W10 Mobile or Android?

smedinghoff

May 10, 2013
Visit site
So I'm about to be in a strange place. I'm going to be leaving my current employer who provided me with an iPhone 6+ for business and personal use. So I'm going to be in the smartphone market again in the coming months. I can't take iPhone anymore, so I'm deciding between Android and W10 Mobile.
Let me preface this by saying, I'm a big Windows fan, I'm an Insider, I enjoy 10 on the desktop, tablet and phone, and I'm aware of the limitations when it comes from mobile. That being said, I also really enjoy Android, I had the HTC EVO 4G, one of the first real Android super-phones to compete with iPhone. And I also have had Nexus and Galaxy devices over the years, so I'm very familiar with the Android ecosystem as well.

At the same time, I'm going to be moving, I want to set up my new house with all the smart home things. I also want a decent car experience.

So my question is, do I find a deal on a 950/XL, or do I get a good Android phone? Or some combination like a 950 and an Android tablet to get all the apps/smart home stuff?

My last experience with W10 Mobile was on a Lumia 928 running insider fast ring. So I have had zero experience with the mobile version of Redstone 1. So I'm not as sure how things have moved forward in that regard, and I have less of an insight on the current state of the "App Gap" other than what I can see from the W10 desktop experience with apps.

Looking for thoughts, opinions and insights. Not looking to start a ****** war. I'll be buying around the Sept/Nov time frame, so that also leaves times for new iPhone, Nexus, or maybe an interesting W10 handset? I believe in Microsoft's vision of the future (Xbox Live/365 subscriber here) I'm just worried that it's not here yet, but at the same time, I feel like supporting them now, will help actually make that future a reality because I'm one more user now, not a potential customer.

Let me know what you guys think.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Moved to phone wars...

As far as WM handsets the Jade Primo and of course the HP x3 look very good to me.
For all the things you mentioned that you like to interact with good Android handsets might be the better choice at this time.

I would say it boils down to what you can do without on Windows and then what you can put up with on Android.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, you do have an interesting situation. I can't speak on the car situation (my car doesn't even support BT and I'm okay with that) but I'll see if I can help otherwise.

You do already know out the gate that Android has more smart home options. Right now, if you are okay with buying secondhand, you can find 950 and the XL of it under $400. If you want to have the best of both, you can have the 950 and the tablet. There are some solid Android options.

Aside from smart home stuff, what apps are essential/important for you to have? If you can share that, that will help us.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would go with a Nexus phone. The flexibility to go with Microsoft services, the app selection, the security updates from Google...

Of course, I would also recommend picking up a cheap Windows Phone like the 640 used, just to dip your toe into the W10M waters. The app gap varies for everyone, but there are still some inherent shortcomings that may be an issue. It's moved forward a lot since the days you've used it though.

I think the app gap will be very apparent when you try to do smart home stuff.

As for the car, I like the way Cortana handles messages when she works. But on the other hand, I never used Google Now in the car.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
While I really like some things about W10M, I'd highly suggest that you pick up the Nexus 6P. It's a very well designed and well performing device. Screen is beautiful. Camera is right up there with my 950XL. Fingerprint unlock. You get all of the MS apps, plus whatever other app you could possibly need. Good luck with your choice.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I used Android Auto on a 2016 Chevy Colorado from work and it was abysmal. Lots of freezes and generally non-functional. Motorola devices were much better than Samsungs but very troublesome maintaining a connection and wouldn't disconnect without rebooting the phone. That was the only effective method of disconnecting after getting out of the truck.

A very brief time with an iPhone 6S Plus yielded a good connection and functional experience but awful voice quality. I tried with an iPhone SE and found the same voice quality issues. Music playback was excellent though.

My experience with a 950 was simply perfect. Quick re-connects, voice and music playback was off the charts and Cortana SMS read-aloud was excellent.

HOWEVER......there is something that happened with other WM10 devices in this truck. Whenever a phone call came in and the stereo went mute, there was always a loud thump come through the speakers. This only happened with WM10 devices and I got used to it. The first time it happened I thought a coconut fell on the truck (I was parked under a tree avoiding the Miami sun).

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I'd consider not trying to get the complete solution, just to be timed with your moving: that would seem unlikely that it would all tie in so perfectly. As you're a strong Windows supporter and I assume that you like the system, then you could perhaps consider getting a stop gap lower cost windows phone that's not on contract, eg something like a $99. I know that's not ultra cheap, though you can get a windows 10 handset at that price. You could potentially couple this with a sim only contract or pay as you go plan, until you're sure which higher cost (if you're still needing it) handset and home tech platform that you're going to implement. If you need to implement it all this fall, then this option may not work for you.

I'm often really happy with shorter-term use of lower cost handsets, even though I prefer to have the cutting edge ones: I often realise that I don't need all that I assume that I do too, so save some money.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I had the HTC EVO 4G, one of the first real Android super-phones to compete with iPhone. And I also have had Nexus and Galaxy devices over the years, so I'm very familiar with the Android ecosystem as well..

The HTC EVO 4G LTE was my last Android phone. I loved it. I went from that one to a Lumia 1020 for no particular reason other than I had grown bored with Android and never really did find the OS visually appealing. I spent hours and hours trying to get the home screen pleasing to my eye, but never managed to find the right solution for me. I'm a curious sort, so I thought it would be time to experiment with something else.

The 1020 was a huge surprise. I loved using it and found the visual appeal of the OS to be surprisingly good. I recently switched to a 950 XL and have had a great experience with it. I have not had any of the issues I keep reading about in this forum. I particularly enjoy the integration with my Win 10 desktop and my Surface. I'm not a big app person and probably wouldn't bother with things like SnapChat or Pok?mon Go, so that's not a concern for me. Several times a year I get paper checks to deposit, so I just drag out the old EVO 4G LTE and run my credit union app. That's the only app I feel I'm missing with WM.

I can't make up your mind for you, but I can share my experience coming from HTC EVO 4G LTE to a couple of WM phones. It has been a good experience for me.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
You say that you'll be buying your phone between September - November 2016, so I'd say that you go for the HP Elite X3 or Lumia 950 XL. That way, you'll have a unified experience with your Windows 10 PC and all the Windows 10 goodness. You could also give the LG V20 or Samsung Galaxy Note 7 a shot if you decide to go the Android route.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have been on a iOS kick lately, been using my iPhone as a daily driver. If Apple is out I would go for a 950. W10M has come along way in the last year.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
At the same time, I'm going to be moving, I want to set up my new house with all the smart home things. I also want a decent car experience.

At this point in time, Windows simply doesn't have the smart home options of other ecosystems. If this is important to you than I'd go with Android and the best experience is on a Nexus device. However, a lot of the mid range phones from Chinese OEMs are looking very good but updates could be an issue.

Just comes down to your budget and what's important to you. Android Auto is fairly new but if you just want BT and connectivity in the car than any phone will usually work (there were issues in the past with Windows Phone and some bluetooth connections on car stereos). I have a Sony Z3 and use it with my new Kenwood Digital stereo (non Android Auto) via bluetooth. Works flawlessly. I use phone by voice command (Google Now) when necessary but I typically avoid using the phone while driving.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Most of the suggestions already point at an Android device and looks like it's going to win. However, I just have some concerns regarding Android devices:

- Security and safety - Android devices have been known to be hacked and are prone to "viruses" and malware (some of which can even be downloaded in the store); Windows Phones, on the other hand, has one of the best security implementations, and hence has not been hacked or infected by any virus;

- Bloatware and OS alterations - different phone manufacturers modify the OS and include a lot of unnecessary apps and features in their devices which are not part of the original OS; no such thing in Windows Phones;

- Performance issues - ever wondered why almost all Android devices come with 6 cores, 8 cores, (are the 12-core Android devices already out?)? That's because they will (eventually) need them. Android is written in such a way that it will grow in size over time, cluttering the system, which will eventually slow it down. All those cores are needed to "delay" the effects of the slowing down, long enough that the average user will hopefully not experience it until he or she decides to get a new phone. By the way, that's also the reason some of them come with extra-ordinarily huge battery capacities.

I'm not a fan, but these are the things (especially security) which made me stick with Windows Phones since Windows Mobile 5, and when my Lumia 1020 was already showing signs of aging and with unclear intentions from Microsoft whether they will be continuing Windows Mobile, I still didn't choose Android and moved over to an iPhone.

That said, to balance things out, the primary concern you should look at in Windows Mobile is the ambiguous stand of Microsoft. Are they going to release new phones? When?

mister greed

Banned
Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I definitely recommend windows 10 mobile. Came from a nexus and I can't be anymore happier with the 950 xl and will be getting the the HP phone. I do not recommend android at all.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Most of the suggestions already point at an Android device and looks like it's going to win. However, I just have some concerns regarding Android devices:

- Security and safety - Android devices have been known to be hacked and are prone to "viruses" and malware (some of which can even be downloaded in the store); Windows Phones, on the other hand, has one of the best security implementations, and hence has not been hacked or infected by any virus;

- Bloatware and OS alterations - different phone manufacturers modify the OS and include a lot of unnecessary apps and features in their devices which are not part of the original OS; no such thing in Windows Phones;

- Performance issues - ever wondered why almost all Android devices come with 6 cores, 8 cores, (are the 12-core Android devices already out?)? That's because they will (eventually) need them. Android is written in such a way that it will grow in size over time, cluttering the system, which will eventually slow it down. All those cores are needed to "delay" the effects of the slowing down, long enough that the average user will hopefully not experience it until he or she decides to get a new phone. By the way, that's also the reason some of them come with extra-ordinarily huge battery capacities.

I'm not a fan, but these are the things (especially security) which made me stick with Windows Phones since Windows Mobile 5, and when my Lumia 1020 was already showing signs of aging and with unclear intentions from Microsoft whether they will be continuing Windows Mobile, I still didn't choose Android and moved over to an iPhone.

That said, to balance things out, the primary concern you should look at in Windows Mobile is the ambiguous stand of Microsoft. Are they going to release new phones? When?

There's a few articles on Android Central about security. It's not an issue if you plan to stick to the Play store or a certified store like Amazon. Also sticking with a Nexus device means you have the latest updates. However, with Android 7 this will change for the better. Of course having your device updated to Android 7 is another issue but such is the life of Android. Yeah it's an issue but one more about cost than anything to do with Android itself.

Bloat is an issue but 99% of the time you can disable the apps and more and more companies are allowing you to delete them. More and more OEMS are going for a more vanilla experience in interface.

I've had my Sony Z3 for almost two years now. I've had no issues with my phone. Also there's nothing wrong having a huge battery as far as I'm concerned. Windows Phone was never a great OS for battery, well for me anyway.

I have nothing against Windows 10 nor anything against the phones but the weight of issue is around what apps are available for their use. If you want a smart home, Windows 10 isn't at the top of the stack for that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I definitely recommend windows 10 mobile. Came from a nexus and I can't be anymore happier with the 950 xl and will be getting the the HP phone. I do not recommend android at all.

Personal experience is not what's being asked here. Please read the OP to understand their use case.

Windows 10 is great but it may not suit everyone. Same goes for Android or iOS.

mister greed

Banned
Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
There's a few articles on Android Central about security. It's not an issue if you plan to stick to the Play store or a certified store like Amazon. Also sticking with a Nexus device means you have the latest updates. However, with Android 7 this will change for the better. Of course having your device updated to Android 7 is another issue but such is the life of Android. Yeah it's an issue but one more about cost than anything to do with Android itself.

Bloat is an issue but 99% of the time you can disable the apps and more and more companies are allowing you to delete them. More and more OEMS are going for a more vanilla experience in interface.

I've had my Sony Z3 for almost two years now. I've had no issues with my phone. Also there's nothing wrong having a huge battery as far as I'm concerned. Windows Phone was never a great OS for battery, well for me anyway.

I have nothing against Windows 10 nor anything against the phones but the weight of issue is around what apps are available for their use. If you want a smart home, Windows 10 isn't at the top of the stack for that.

And if car uses are what he is after then android also is not the top of that stack, IMO.

Disabling bloat is good and all but it is still there taking up space so disabling is essentially useless.

Security is a reason why I don't trust android. Far too many Devices get abandoned and ignored. Nexus is also a good bet if you want to go android but then on the flip side nexus only have getting updates going for them. There are much better android phones than the nexus line so you have to choose whether to settle for speedy updates or having a more well rounded device.

Ideally what my good friend has done with the smart home is he uses his windows phone alongside my old android tablet I gave him once I abandoned android earlier this year. Definitely works for him and if you wish to use Windows 10 mobile it is a good choice.

mister greed

Banned
Jul 25, 2016
Visit site

My last reply didn't work in the app, I guess. I also should try and follow up.....
I personally found Android in the car a poor experience for me and my needs.

Security is still a huge issue on Android, despite what others may say, Yes, it can be mitigated by making sure you use certified stores (As you should already) and Nexus devices......but even then...Android is far less secure than IOS/Windows 10 mobile.

Each android update, I heard promises of better security and in truth, it never amounts to anything. I expect the same with android 7.

Disabling bloat= still there. Taking up space. Cluttering up my ap drawer.

My nexus 6P's battery life was abysmal. My 950 Xl does have slightly better battery life, though not great either. The 1520 is still king.

OP, it's pretty simple....instead of choosing between the two, embrace the two. My friend has his Windows phone paired with his Android tablet (I gave him my old one) and combined together it makes an exceptional duo. He could never settle for android which he finds to be a haphazard mess lol

The 950 XL is an exceptional device and imo better than my 6p and most android phones (I do like Alcatel's Idol 4).

If you do go android for a phone, go with Oneplus 3.

that said, nothing wrong with being a dual user....you can even do the same with your iphone and a new windows device without needing to even get an android phone in the first place.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Security is still a huge issue on Android, despite what others may say, Yes, it can be mitigated by making sure you use certified stores (As you should already) and Nexus devices......but even then...Android is far less secure than IOS/Windows 10 mobile.

Can you tell me of any security issues you personally had while on Android? Just curious.

You are right, nothing wrong with being a dual user, they could get an Android tablet for home use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss