640: Budget Phone Durability Champion

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: 640 beats the iPhone

Twitter is the be-all for news, DM, real time updates, pictures, even video. It's across all platforms. All celebrities that matter use it. Snapchat won't be here in 5 years. Heck, even Obama is on Twitter.

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Very clickbait title there, man. The 640 beat the iPhone in being dropped, but not being bent, so that's basically a tie. The video was about testing the budget phones anyway, not the iPhone. Seems like a Microsoft pandering thread that's been created.

But, it's nice to see the durability on it stand out. I wonder what makes it so durable, beyond having bendable, cheap plastic.

Didn't you see that the 640 beat all other 3 phones overall? The test was made by an insurance company. Nobody's pandering. That said, the iPhone is notoriously a low quality phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

so should u put a case on lumias? will the cases prevent the disassembly and hence do more harm than good? any advice? I have been looking for answers for a while now.

It depends on the case. There's no harm with putting one on though.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Didn't you see that the 640 beat all other 3 phones overall? The test was made by an insurance company. Nobody's pandering. That said, the iPhone is notoriously a low quality phone.

That's some high-level junk you're throwing out.

1. The title of this thread is "640 beats the iPhone," when the latter was more a passing note than anything, I took issue with that, and you argued a totally different point about the phones that were in the video, but not the title.
2. If you think that "the iPhone is notoriously a low quality phone," you're on drugs or completely ignorant to technology. I can't stand iOS. I can't stand Apple. That doesn't make their products bad. They've long been able to do a lot of things well, from SoC deign to displays to camera algorithms to minimizing risk for users through strong security (even fighting the FBI over it) and simplicity of design (one thing that makes me hate iOS, but is fine for the masses). That sentence is the exact pandering-to-this-site crap that I didn't like about the title to this thread.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately I dropped my 640 from about a height of a yard while walking onto concrete. The glass is toast. :(

I have parts hopefully arriving by early next week, but it's still a bad fall. But it did shake off an earlier fall from maybe 2-2.5 feet onto tile. Although it was flat on its back and seemed lighter than some other phones I've handled that have slipped off of surfaces.

so should u put a case on lumias? will the cases prevent the disassembly and hence do more harm than good? any advice? I have been looking for answers for a while now.

If you tend to drop phones, cannot afford any damage, or are OK with trading compactness for protection than absolutely.

Cases are not permanent attachments. The only potential harm I see is that it makes the phone bulkier during use.

just wondering where you are getting your "poopyfinger" from poopyfinger?

Don't ask, don't tell!

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

That's some high-level junk you're throwing out.

1. The title of this thread is "640 beats the iPhone," when the latter was more a passing note than anything, I took issue with that, and you argued a totally different point about the phones that were in the video, but not the title.
2. If you think that "the iPhone is notoriously a low quality phone," you're on drugs or completely ignorant to technology. I can't stand iOS. I can't stand Apple. That doesn't make their products bad. They've long been able to do a lot of things well, from SoC deign to displays to camera algorithms to minimizing risk for users through strong security (even fighting the FBI over it) and simplicity of design (one thing that makes me hate iOS, but is fine for the masses). That sentence is the exact pandering-to-this-site crap that I didn't like about the title to this thread.

I agree. Put the iPhone6 next to the 640 and it will best the 640 in many areas, I can't see how anyone would argue otherwise.

However, bang-for-the-buck (especially the AT&T variant) the 640 simply cannot be beat. I love having a phone that I can throw in my pocket, without a bulky case, and I don't care if if gets a little scratched up. And the fact that it does well in torture tests like this is just icing on the cake.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately I dropped my 640 from about a height of a yard while walking onto concrete. The glass is toast. :(

I have parts hopefully arriving by early next week, but it's still a bad fall. But it did shake off an earlier fall from maybe 2-2.5 feet onto tile. Although it was flat on its back and seemed lighter than some other phones I've handled that have slipped off of surfaces.

If you tend to drop phones, cannot afford any damage, or are OK with trading compactness for protection than absolutely.

Cases are not permanent attachments. The only potential harm I see is that it makes the phone bulkier during use.

Don't ask, don't tell!

I ran my 1020 without a case first. It was nerve racking. I now have the spek case for it. It is only marginally bigger than the phone, and gives great grip and good protection. I never comes off my phone. I may peel it off again soon just to clean under it. But I give the spek cases a 10 outta 10 for design and protection. When I get my 950xl, it will be one of the cases I rock for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2