Will you consider getting a Windows phone if Windows 10 mobile gets Snapchat and Pokemon GO?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will you consider getting a windows phone if windows 10 mobile gets snapchat and pokemon GO?

If they turn up on Windows Phone... then I'm leaving!!! Awful apps!!!

you don't need to leave the system because they might come - no one would be forcing you to install them :winktongue:

ahmedamash

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Will you consider getting a windows phone if windows 10 mobile gets snapchat and pokemon GO?

They basically have to catch every new app launch in the market because at starting developer want to increase his app popularity once there app became popular they become more greedy and then its too difficult to make them work on windows os

Friend42

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

Absolutely, I would consider it.

It needs to match Windows Phone 8.1 (or even Android/CyanogenMod) in stability and general feel.

Cortana has regressed since 8.1, it needs to be fixed. (8.1 Cortana was foolproof. Now she crashed once, destroyed all my alarms and took a hard reset to make them work right again)

Maps needs to be on par with at least Apple Maps or something.

Well, as optimistic as I can be with Microsoft at the helm. Which isn't very.

He's got most of the points as to why Windows 10 Mobile is troubling at the moment, but what upsets me the most is that Microsoft would be making better versions of their apps on other platforms.

My list for me to switch to Windows Mobile is:

- Stability like Windows Phone 8

- The ability to install any .appx or .wap unsigned (Not even developer mode allows me do this without a computer)

- A solid Music+Video App (As seen on WP8 but got updated which made it awful)

- Real Promised Updates (It's sad that phones like the HTC M8 and many Lumia are being left out when they were promised Windows 10. I'm pretty sure they can handle the update)

- Allow better casting features, so when I'm watching videos on Edge, let there be a button that I tap that would cast to the Xbox, Chromecast, or whatever

- Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) support so I don't need someone to enter the password on my phone.

- YouTube, Snapchat, Better Instagram, etc.

- Integrated Messaging to Skype (like Hangouts and iMessage)

And if they somehow manage to let people use Project Islandwood publicly on unsigned apps, then it's a yes from me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If u want snapchat download Specter its a third party app. I have it a while and its insanely good features added on the daily.

Specter's days are numbered. Disregarding the lack of filters and other features many people use, the Casper API it piggybacks off of is going the way of the dodo.

Also not counting the temporary bans.

OK fine, it's not "dead" per se but still: https://www.facebook.com/casper4snapchat

If you're OK with the frequent temp bans... which most people probably won't be.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This kind of thread has been going on forever so here's my typical answers to this typical question:

Long story short Windows Mobile isn't smart enough, it lacks many things that are pretty much standard to other OS. Unlike Android, Windows Mobile can't really do that much its nowhere near what android can do. It also fall behind by a huge gap from iOS's "complete package" and oem supports. The OS and its creator are limiting its capabilities or perhaps its just what it is.

This is kind of a non-response. What can it not do other than run apps that don't exist?
- The ability to install any .appx or .wap unsigned (Not even developer mode allows me do this without a computer)

You can install an appx on the phone without a PC - simply use Edge to navigate to the developer portal and install.
- Allow better casting features, so when I'm watching videos on Edge, let there be a button that I tap that would cast to the Xbox, Chromecast, or whatever

There is a Cast button from Edge. I think you're a little out of date on your list here.
- Integrated Messaging to Skype (like Hangouts and iMessage)

I Skype an SMS from the same place even in production WM10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

If u choose your phone whether there is snapchat or pokemon availability, there is something wrong with you!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

For people in my circle:
1. They hate the UI (silly I know but the don't want to give it a shot)
2. This/that app not available.
3. App is available but has minimal options compared to their device.
4. They're so used to there device and it would move them out of their comfort zone.
5. ............
.... ok, well I suck. Got stuck at 4. Thank god this isn't Family Feud lol

They hate the UI because they don't know it beyond what MS shows. MS doesn't advertise the power of the START and the ability to customize look/feel to your needs and to look cool haha.

Most of the people who have made that argument were indeed surprised when I showed them my start and actually loved it. A lot of people don't even know what windows phone is. Those that do don't know it outside of the bad START screens that were around when windows phone 8 was still in phone kiosks or selling. And until MS has some design enforcement rules that allow tile customization for regular/transparent and live tiles on/off it is sort of a mess you have to work your way around. I would love for all my tiles to be transparent but I can't design things the way I want because they aren't nor is MS doing anything about it.

Also they need a setting for background picture with a check mark to blur it so people don't have to use separate apps to do it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This is kind of a non-response. What can it not do other than run apps that don't exist?

I Skype an SMS from the same place even in production WM10.

Well, I'm not who you were replying to but...

1. I can't get a standard IMAP email account to work on Windows 10 Mobile while my iPhone can take it.

Cortana on W10M falls back to web searches more than she should.
Unless the new Facebook app changes, Windows 10 Mobile will lose Facebook calendar and contact syncing.
iOS's accessibility options put W10M to shame.
Inferior stock apps at times.

2. Yes that's how it is in production. But that's changing in the Anniversary update. AGAIN. And it's going to be Skype first, which I'm not too excited about knowing what I know about Skype.

Last edited:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

They hate the UI because they don't know it beyond what MS shows. MS doesn't advertise the power of the START and the ability to customize look/feel to your needs and to look cool haha.

Most of the people who have made that argument were indeed surprised when I showed them my start and actually loved it. A lot of people don't even know what windows phone is. Those that do don't know it outside of the bad START screens that were around when windows phone 8 was still in phone kiosks or selling. And until MS has some design enforcement rules that allow tile customization for regular/transparent and live tiles on/off it is sort of a mess you have to work your way around. I would love for all my tiles to be transparent but I can't design things the way I want because they aren't nor is MS doing anything about it.

Also they need a setting for background picture with a check mark to blur it so people don't have to use separate apps to do it.

I doubt Microsoft will ever enforce some sort of design rules for the Start screen. They haven't done it for WP7-10 now. It means having to use a separate app to create dumb tiles with no information to accomplish the task. Would be nice though.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

If they turn up on Windows Phone... then I'm leaving!!! Awful apps!!!

Where would you go? To one of the other two phone platforms that also have them? Seems like a non-argument to me.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Where would you go? To one of the other two phone platforms that also have them? Seems like a non-argument to me.

It's called sarcasm.... I apologise for my dry British humour!!!!

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site

These apps make zero difference to me. I'm already very uninterested in Pokemon, and Snapchat - so what! I can achieve what I need that it offers via many alternative options and I prefer to have fewer rather than more apps installed.

ahmedamash

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site

U are uninterested in pokemon,and snapchat because u dont have them

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

If u choose your phone whether there is snapchat or pokemon availability, there is something wrong with you!

There are many more than just two. New apps will come out or old apps get updated. Windows phone with 1% market share will have to wait and sometimes never.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

I will buy it, with or without the stupid snapchat, pokemon, mario or prince of f-ing persia

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

I already have a new Lumia 950 XL. I doubt I would bother with Snapchat and Pok?mon Go if they were available.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

All I need is for Tmobile to get flagship WM phone with wifi calling and I'll come back.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

There was a 3rd party snap chat app that got shutdown a few years ago. We all know that's never gonna happen. Apple, Android then WP in 3rd place that's the way it's gonna be. We will never get to Apple or Android's level. All WP is doing is shutting down apps rather than keeping them to fill in the app gap. The app gap just keeps getting larger and larger, we're never gonna catch up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077