640: Budget Phone Durability Champion

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: 640 beats the iPhone

Just FYI, there's no such thing as 'waterproof'.

Most phones that make that claim are IP68 and are required to meet certain standards under test conditions specified by the vendor.

Also, IP68 does not mean you can dunk it in salt water or near chlorinated water. It's only fresh water. Most people don't seem to know that or understand it.

That's why some companies make a lot of money selling "water/salt water proof phone bags" where you can still use them (with degraded audio quality) while in the bag.

However, I did used to own a Samsung Rugby 2 flip phone, and it went through the washing machine and dryer with no ill effects. Dropped it into the deep end of a salt-water swimming pool once, and realized it 10 minutes later. Dove it and got it, flipped it open and used it. Worked fine. You just don't get true waterproofing with modern smart phones as of this point in time.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Of course not, because of so loved "premium" looks.

Honestly MS should have sent out black units. Most people agree with the way it's designed the black looks best since the cover is under the screen. At least most I've spoken to in person. You need to see both side by side.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Just FYI, there's no such thing as 'waterproof'.Most phones that make that claim are IP68 and are required to meet certain standards under test conditions specified by the vendor.Also, IP68 does not mean you can dunk it in salt water or near chlorinated water. It's only fresh water. Most people don't seem to know that or understand it.
Certain manufacturers also state that you are not supposed to touch buttons or even have the phone started under water. It's just a pointer that it might be more sturdy when it comes to accidental water or dust "happenings".

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's why some companies make a lot of money selling "water/salt water proof phone bags" where you can still use them (with degraded audio quality) while in the bag.

However, I did used to own a Samsung Rugby 2 flip phone, and it went through the washing machine and dryer with no ill effects. Dropped it into the deep end of a salt-water swimming pool once, and realized it 10 minutes later. Dove it and got it, flipped it open and used it. Worked fine. You just don't get true waterproofing with modern smart phones as of this point in time.

I'm guessing you no longer have that phone...

Salt water is very corrosive and not much has the ability to withstand it. Trust me on that. That phone would eventually corrode if not rinsed properly. Copper and salt water are not good friends.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Certain manufacturers also state that you are not supposed to touch buttons or even have the phone started under water. It's just a pointer that it might be more sturdy when it comes to accidental water or dust "happenings".

True. Most say you can use them for a period of time underwater or be able to rinse them but in general it is for accidental drop in water or left in the rain. Which is the whole point of IP68 in the first place. IP ratings are not meant for consistent usage in that condition only protection against it. That's why they are tested under conditions to a point why there are recommendations of usage.

Usually if something is on when in water you need to dry it out afterwards before normal usage again.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

My 640 fell of my road bike and hit the pavement doing 25mph and no case on it. It immediately separated to 3 pieces upon impact. I reassembled it and all was fine. Only a small scratch on the rear corner. I was going to put a screen protector and case on it, but why?
The screen protector does help when it falls flat on its face onto concrete. That all i use.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Very clickbait title there, man. The 640 beat the iPhone in being dropped, but not being bent, so that's basically a tie. The video was about testing the budget phones anyway, not the iPhone. Seems like a Microsoft pandering thread that's been created.

But, it's nice to see the durability on it stand out. I wonder what makes it so durable, beyond having bendable, cheap plastic.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm guessing you no longer have that phone...

Salt water is very corrosive and not much has the ability to withstand it. Trust me on that. That phone would eventually corrode if not rinsed properly. Copper and salt water are not good friends.

That happened about 5 years ago. I finally got rid of the phone last year as a gift to someone that needed it. The phone was in perfect working order still.

I did rinse it when I got back to the hotel room. No biggy. It did advertise that it could handle sustained submersion in salt water for 30 minutes up to a depth of 3 meters. It tested well on my end. It had a special nano-coating on all the circuitry to prevent the salt water from coming in direct contact with anything except the outside of the case.

Phone was basically good only as a phone, though. Even texting was a pain, but it was a good "phone" if all you needed was to make phone calls.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

My 640 was saved by a tempered glass when it took a digger in my driveway. Very glad I had a glass on it. that was back when they were 79.99 and not 29.99 LOL

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Very impressive for the 640. The irony here is that I bought the 640 at its low $30 price point so that I wouldn't fret about breaking it, but it turns out it takes a beating like a champ.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

Very impressive for the 640. The irony here is that I bought the 640 at its low $30 price point so that I wouldn't fret about breaking it, but it turns out it takes a beating like a champ.
Yeah, but the ironic prices does not exist in Europe. :wink:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, but the ironic prices does not exist in Europe. :wink:

It's still ?99 here in the UK. Completely absurd. They seem to be selling them cheap as chips in the US but in their main markets they're expensive as hell.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That happened about 5 years ago. I finally got rid of the phone last year as a gift to someone that needed it. The phone was in perfect working order still.

I did rinse it when I got back to the hotel room. No biggy. It did advertise that it could handle sustained submersion in salt water for 30 minutes up to a depth of 3 meters. It tested well on my end. It had a special nano-coating on all the circuitry to prevent the salt water from coming in direct contact with anything except the outside of the case.

Phone was basically good only as a phone, though. Even texting was a pain, but it was a good "phone" if all you needed was to make phone calls.

Ah I didn't look into the phone and didn't realise it could handle salt water. Interesting. That's different.

Typically though, phones or any electronics (or steel, copper, etc) doesn't survive well around salt water. It's not just the water but the salt water spray can corrode items for quite a distance from the ocean/sea if you live near it.

You'd be surprised how even 316 stainless steel corrodes from salt spray with extended exposure. There's a reason why things are rated 'marine grade'.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

There's a reason why things are rated 'marine grade'.
Absolutely. Also a reason 'marine grade' is more expensive.

If you want something that doesn't corrode from salt water at all, I'd suggest pure gold with zero impurities. It won't rust. ;)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Absolutely. Also a reason 'marine grade' is more expensive.

If you want something that doesn't corrode from salt water at all, I'd suggest pure gold with zero impurities. It won't rust. ;)

There are higher levels of stainless steel (known as duplex stainless steel, there are different grades) available for use around salt water, not as expensive as pure gold but certainly not cheap either!

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

There are higher levels of stainless steel (known as duplex stainless steel, there are different grades) available for use around salt water, not as expensive as pure gold but certainly not cheap either!

As someone who actually did freelance, contract quality control for a couple of steel manufacturing plants, you don't have to get those details out for my benefit. I could probably teach classes. Lord, I've had too many specialties in my life. It was fun to use the mass spectrometer on my lunch one time. ;)

The derail express seems to have arrived. I'll stop.

Matt Dargis

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Misleading thread title FTW.

But yes, my 640 XL had taken some drops and just plopped apart, no damage. After having a 928 (3 of them) and Icon (just 1), both of which broke on the first fall.

Still skip a heartbeat every time a phone slips out of my hands.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes