes this.
    04-07-2016 05:13 AM
    Resistance to shatter is dependent on materials used and whether there's separate backing plate or fully unified body.
    04-07-2016 05:28 AM
    Now if only I could get the 640 for $30 in Europe... that's not used and not shipped over from the US...

As for getting an iPhone over a 640, there's various reasons why people buy a phone. From personal preference to certain apps, friends, etc.

There are lot more expensive phones than an iPhone...
    I think when I see adults buying a product because their friends have it,it is a bit strange. I expect that from teens. Not adults.
    04-07-2016 10:47 AM
    I think when I see adults buying a product because their friends have it,it is a bit strange. I expect that from teens. Not adults.
    It makes sense to want what your friends have, with apps like Snapchat, or Facetime in the case of Apple, being a case in point. There is also the sense of familiarity. If I (as a non-techie) have a popular phone and do not know how to do something, I can ask my (also non-techie) friends and there's a good chance one of them will be able to help me. If I have a device nobody else has, I have no help.
    libra89, theefman and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-07-2016 11:01 AM
    You don't know everyone's life. It can depend on a lot of things. For example, one of my friends just got an iPhone recently. Of the friends in our friend group, a good amount of us have iPhones. I'm pretty sure she didn't get it because of us. She had an iPad all of this time, and additionally, everyone in her family has an iPhone. Even so, word of mouth is so powerful and we can't forget that.

Edit: tgp said a point I totally forgot to add. Adding on to that, FaceTime requires no log in, it just works as long as you are using the Apple product. No additional logins to remember. I showed my mom how to use skype but she probably doesn't even remember her login. WhatsApp though, she doesn't have anything to remember, it just works.
    GMC262 and Guytronic like this.
    04-07-2016 11:01 AM
    I am quite sure they said in the video that the 640 isn't quite as durable the iPhone. The only place it beats it is in price.
    04-07-2016 11:31 AM
69 123