Need New Phone (Please Help)

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Dear Friends,

I am looking to buy a new w10 phone. Could you please suggest me which one to go for?

I have previously used 1520 & 1020.

I am getting confused whether to buy 950 or wait for HP elite x3?

Why 950 is better then lower end mobile like 530 or 630 etc? All get the latest windows update (Insider preview builds).

Please give your views.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Dear Friends,

I am looking to buy a new w10 phone. Could you please suggest me which one to go for?

Why 950 is better then lower end mobile like 530 or 630 etc? All get the latest windows update (Insider preview builds).

Please give your views.

hp elite x3 isn't released yet, will most likely be expensive, will most likely be for certain countries only and not available to general consumers
950 is better because it has a better camera, camera button, expandable storage, continuum feature, windows hello and other benefits

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Dear Friends,

Please give your views.

Simply 950 is like a Lamborghini, and 530 a Tata :p
All both drinks gasoline, but guess the difference :D

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes thats true. But i really think new phone would be on the way soon with finger print sensor and 950 would be out dated.

Better to wait or buy now?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes thats true. But i really think new phone would be on the way soon with finger print sensor and 950 would be out dated.

Better to wait or buy now?

I think it's going to take a good while before the 950 is outdated. Do you have to wait or are you just considering doing it? As in is your current phone dying? In my short experience, W10M runs better with 1 gb ram, 512 mb just isn't the business.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
What phone are you coming from?
It depends on if you can wait, if you can wait a year (assuming you can't buy a new phone in a year again), I would wait for the 2017 offering... or if I needed a phone right now get the cheapest one that can run W10m and see what MS does next year.
I ended up getting a 735 (Verizon) when my 8x was dying and the 950's weren't coming to Verizon, as it wasn't that much more expensive than the lowest model Verizon offered and gave me performance akin to my old 8x... but that was a few months before the 950's came out...

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
if you wait a bit I'm sure you can get a 950 for less than 300$ new on ebay, prices are going down and they will keep going down, last time I saw it selling for 385$ brand new, and phones like the icon 1520 920 etc have apparently hit rock bottom, because they all cost the same on ebay, like that's the actual production cost and they cant realistically go lower, just lol :p

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
From Swappa Price.
946d79f777bfc0d07e5cf40cb36ab5a6.jpg

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If your 1520 still works, then I'd suggest holding on to it. I have a 1520 and I think the 950 XL is not an upgrade. It's more expensive, and doesn't bring anything important, only some gimicky features for kids.
If you have no phone, then go for it, why not.
As for the HP Elite x3, that's a business device and you'll probably have a HARD time getting your hands on it. Plus it's gonna be quite expensive, and it's basicly the same as the 950 XL.
There's not much going on in the Win10M world right now. If you want a budget device, I suggest the L640, a midrange would be a 640 XL, and a flagship would be the 950 XL.

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Elite X3 FTW. Last windows phone I had was the 1520(since September 2015). My 640 comes tomorrow, I'll use it to see how things are going with w10m. I believe the HP would be between $600-700 and would probably be out at the end of June or July. Pretty sure you could also buy it online directly from her HP.
Caution: all information provided are directly from HP reps and are not 100% guaranteed to be correct :p

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Elite X3 FTW. Last windows phone I had was the 1520(since September 2015). My 640 comes tomorrow, I'll use it to see how things are going with w10m. I believe the HP would be between $600-700 and would probably be out at the end of June or July. Pretty sure you could also buy it online directly from her HP.
Caution: all information provided are directly from HP reps and are not 100% guaranteed to be correct :p

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Nice info. I think hp is another company that would be able to do timely distribution. I would expect to see them here down southern hemisphere in August.

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for some good advices.

Never an iPhone. :)

My 1520 is kept somewhere in the cupboard. will take out and check if it is working or dead.

If working will wait for 2017 offerings else will either take 950 or wait a month for elite x3. Guess running out of options :)

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Come on now... The 950XL is a big upgrade from the 1520.

More LTE-bands, Cat6 support, smaller, lighter, better screen, higher resolution, GG4, much faster SoC, better graphical performance, higher MicroSD support, more RAM, better cameras, more modern Bluetooth stack, updated gps stack, usb-c, iris-scanner (perfect during Winter), barometer, continuum, fast charging.

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Come on now... The 950XL is a big upgrade from the 1520.

More LTE-bands, Cat6 support, smaller, lighter, better screen, higher resolution, GG4, much faster SoC, better graphical performance, higher MicroSD support, more RAM, better cameras, more modern Bluetooth stack, updated gps stack, usb-c, iris-scanner (perfect during Winter), barometer, continuum, fast charging.

Hi Giddora,

950 XL is definitely an upgraded version of windows phone.

But with Snapdragon 820 already available & no fingerprint scanner shouldnt we expect new phones to be launched?

Yes i know 810 & 820 not vast difference in terms of performance to end users, it is policy of microsoft to confuse us. No fixed release cycle or pattern. Eg 1320 upgraded to 1520, 920 to 925 to 930 to 950 but no successors for 1020.

950 is already about 6-9 month old. I wouldnt want to buy a high end phone and in a month realise new & updated available.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trolling or anything and I don't want to start a big debate. But for now, I wouldn't advise anyone to get a Windows 10 Mobile phone. If you need a new phone right now, get an Android phone and wait a bit until MS gets its act together, if they ever do. You can still use MS' services if you like them until then but I wouldn't spend my money on a Microsoft platform for now. If I could tell myself that two months ago, I'd be happy.

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trolling or anything and I don't want to start a big debate. But for now, I wouldn't advise anyone to get a Windows 10 Mobile phone. If you need a new phone right now, get an Android phone and wait a bit until MS gets its act together, if they ever do. You can still use MS' services if you like them until then but I wouldn't spend my money on a Microsoft platform for now. If I could tell myself that two months ago, I'd be happy.

Hi,

I do understand what you mean. My brain says buy Android but for some reason i do not feel like quitting windows platform yet.

Thanks

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I do understand what you mean. My brain says buy Android but for some reason i do not feel like quitting windows platform yet.

Thanks
You could install w10 on 1520 and wait until Surface Phone or whatever new line-ups MS refreshes in 2017. You are already familiar by now, that WP doesn't need big monstrous specs to run, so the experience after upgrading to 950XL wouldn't be noticeable aside from features, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb