09-02-2016 03:12 PM
57 123
tools
    I feel sorry for people that are stuck with Verizon.

The number one reason: signal.

But wait... Check with people on AT&T or T-Mo who live and work where you do. Maybe coverage has improved. I feel like the old truism that Verizon covers more areas is gradually fading. I traveled all over the western US last year on an AT&T mvno and did not notice any connection issues. You might not be beholden to big red anymore.
    08-26-2016 11:09 PM
    Go.
    Try something new.
    You can always come back.
    08-26-2016 11:19 PM
    I bought a OnePlus 3 and I'm not coming back any time soon. It's a phone, not your house.
    scolab and rinosaur like this.
    08-26-2016 11:49 PM
    Both my wife and brother use zero apps, but both upgraded to the new iPhone because they just didn't even try the Windows Phone, even though it would have cost them nothing. They are just brainwashed even the carriers to avoid Windows Mobile
    So you as the husband/ the "other" brother couldn't convince them otherwise? In reality I'd say WPs status in the market place and history has a whole heck of a lot more to do with it than anyone being brainwashed, not to mention W10Ms dismal evolving and handset availability to name a few, if that weren’t the case then BlackBerry wouldn't be in their predicament either because some similarities abound but with one major difference, BBs handsets are readily available to me in multiple outlets.
    scolab likes this.
    08-27-2016 12:00 AM
    If you couldn't stand Android a couple of years ago, then you won't like it now either. Buying a shiny new device is pointless if you don't like the system that operates it.

So, there's no way for you to switch to a carrier that supports Windows?
    A couple of years is a fairly long time in the mobile world and things do change, for some platforms, OP might find Android a totally different experience especially now where hardware is concerned.

Don't agree w/switching carriers to gain support because that alone throws up a red flag especially in the WP camp. OP needs to look at the BIG picture before making a conscious decision as to the direction they want to pursue, we already know he likes the platform but has reservations due the lack of hardware, obviously what is now available or soon-to-be hasnt been enough of an enticement otherwise the question wouldnt have been raised.

I loved the platform prior to 2015 but slowly the cons began to outweigh the pros, prior to jumping ship we analyzed the platforms history going back to 2010 along with its progression at the time, wasnt a very comforting site from my perspective which resulted in my position today. Dont fault anyone for staying if they so choose but to base it off one or two entities or only by what some say is just fooling ones self, it is up to the individual to do their homework thoroughly and base it off that along with their intended usage.
    scolab and libra89 like this.
    08-27-2016 02:37 AM
    I agree. I was considering trying Android again. However, when I asked myself the reason I want to try that ecosystem, I only had one answer: Pokemon Go. And yeah, that's a very ****ty reason so still sticking to W10M.

And I'm really hoping Ms would revive the W10M hype (with new hardware and new OS features)
    scolab, Kevin Rush and aximtreo like this.
    08-27-2016 08:45 AM
    If you want to try something new and don't mind the upfront cost, try something else and return it if you don't like it after a week. Since they are different operating systems, there will be some adjusting required. But just like some things are nicer in Windows, some things are nicer in Android and iOS.
    Chintan Gohel, libra89 and scolab like this.
    08-27-2016 08:59 AM
    it is a trivial reason you are right, but in one way its a legitimate reason too, i say that because i have recently found myself using periscope, and there is no working client on windows phone - i am nearly at the point where i am going to find myself having to go to apple over ONE app, which is a damn shame considering most of my mobile ownership has been lumias and 99.9% of the time that phone/ecosystem is fine.

I agree. I was considering trying Android again. However, when I asked myself the reason I want to try that ecosystem, I only had one answer: Pokemon Go. And yeah, that's a very ****ty reason so still sticking to W10M.

And I'm really hoping Ms would revive the W10M hype (with new hardware and new OS features)
    08-27-2016 11:04 AM
    To the OP...
    I use both Windows and Android. I must confess, however, that my Nexus 6P is what I use most often. I really like W10M. It would be my first choice if it were up to me, but the school where I teach has taken the plunge into the Android pool, so I have to have something that allows me smooth access to those services. Also, the app situation is killing the W10M experience for me, at the moment. So, Android it is.
    As it appears from you original post, you're asking us to help you stay with W10M. If you're having to ask other people to give you reasons to stay with Windows, it sounds like you've hit the Windows 10 Mobile wall, already. Ha ha
    Just go with the OS that best meets your needs is about the best advice anyone can offer in my opinion. Good luck.
    libra89, scolab and Guytronic like this.
    08-27-2016 12:14 PM
    Just stay with either Android or iPhone. Do not waste your hard earned cash on this platform.
    rinosaur likes this.
    08-28-2016 08:33 AM
    Just stay with either Android or iPhone. Do not waste your hard earned cash on this platform.
    unless the money available is enough for a cheap lumia like a 540 and not enough for an expensive iphone?
    08-28-2016 03:20 PM
    I've been an extremely loyal WinPhone user since WP7 and my Samsung Focus. I've used a Lumia 920, 925, and most recently 950, and can say that I just jumped ship a week ago to a Note 7 and I'm not looking back. I'm so much happier with the Note.

I've been so loyal to the platform, stuck by it, defended it, and went without apps because the phone worked better, but as soon as I got that email from Amazon saying they were dropping support, I was done with the platform. I use Amazon a lot, so if I can't even do that, then what good is it to me? I can honestly say that I am so much happier since getting rid of my WinPhone. While I like metro on the phone, I don't even care at this point. I'm just happy that I can actually subscribe to my car alarm and use their app, I can actually use Google apps to talk with friends all day, I can actually use Kakaotalk without it crashing after every message, and I can finally play Pokemon Go!

OP, take things into consideration of what you use your phone for. The grass may not always be greener on the other side, but for me it was a lush tropical paradise with hula dancers and all the gin & tonics in the world waiting for me.
    scolab and Magdy Samir like this.
    08-28-2016 05:29 PM
    Maybe Microsoft needs to add gin and tonics to the W10M platform. :D
    08-28-2016 07:04 PM
    I guess what MS needs to do is to push the devs of "famous" or "mainstream" harder into embracing the platform (although I don't really know how). Yes, most of us would be contented with the current selection in the Store (mostly I use my phone for music, camera, FB'ing only) and would not mind not having those mainstream Android and iOS apps on the Store. But some people really want those apps on the platform. If MS really wanted to succeed on this segment, then they have to provide what its customers really want. It's a bit saddening to hear other people jumping ship because they feel "unloved" by MS. And I don't really blame them.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    08-29-2016 03:49 AM
    Hello,
    My answer is not original but... If you want swap to Android Do it
    In my case after first very positive impression of android phone I started missing Windows interface Windows settings and I changed again phone to Lumia 950 and later 950xl

But I understand your frustration Today morning I sold one item at eBay I tried check my PayPal via apps - app doesn't work I tried send message to buyer there is no option in app

There is problem Poor quality of apps I also was very close to think about change phone I'll keep Lumia yet but ... If situation won't change in 3 months...
    08-29-2016 04:31 AM
    A couple of years is a fairly long time in the mobile world and things do change, for some platforms, OP might find Android a totally different experience especially now where hardware is concerned.
    Of course. But OP clearly stated he couldn't stand Android a couple of years back. That's a pretty explicit statement. Android has not changed that much over the last years, that he would go from "cant stand" to "love it".
    08-29-2016 08:12 AM
    Of course. But OP clearly stated he couldn't stand Android a couple of years back. That's a pretty explicit statement. Android has not changed that much over the last years, that he would go from "cant stand" to "love it".
    I'd be happy to just "like it" if I could get the apps and hardware that I wanted.
    08-29-2016 11:33 AM
    Windows phone may need to to hire a team that can port apps over from Android or have the ability to run android apps. If Microsoft abandons the mobile platform it won't be long before Google will control the computer market as well. The Chromebook with its ability to run android apps and maybe even start to run Windows apps will take over the market all together. Leaving Microsoft to be a app service and maybe a cloud service. They will just not be a operating system. If Microsoft can come back and get a 15% or better percent of the mobile market, it can then compete with Google. Just my option! I happen to use both a Windows laptop and a Chromebook and lately I go for the Chromebook 90% of the time, because its light and I just open the cover and its ready to browse or play Netflix or Pandora or surf the web, check on my Amazon orders. ect...
    However when it comes to the phone platform I still find the Windows platform more user friendly and less complicated,
    08-29-2016 12:44 PM
    Hi -

In my case after having an ICON for the last two years, I have switched to Straight Talk on AT&T and purchased a 950XL. Things are really not that much different than the ICON. Sure the screen is bigger and it has Glance - they get used daily. Continuum is nice, but I do not really use it all that often. The eye scan to unlock the screen works slowly and you need to hold the phone closer to your face to have it work - I just use my PIN. None of my credit cards work with Wallet at this point, so that is not really a cool missing feature either. My recommendation would be to stand pat until something new really comes out, you are now missing that much on the W10M side of things.
    Chintan Gohel and rinosaur like this.
    08-29-2016 01:04 PM
    Stopped at a Verizon corp store tonight and looked at the Note 7. What a beautiful piece of techno sweetness! If they had any in stock I probably would be busy customizing it right now. 😎😐
    08-29-2016 08:13 PM
    If Microsoft abandons the mobile platform it won't be long before Google will control the computer market as well. The Chromebook with its ability to run android apps and maybe even start to run Windows apps will take over the market all together. Leaving Microsoft to be a app service and maybe a cloud service.
    What a horrible nightmare!
    08-30-2016 02:44 AM
    I be interested to know why the OP "couldn't stand it" but seeing he's comparing it to WP8 I'd have to say we were in a similar boat but not too that extreme, Android wasn't terrible yet we felt WP8 was better for our needs at that time although it lacked in many ways, had high hopes until W10M came along and now our sediments are "can't stand WP". As for change, we notice a considerable difference in Android's OS and the hardware compared to when I used it mid-2012 and earlier (mobile), we weren't that "customizing type of guy" (at that time) that needed endless tweaking abilities but now that we're there it's appreciated having the ability, not a prerequisite for use yet can take it as far as your heart desires or keep it simple, your choice.

Use my L830 w/W10M every couple of days in hopes it can once again achieve that "daily use" status (purpose, as a backup), try as hard as I may it is much too flawed in the OS department to even think of such and highly doubt, due to age, my device will ever overcome those hurdles unless we revert back to WP8.1. Contrary to past claims, I do not believe 10 is "that" capable, to the degree it needs too be, on older or low-spec'd hardware, expected some slowdowns and differences but not to the degree I'm experiencing. Couldn't imagine jumping back on-board today unless we had a death wish, IMO the OS is far from being there, devices are limited in availability and the whole platform has a big gash that is going to take lots of time to heal, may end being that big scar that everyone is reminded of on a daily basis and that won't be good.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-30-2016 07:42 AM
    Windows phone may need to to hire a team that can port apps over from Android or have the ability to run android apps. If Microsoft abandons the mobile platform it won't be long before Google will control the computer market as well. The Chromebook with its ability to run android apps and maybe even start to run Windows apps will take over the market all together. Leaving Microsoft to be a app service and maybe a cloud service. They will just not be a operating system. If Microsoft can come back and get a 15% or better percent of the mobile market, it can then compete with Google. Just my option! I happen to use both a Windows laptop and a Chromebook and lately I go for the Chromebook 90% of the time, because its light and I just open the cover and its ready to browse or play Netflix or Pandora or surf the web, check on my Amazon orders. ect...
    However when it comes to the phone platform I still find the Windows platform more user friendly and less complicated,
    until the time wifi stops working - then you'll just have a paperweight
    08-30-2016 09:11 AM
    In a bit of the same situation. The screen on my 950 XL just shattered this past weekend and of course, I can't get it fixed right away because no one stocks parts for Lumias. So I am faced with buying a backup and sending the XL to get fixed. I thought I'd just get another WinMo phone and sell it when the 950XL is fixed, but couldn't find anything I could get in time that runs Win10 (travelling). So, I decided this was the time to give another platform a quick try. Found an open box iPhone 6s+ with 64GB for less than it would cost me to buy a used 950XL. I'll get 14 days to try it out while the 950XL goes to the hospital. After that point, I can keep both or sell one or the other and make back my out of pocket.

I'm looking at it as a Windows Phone vacation....but it's weird though, I'm still getting a guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I've been such a supporter of the platform for such a long time (going back to the Motorola MPx220...what an awesome phone). I almost hope that I don't like using the iPhone and I already know I'll miss the notifications on my PC syncing and my two most favorite features (wireless charging and glance).

Still, I feel like such a traitor....lol
    libra89 and slivy58 like this.
    08-30-2016 09:39 AM
    I be interested to know why the OP "couldn't stand it"
    I just didn't like the OS from a usability standpoint. The email client on my WP8.1 worked much better than anything I could find on Android. Now I'm stuck using Oulook in WP10. And I understand Outlook for Android is even better than WP. Cortana sending, reading and replying to SMS messages in my car worked flawlessly under WP8.1. It's become very spotty since upgrading to 10. Automatic quiet hours based on calendar appointments in WP8.1 was an outstanding feature that is completely gone in WP10.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm ready for something new and more customizable. Android has come a long way in 3 years and I believe I can adapt more easily now. And yeah, the app gap is catching up to me. I probably won't ever use Snapchat, Pokemon Go, etc, but I'd at least like the opportunity to try a new app when it comes out.

And new hardware! Many responses here have said "wait and hope something new comes out". How much longer will that be? I'm done waiting for that elusive unicorn. Yes, the new HP Elite X3 is an awesome piece of hardware, but not on my carrier.
    libra89, RumoredNow and slivy58 like this.
    08-30-2016 09:45 AM
57 123