Should I buy another Windows Phone or switch to Android?

Nithin Vs

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I have both android and windows and I have to say apps and games are plenty in android and less in windows but I use both phones... I still love my wp .... If i have to make a decision like this i would go for android...

Mukul_19_97

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
After 2-3 years windows phone will be a very good option. It will take time to fill the app gap and other things (bugs, os lag, performance,speed etc.)

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I suppose so...

I`m considering an LG G2
Don't do a G2, that thing is ancient. If you really like LG, and I do, and I have had a G2, G3, G Flex 2 (current) your best bet would be to get a good used G4, or a V10. My G2 was perfect, G3, 2 cracked at the port under warranty, known issue, the G Flex 2, well it gets hot at times, but so far has been a solid performer. I am thinking V10 for my next one.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
On the phone all of those preloaded bloatware apps (Microsoft, AT&T, Uber, etc), when they can be "uninstalled", they are not truly uninstalled. They are still stored on the phone in the background.

You've completely misunderstood what is going on here.

In contrast to Android, if you can uninstall an app on W10M, then it is truly and completely removed from your OS installation. However, when you hard reset your phone, the OS is reinstalled from a reinstallation image. That's why a hard reset takes so long. That's like reinstalling W10 from an original DVD. That will result in a clean OS install, which will include all the default apps you previously deleted.

That doesn't mean apps stick around "in the background" of your OS installation.

Under the hood, W10M does the exact same thing your PC does when you use the "reset my computer" feature.

Last edited:

alinauman97

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Don't do a G2, that thing is ancient. If you really like LG, and I do, and I have had a G2, G3, G Flex 2 (current) your best bet would be to get a good used G4, or a V10. My G2 was perfect, G3, 2 cracked at the port under warranty, known issue, the G Flex 2, well it gets hot at times, but so far has been a solid performer. I am thinking V10 for my next one.

If money was not an issue, I`d be looking at a Nexus 5X, but unfortunately, I have to settle for a G2 for now and then buy something else once possible.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You've completely misunderstood what is going on here.
In contrast to Android, if you can uninstall an app on W10M, then it is truly and completely removed from your OS installation. However, when you hard reset your phone, the OS is reinstalled from a reinstallation image. That's why a hard reset takes so long. That's like reinstalling W10 from an original DVD. That will result in a clean OS install, which will include all the default apps you previously deleted.
That doesn't mean apps stick around "in the background" of your OS installation.
Under the hood, W10M does the exact same thing your PC does when you use the "reset my computer" feature.

I am not sure that is how it works. From any description of factory reset, the hard reset erases all your personal data and restores the factory defaults to the operating system. That is different than reimaging the operating system.

Even so, you cannot even uninstall basic apps from the operating system on Windows Mobile (Groove, Edge, Outlook, Office, etc). Suppose you prefer Firefox and only want to use Firefox on your phone. You have no option to change it. Suppose you want to use Spotify as your default music player and you never want to open Groove, you have no option. Suppose you prefer VLC to the stock video player...same thing.

I do not think you should use bloatware or inability to uninstall the apps that come preloaded on your phone as a reason to pick Windows Phone over any other phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure that is how it works. From any description of factory reset, the hard reset erases all your personal data and restores the factory defaults to the operating system. That is different than reimaging the operating system.

I'm a developer. I am sure. I agree that the description could be better though. I also agree with you that more apps should be removable, but there are limits to that... should the settings app be removable... probably not, but I think most of the others you mention should be.

I'm not here to defend W10M. I'm just telling you how it works.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely go for Android. MS has already given up by showing that so called list of core market. I don't think local devs will bother to develop apps for WP anymore, better move on.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that`s what makes this decision a tough one for me too... I am a big fan of the Windows Phone OS and I do like the direction they`re going in with Redstone, but the app gap is not something I can ignore anymore. Since the past month, I have been using an Android emulator as a temporary replacement for my busted Lumia, and I`ve got to say, the app quality on Android is far superior than on Windows Phone. I don`t like the Android OS much myself, but unfortunately, I think its time I try something different. Hopefully, after a couple of years or so, the situation will get better and I could consider returning, but I guess, until then I`m moving to Android.

I don't know if a die hard WP fan could ever "switch" but I don't see a problem with using another platform until MS returns to the phone market in 2017 if that is truly the plan. I still love the platform but its on a holding pattern and that's MS's decision to spend this time in development. I think that's a good thing. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss