04-17-2016 05:25 AM
69 123
tools
    You don't know everyone's life. It can depend on a lot of things. For example, one of my friends just got an iPhone recently. Of the friends in our friend group, a good amount of us have iPhones. I'm pretty sure she didn't get it because of us. She had an iPad all of this time, and additionally, everyone in her family has an iPhone. Even so, word of mouth is so powerful and we can't forget that.

Edit: tgp said a point I totally forgot to add. Adding on to that, FaceTime requires no log in, it just works as long as you are using the Apple product. No additional logins to remember. I showed my mom how to use skype but she probably doesn't even remember her login. WhatsApp though, she doesn't have anything to remember, it just works.
    Why would she need to remember her skype id? I gave my grandmother (at age 68) a Lumia 640 and literally all she had to do was sign-in with her email address(just like an apple id) and open skype to which it automatically logs in like it does on any other windows device. So she doesn't have to remember any login.

I am just glad in my circle of friends and coworkers our group isn't tied to an os, nor trendy apps. I don't use WhatsApp even though we have an app for windows phone...I got my friends on telegram. I don't use snapchat so there are other ways for me to stay up to date on whatever stupid bs they are talking about or for a random loser guy to snap me something inappropriate.

No, I don't know everyone's life but when I see adults following trends or whining over snapchat(and you're like over the age of 30), yeah I kinda have to just lol at that. But to each their own. Word of mouth is powerful....so is not following behind what your friends are doing. I know many people who got something based off their friends only to hate it later.
    04-07-2016 12:40 PM
    It makes sense to want what your friends have, with apps like Snapchat, or Facetime in the case of Apple, being a case in point. There is also the sense of familiarity. If I (as a non-techie) have a popular phone and do not know how to do something, I can ask my (also non-techie) friends and there's a good chance one of them will be able to help me. If I have a device nobody else has, I have no help.
    I love my friends but for my money I buy what I want to use how I want. I don't want what they have. Now it is completely different if you see somethin cool your friend is using. It's precisely how I got my group on team surface. I was the first one rocking the RT and then I got the pro and now we all except one (the runt of the group who uses a mac lmao) use surface. They didn't get it because of me, I merely showed them what it was and they made that choice themselves.

In this day and age, smartphones are relatively simple to figure out. And what you don't know can be found via a quick google search or bing search.
    04-07-2016 12:43 PM
    Why would she need to remember her skype id? I gave my grandmother (at age 68) a Lumia 640 and literally all she had to do was sign-in with her email address(just like an apple id) and open skype to which it automatically logs in like it does on any other windows device. So she doesn't have to remember any login.

I am just glad in my circle of friends and coworkers our group isn't tied to an os, nor trendy apps. I don't use WhatsApp even though we have an app for windows phone...I got my friends on telegram. I don't use snapchat so there are other ways for me to stay up to date on whatever stupid bs they are talking about or for a random loser guy to snap me something inappropriate.

No, I don't know everyone's life but when I see adults following trends or whining over snapchat(and you're like over the age of 30), yeah I kinda have to just lol at that. But to each their own. Word of mouth is powerful....so is not following behind what your friends are doing. I know many people who got something based off their friends only to hate it later.
    I understand what you are saying here and I generally agree. It's silly to get a phone just because your friends/social circle has it. Thankfully our friend group uses GroupMe which is multi-platform and also works with texts too.
    My mom uses Android, so it's slightly different there. I think you are underestimating the uses of Snapchat. What you said is a good amount of the uses for it, but there are other cool ways that people use it, like celebs and such. Not all of them use it the same way of course, but how some of them use it is pretty cool.
    GMC262 and Guytronic like this.
    04-07-2016 12:51 PM
    I also don't follow or idolize celebs so snapchat is irrelevant to me. Kinda sad that is how the world is....people are followers :P

I do wish someone would come up and challenge the monopoly that is snapchat. While WhatsApp is incredibly popular, there are some good challengers out there for it.

I understand what you are saying here and I generally agree. It's silly to get a phone just because your friends/social circle has it. Thankfully our friend group uses GroupMe which is multi-platform and also works with texts too.
    My mom uses Android, so it's slightly different there. I think you are underestimating the uses of Snapchat. What you said is a good amount of the uses for it, but there are other cool ways that people use it, like celebs and such. Not all of the, use it the same way of course, but how some of them use it is pretty cool.
    04-07-2016 12:54 PM
    haha I SO agree!
    04-07-2016 06:11 PM
    I would've love to see them dunk that Lumia 640 in the water, just to see how well it would cope.
    04-07-2016 08:17 PM
    Seems to me that if I buy a phone for more than $200 I shouldn't need to buy a protector. The more expensive a phone is I would have expected the company to engineer a good phone and not some fragile piece of trash. Starting from my Lumia 920 all of my Lumias have been great in terms of durability no cover no screen protector.
    04-07-2016 09:37 PM
    There is a lot more than just durability. As always the latest and greatest specs will cost. I used to think I needed it but now realize that the middle of the road is perfect ($200 - $350 range cost) as I typically get a new device every 2 years or so. By the time the phone is left behind in dev support, I have moved along.
    libra89 and TgeekB like this.
    04-07-2016 10:34 PM
    Lumia phones are notoriously good. I can't count the number of times I dropped my 920, with it even skittering across a train plaform. The curled corners being the only tell-tale sign of the drops, proving that polycarbonate will often even beat metal phones. And I have never put a screen cover on any of my phones. Next up, my 930. I only dropped it twice, the first time on edge on the hardwood floor in our kitchen. The glue on the case came loose and I panicked. But a single snap put it bak into place, and after a hard year without any protection at all, the phone is pristine. My 950 has been fortunate and not dropped. I have gone back to the orginal case after sporting a Mozo case for a time, and I enjoy the thinness and lightness. as usual, I do not protect the screen and only use a case when I want a kickstand for video. As it is only a couple month old, not many drops, but the flat screen I was spooked about shows no hint of any damage and again, even the "cheap" looking case is pristine, not even showing discoloration (white).
    04-08-2016 12:44 AM
    so should u put a case on lumias? will the cases prevent the disassembly and hence do more harm than good? any advice? I have been looking for answers for a while now.
    04-08-2016 02:21 AM
    Twitter is the be-all for news, DM, real time updates, pictures, even video. It's across all platforms. All celebrities that matter use it. Snapchat won't be here in 5 years. Heck, even Obama is on Twitter.
    04-08-2016 03:12 AM
    Very clickbait title there, man. The 640 beat the iPhone in being dropped, but not being bent, so that's basically a tie. The video was about testing the budget phones anyway, not the iPhone. Seems like a Microsoft pandering thread that's been created.

But, it's nice to see the durability on it stand out. I wonder what makes it so durable, beyond having bendable, cheap plastic.
    Didn't you see that the 640 beat all other 3 phones overall? The test was made by an insurance company. Nobody's pandering. That said, the iPhone is notoriously a low quality phone.
    04-08-2016 03:23 AM
    just wondering where you are getting your "poopyfinger" from poopyfinger?
    04-08-2016 09:23 AM
    so should u put a case on lumias? will the cases prevent the disassembly and hence do more harm than good? any advice? I have been looking for answers for a while now.
    It depends on the case. There's no harm with putting one on though.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-08-2016 10:13 AM
    Didn't you see that the 640 beat all other 3 phones overall? The test was made by an insurance company. Nobody's pandering. That said, the iPhone is notoriously a low quality phone.
    That's some high-level junk you're throwing out.

1. The title of this thread is "640 beats the iPhone," when the latter was more a passing note than anything, I took issue with that, and you argued a totally different point about the phones that were in the video, but not the title.
    2. If you think that "the iPhone is notoriously a low quality phone," you're on drugs or completely ignorant to technology. I can't stand iOS. I can't stand Apple. That doesn't make their products bad. They've long been able to do a lot of things well, from SoC deign to displays to camera algorithms to minimizing risk for users through strong security (even fighting the FBI over it) and simplicity of design (one thing that makes me hate iOS, but is fine for the masses). That sentence is the exact pandering-to-this-site crap that I didn't like about the title to this thread.
    04-08-2016 10:21 AM
    Title edited for clarity.
    Guytronic and charktorious like this.
    04-08-2016 12:16 PM
    Unfortunately I dropped my 640 from about a height of a yard while walking onto concrete. The glass is toast. :(

I have parts hopefully arriving by early next week, but it's still a bad fall. But it did shake off an earlier fall from maybe 2-2.5 feet onto tile. Although it was flat on its back and seemed lighter than some other phones I've handled that have slipped off of surfaces.

If you tend to drop phones, cannot afford any damage, or are OK with trading compactness for protection than absolutely.

Cases are not permanent attachments. The only potential harm I see is that it makes the phone bulkier during use.

just wondering where you are getting your "poopyfinger" from poopyfinger?
    Don't ask, don't tell!
    libra89, Guytronic and RumoredNow like this.
    04-08-2016 01:33 PM
    That's some high-level junk you're throwing out.

1. The title of this thread is "640 beats the iPhone," when the latter was more a passing note than anything, I took issue with that, and you argued a totally different point about the phones that were in the video, but not the title.
    2. If you think that "the iPhone is notoriously a low quality phone," you're on drugs or completely ignorant to technology. I can't stand iOS. I can't stand Apple. That doesn't make their products bad. They've long been able to do a lot of things well, from SoC deign to displays to camera algorithms to minimizing risk for users through strong security (even fighting the FBI over it) and simplicity of design (one thing that makes me hate iOS, but is fine for the masses). That sentence is the exact pandering-to-this-site crap that I didn't like about the title to this thread.
    I agree. Put the iPhone6 next to the 640 and it will best the 640 in many areas, I can't see how anyone would argue otherwise.

However, bang-for-the-buck (especially the AT&T variant) the 640 simply cannot be beat. I love having a phone that I can throw in my pocket, without a bulky case, and I don't care if if gets a little scratched up. And the fact that it does well in torture tests like this is just icing on the cake.
    04-08-2016 10:22 PM
    Unfortunately I dropped my 640 from about a height of a yard while walking onto concrete. The glass is toast. :(

I have parts hopefully arriving by early next week, but it's still a bad fall. But it did shake off an earlier fall from maybe 2-2.5 feet onto tile. Although it was flat on its back and seemed lighter than some other phones I've handled that have slipped off of surfaces.

If you tend to drop phones, cannot afford any damage, or are OK with trading compactness for protection than absolutely.

Cases are not permanent attachments. The only potential harm I see is that it makes the phone bulkier during use.

Don't ask, don't tell!
    I ran my 1020 without a case first. It was nerve racking. I now have the spek case for it. It is only marginally bigger than the phone, and gives great grip and good protection. I never comes off my phone. I may peel it off again soon just to clean under it. But I give the spek cases a 10 outta 10 for design and protection. When I get my 950xl, it will be one of the cases I rock for sure.
    04-17-2016 05:25 AM
69 123