View Poll Results: Will you consider to move to Android for a Nokia flagship?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 32.69%
  • No

35 67.31%
09-02-2016 08:13 AM
53 123
tools
    I voted no because of their X2 abomination. A stock android experience might tip the scale for me.
    08-15-2016 04:53 AM
    ^ I think that was due to their dealings with MS rather than Nokia wanting to make something like that.
    libra89 and xandros9 like this.
    08-15-2016 05:00 AM
    No way! If for whatever reason MS will dump Windows I'd rather go for a reasonably priced refurbished iPhone than for any Android, Nokia or otherwise. Too many Androids doing the rounds already inviting lots of nasty people dumping nasty bloatware. So Android? Over my dead body!
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    08-15-2016 06:40 AM
    Who actually makes the surface devices? Is it MS or someone contracted to do it? It's a bit off topic
    08-15-2016 06:51 AM
    No way! If for whatever reason MS will dump Windows I'd rather go for a reasonably priced refurbished iPhone than for any Android, Nokia or otherwise. Too many Androids doing the rounds already inviting lots of nasty people dumping nasty bloatware. So Android? Over my dead body!
    WTF?? Nasty people dumping nasty bloatware? What are you talking about?

Who actually makes the surface devices? Is it MS or someone contracted to do it? It's a bit off topic
    I was wondering that myself but I was assuming the 'Surface team' would at least make the prototype. MS simply doesn't have the facilities to make phones anymore, especially in large quantities... err... well you know what I mean.
    Last edited by xandros9; 08-17-2016 at 06:05 PM.
    libra89 and techiez like this.
    08-15-2016 06:51 AM
    WTF?? Nasty people dumping nasty bloatware? What are you talking about?
    Haha, I just love your sarcasm!
    08-15-2016 07:27 AM
    Haha, I just love your sarcasm!
    I wasn't being sarcastic...
    08-15-2016 07:28 AM
    I wasn't being sarcastic...
    In that case let me give you a hint:

10 million Android devices reportedly infected with Chinese malware - CNET
    08-15-2016 07:33 AM
    Sorry, but I like my news from a reliable source.

What you need to know about HummingBad | Android Central

As usual, it's most likely overblown nonsense. That company that reports this stuff has a tendency to overstate the numbers.

Here's a hint, don't load apps from other places other than the Play Store. That's the same logic as loading software that's not trusted on the internet on a Windows PC. You take risks you have a possibility of getting stung. But hey, anything to bash an OS you don't like huh?
    08-15-2016 07:57 AM
    That is the same class of reporting as "Windows Phone is dead!". You know what we say about those articles here...
    08-15-2016 08:25 AM
    Sorry, but I like my news from a reliable source.

What you need to know about HummingBad | Android Central

As usual, it's most likely overblown nonsense. That company that reports this stuff has a tendency to overstate the numbers.

Here's a hint, don't load apps from other places other than the Play Store. That's the same logic as loading software that's not trusted on the internet on a Windows PC. You take risks you have a possibility of getting stung. But hey, anything to bash an OS you don't like huh?
    Not bashing or disliking Android. It's just a fact that it is much more likely for anybody to publish a app with a virus to millions of users than for an OS with very little support. And maybe the quoted 10 million infected devices are only 9 million, it is still a fact that lots of users got stung. And that you are clever enough to only download from the playstore doesn't mean that others can withstand the temptation to download a virus infected app....
    08-15-2016 08:28 AM
    They are manufactured by Pegatron Technology. A Taiwan based company.
    Chintan Gohel and xandros9 like this.
    08-15-2016 08:28 AM
    They are manufactured by Pegatron Technology. A Taiwan based company.
    So if MS decided to build and release the "Surface Phone", it would be outsourced most likely. Perhaps the design would be from MS but the actual manufacturing would be someone else.
    08-15-2016 08:33 AM
    Not bashing or disliking Android. It's just a fact that it is much more likely for anybody to publish a app with a virus to millions of users than for an OS with very little support. And maybe the quoted 10 million infected devices are only 9 million, it is still a fact that lots of users got stung. And that you are clever enough to only download from the playstore doesn't mean that others can withstand the temptation to download a virus infected app....
    Yes, a published app with a virus from a source outside the Play Store. So if you're silly enough to download that you deserve what you get. No different than a Windows PC user doing the same thing.

Google has safeguards in place to prevent that from happening, I'm not going to feel sorry for people who wish to install unprotected software.

Is Android more open to that sort of thing? Yes, just like Windows PC's which are still highly subjected to this sort of thing even today.

The reason I made any point about bashing is that you implied that Android was a problem. It's only a problem if you want it to be. Just like using a PC... Actually using a PC you're more open to hostile programs than on Android.

Let's also be clear that a user has to enable the ability to install apps from other sources on Android.

So if MS decided to build and release the "Surface Phone", it would be outsourced most likely. Perhaps the design would be from MS but the actual manufacturing would be someone else.
    Pretty much like most OEMs these days.
    Last edited by xandros9; 08-17-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    libra89, techiez, wgs84 and 2 others like this.
    08-15-2016 08:34 AM
    Depends on the device they put out, the price its at and how they treat Android. And if its good, I might pick it up used a couple years later because I almost never buy new these days.
    libra89, N_LaRUE, wgs84 and 3 others like this.
    08-15-2016 10:56 AM
    Tried it (Android) for 3 weeks and couldn't get into it. Something about it just bugs the hell out of me.
    vEEP pEEP and Pieter Wolff like this.
    08-15-2016 11:24 AM
    If Nokia builds an Android phone, I'm pretty much gone!
    wgs84 likes this.
    08-15-2016 11:53 AM
    i guess i will have to invest in some tools to turn everything google off. lol.
    08-15-2016 12:04 PM
    i guess i will have to invest in some tools to turn everything google off. lol.
    You'll not miss MS for sure. all its apps which on on WP and more are available on Play store. Heard MS even developed an android launcher.
    wgs84 likes this.
    08-15-2016 12:53 PM
    You'll not miss MS for sure. all its apps which on on WP and more are available on Play store. Heard MS even developed an android launcher.
    Yeah, the Arrow Launcher is pretty cool.
    techiez and aximtreo like this.
    08-15-2016 02:16 PM
    Absolutely YES. It is not even necessary to think it twice. I had a Lumia 1020 as a daily driver, my wife has a Lumia 830, I changed it for an iPhone 6s, now she's waiting for that Nokia flagship and dump Windows 10 Mobile for EVER. W10M such POS, device are not but Windows OS yes.
    xandros9, wgs84 and techiez like this.
    08-15-2016 10:56 PM
    Already made that leap. From Lumia 1520 to Huawei P9
    xandros9, wgs84 and techiez like this.
    08-16-2016 08:26 AM
    Yes. I'll consider.
    08-17-2016 04:01 PM
    Nokia sold the name "Nokia" in smartphones and mobile devices to Foxconn. It like GE and before that RCA sold their brand name to other companies for branding. That what happens when a company does not want to continue on with low profit products!
    xandros9 and aximtreo like this.
    08-18-2016 01:15 PM
    Nokia sold the name "Nokia" in smartphones and mobile devices to Foxconn. It like GE and before that RCA sold their brand name to other companies for branding. That what happens when a company does not want to continue on with low profit products!
    Ultimately, THIS is my biggest concern. I bet we're all imagining a nice Fabula 1520 or 920 with Android but seeing that Nokia branded iPad Mini knockoff from not-too-long-ago worries me.
    08-18-2016 02:04 PM
53 123