Will you consider getting a Windows phone if Windows 10 mobile gets Snapchat and Pokemon GO?

deepakrautela

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Will you consider getting a windows phone if windows 10 mobile gets snapchat and pokemon GO?

Recent news says that Microsoft's store team is working on options to get theses apps to the platform.
Does the lack of just these 2 apps restricts people from choosing windows mobile platform? (Windows 10 mobile is a lot more stable then it was earlier. Yes, its still buggy but so do android)

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will you consider getting a windows phone if windows 10 mobile gets snapchat and pokemon GO?

Does the lack of just these 2 apps restricts people from choosing windows mobile platform? (Windows 10 mobile is a lot more stable then it was earlier. Yes, its still buggy but so do android)

There's so much more that an OS lacking a couple of apps that keep them away. I was prepared to list a lot of things but so many things went thru my brain so fast I wore myself out and want to take a nap now. :grincry:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you consider getting a windows phone if windows 10 mobile gets snapchat and pokemon GO?

I suspect for children who play and enjoy this level of activity, they would grab the device that allows that. Having the application available would at least remove it as a stumbling block.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

There's so much more that an OS lacking a couple of apps that keep them away. I was prepared to list a lot of things but so many things went thru my brain so fast I wore myself out and want to take a nap now. :grincry:
Wake your brain long enough to list 5 "things".

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

For people in my circle:
1. They hate the UI (silly I know but the don't want to give it a shot)
2. This/that app not available.
3. App is available but has minimal options compared to their device.
4. They're so used to there device and it would move them out of their comfort zone.
5. ............
.... ok, well I suck. Got stuck at 4. Thank god this isn't Family Feud lol

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This kind of thread has been going on forever so here's my typical answers to this typical question:

Long story short Windows Mobile isn't smart enough, it lacks many things that are pretty much standard to other OS. Unlike Android, Windows Mobile can't really do that much its nowhere near what android can do. It also fall behind by a huge gap from iOS's "complete package" and oem supports. The OS and its creator are limiting its capabilities or perhaps its just what it is.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Snapchat and Pokemon GO wouldn't entice me as an older user frankly.
Age and place play a big role with any OS.

• Geeks want complex with tons of features/apps.
  • Students will want help with studies and communication including associations with their circles.
  • Youthful users need social communication, games other ways to tie to family and friends in the most popular way.
  • Business users need communication, organizational, mapping, financial and other work oriented features
  • Day to day users may want note taking, shopping, web search or keep in touch apps.
  • The older user may want a phone for safety, or perhaps to track health, call someone or snap a picture here and there.

Simply depends on the situation.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely, I would consider it.

Those two are the two major hurdles at this moment in time. (and the 640 would last a lot longer catching Pokemon than my iPhone)

There are smaller things like my credit union, PayPal, Windows Central Forums and Venmo that are missing or broken, but I can probably make do with a daily driver that does not have them. I can try to overlook most of Microsoft's neglect too.

I just need Windows 10 Mobile to hit the basic requirements I have for an OS.

It needs to match Windows Phone 8.1 (or even Android/CyanogenMod) in stability and general feel.
It's close on the surface, but once I get in, the rough spots become apparent.
(crashing photos, broken features, camera app has failed me in the past, I can't type too fast, etc. I've written about it's shortcomings in my Adventures thread.)

It needs to cover the basic features. It does most of it, but it won't let me tune IMAP settings so I can't get email from one of my accounts. Basic IMAP email!
Cortana has regressed since 8.1, it needs to be fixed. (8.1 Cortana was foolproof. Now she crashed once, destroyed all my alarms and took a hard reset to make them work right again)
Groove needs to be bulletproof. It wasn't a couple months ago. I plan on trying again soon.
Maps needs to be on par with at least Apple Maps or something.

I'll reevaluate it when the Redstone/Anniversary update hits. Cortana doesn't crash when searching anymore like she did in 10586, so I'm optimistic.

Well, as optimistic as I can be with Microsoft at the helm. Which isn't very.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

thats like asking me if i would use a mac/linux if they ever got decent gaming titles, what would be the point? thats just playing catch up, it needs to offer a lot more to entice a move

khaled22

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

I believe its the general app problem that people dont consider windows phone. Im happy with it but i wouldn't mind to have more apps /games to try them out or at least i would know that they exist and in any time i could use them. A friend of mine is leaving once his contract expires in 1-2 months because of his work and as a dual sim user he needs some apps that are only available on ios and android. As iphone even with contract is expensive he's going to android again. First attempt with android mobile ended crashing on the wall. Unless microsoft makes some serious moves regarding app gap/development its going to be difficult to even see any major companies having apps

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Snapchat and Pokemon GO wouldn't entice me as an older user frankly.
Age and place play a big role with any OS.

• Geeks want complex with tons of features/apps.
  • Students will want help with studies and communication including associations with their circles.
  • Youthful users need social communication, games other ways to tie to family and friends in the most popular way.
  • Business users need communication, organizational, mapping, financial and other work oriented features
  • Day to day users may want note taking, shopping, web search or keep in touch apps.
  • The older user may want a phone for safety, or perhaps to track health, call someone or snap a picture here and there.

Simply depends on the situation.
Then again Windows 10 Mobile fail to meet these requirements

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

For people in my circle:
2. This/that app not available.
3. App is available but has minimal options compared to their device.
I just need Windows 10 Mobile to hit the basic requirements I have for an OS.

It needs to match Windows Phone 8.1 (or even Android/CyanogenMod) in stability and general feel.
It's close on the surface, but once I get in, the rough spots become apparent.
(crashing photos, broken features, camera app has failed me in the past, I can't type too fast, etc. I've written about it's shortcomings in my Adventures thread.)

Cortana has regressed since 8.1, it needs to be fixed. (8.1 Cortana was foolproof. Now she crashed once, destroyed all my alarms and took a hard reset to make them work right again)
Groove needs to be bulletproof. It wasn't a couple months ago. I plan on trying again soon.
Maps needs to be on par with at least Apple Maps or something.

I'll reevaluate it when the Redstone/Anniversary update hits. Cortana doesn't crash when searching anymore like she did in 10586, so I'm optimistic.

Well, as optimistic as I can be with Microsoft at the helm. Which isn't very.
For me, it's really what they both said.

It annoys me so much to use the Windows 10 KB because it is so slow. Ugh. Word Flow on iOS feels as fast as 8.1 was with the keyboard. I love the "jump" animation on keyboards because of 8.1!

For me, it also goes back to the app thing. While I'm glad that Instagram has the same look and icon as it does on iOS and Android, I feel like it's kind of annoying. Aside from it being kind of slow (still use it anyway though), the notification thing on the live tile bugs me since it doesn't seem to go away until I turn off my phone, even after opening the app.
Sadly, the quality of some apps just can't be erased from my mind, i.e. Kindle. Don't need to say anymore.

Indifferent about Snapchat and Pokemon Go, but if the system itself can work better and faster, along with some app improvements, I would feel better personally about buying a new Windows 10 mobile.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

It never fails to surprise me when i hear, "it's a nice looking phone and stuff, but the stupid thing doesn't even have Snapchat".

Basically Microsoft needs to get and stay ontop of NEW devs and startups as viral/trending apps are launched. Being even a month late approaching these people is way too late.

I'm a dev, and it's the most annoying thing when the majors won't even give you/us the time of day for dirt-cheap programming.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

the consideration for getting a mobile device depends on so many factors - 2 apps alone cannot be the only reason to get a phone. What if you had snapchat and pokemon go but you don't have mobile office?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site

Seems like there are just about 100 users out of the 2% market share that actually don't have problems with stability of Windows 10 Mobile. Something must be really wrong here - if I was silly I would think I have a different system on my phone when I read issues other people have. Yes, I did have a problem with battery drain but a hard reset solved it. Yes, it's true that there are some apps that are missing on W10M platform, but I am really curious what features do people complaining about how little features does W10M have need. And I am talking about system features, not apps.
As it goes for Snapchat and Pok?mon Go, it would definitely make the platform more interesting to young generations.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

As an older user, I can say with 100% certainty that I would never use either of those two apps. So the availability or lack thereof would not impact my decision on what mobile device platform I would choose. I just need a phone that can make and receive phone calls and text messages, handle Skype calls, provide basic GPS mapping and driving directions, and can stream my music from the cloud or from an SD card. So far my 640 handles all these requirements perfectly for me at a price well below what Android or iOS platforms offer. I have no games or other time wasting apps on my phone, and I intend on keeping it that way.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

Pokemon go is not just for children, As a business owner its also a good traffic driver for 99c. Coin to Pokelure to Pokestop.

BTW, why can't microsoft just make an app that works like Snapchat, not like some optional feature but a full app. It seems to be preferred method for young children, to have their messages automatically disappear, always. Look at Groupme success.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

If u want snapchat download Specter its a third party app. I have it a while and its insanely good features added on the daily.

Pokemon go in my opinion is an absolute waste of time! If your over 12 years old then its time to grow up lol. Thank the windows phone gods its not on our platform. Don't want it ill never want it. Stupid to not chose a phone OS because of two apps.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

If they turn up on Windows Phone... then I'm leaving!!! Awful apps!!!

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

If u want snapchat download Specter its a third party app. I have it a while and its insanely good features added on the daily.

Pokemon go in my opinion is an absolute waste of time! If your over 12 years old then its time to grow up lol. Thank the windows phone gods its not on our platform. Don't want it ill never want it. Stupid to not chose a phone OS because of two apps.

I think Pok?monGo is the best app I have seen in a long time. I have never seen an app cause as many people to interact in a friendly way in person. It is encouraging people to exercise. It is increasing walking traffic to and around businesses. Most people playing it are in their 20s I think. I know at least one random person that is switching from Windows Phone because this app is not available and he is left out of the group with others playing.

I must say neither of those apps would cause me to switch back to Windows Phone, but having them around and updated would help. Basically, I would like to see some stability (no more reboots/retrenching) and longterm (greater than 2 years) support from Microsoft, OEMs, and app developers. I have waited long enough personally, and the only thing that would cause me to switch is to have to wait on nothing else. Microsoft should get rid of Windows Mobile is my honest opinion until it is completely ready from every aspect. My last experience was so bad that I stopped justifying things like paying for Groove because the competitor's services are sometimes better. I would even consider trying out other operating systems before buying my next computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234