Seriously considering jumping ship.......HELP?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been hanging on to my trusty Icon for nearly 3 years now, but it's getting more and more difficult seeing all that awesome new hardware in the Android world with nothing definitive on the horizon in our Windows world. I tried Android a couple years ago with an LG G3 and couldn't stand it compared to WP8.

Any valid reasons I should stay? The future of WP has been discussed ad nauseum here, and I'd love to stay because I truly do love WP. But seriously, have you seen that new Note 7? Or even the S7?

Any suggestions are welcome!

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
In the end, I think it all comes down to what fits your needs. Does W10M work for you? Does it do what you expect from a smartphone? Do you really prefer it over other platforms? If so, not so many reasons to jump ship, especially if it has the apps you need (and they work well). If you think your phone is not enough anymore though, there's nothing wrong with trying something else. That's my opinion.
But then again, I won't lie - Such a low market share is kind of scary sometimes.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
But then again, I won't lie - Such a low market share is kind of scary sometimes.

Another major factor in my thought process. I was a Palm owner until they bellied up. While I can't see MS completely dumping WP, the lack of development is disheartening to say the least.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
If the grass is greener on the other side go and have fun. No one here can talk you into staying.

Sent from mTalk

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been hanging on to my trusty Icon for nearly 3 years now, but it's getting more and more difficult seeing all that awesome new hardware in the Android world with nothing definitive on the horizon in our Windows world. I tried Android a couple years ago with an LG G3 and couldn't stand it compared to WP8.

Any valid reasons I should stay? The future of WP has been discussed ad nauseum here, and I'd love to stay because I truly do love WP. But seriously, have you seen that new Note 7? Or even the S7?

there is some "awesome new hardware" - checked the elite x3 or lumia 950?

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
there is some "awesome new hardware" - checked the elite x3 or lumia 950?

Unfortunately, I'm with Verizon. Have been since mid 90s. Their support for WP is non-existant. And I've said for years, the only way MS will survive with WP is to get the worlds largest carrier on board at any cost. Without Verizon, WP will never get any further than it is.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, I'm with Verizon. Have been since mid 90s. Their support for WP is non-existant. And I've said for years, the only way MS will survive with WP is to get the worlds largest carrier on board at any cost. Without Verizon, WP will never get any further than it is.

you might want to check your statement, because according to this list, your network is ranked 17 in the world in terms of total subscribers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators

Additionally, the network has about 142 million subscribers which is about 3% of total world mobile subscribers. 3% cannot determine the fate of windows mobile since there is still the other 97 % spread across the world :wink:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Is it? I guess that might be my question. They certainly have nicer hardware over on the other side, but I'm not sold on the OS.

Seems like you've answered your own question then. I guess the best way would be to try it again and see if it works for you this time, other people's opinion (biased towards anything Microsoft on this forum) only goes so far and really shouldn't affect whether you like something or not.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
you might want to check your statement, because according to this list, your network is ranked 17 in the world in terms of total subscribers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators

Additionally, the network has about 142 million subscribers which is about 3% of total world mobile subscribers. 3% cannot determine the fate of windows mobile since there is still the other 97 % spread across the world :wink:

My apologies. I should have said largest carrier in the US. I would venture to guess that probably more than half the US mobile subscribers who are unable to use a new Windows mobile device.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My apologies. I should have said largest carrier in the US. I would venture to guess that probably more than half the US mobile subscribers who are unable to use a new Windows mobile device.

It is certainly the biggest in the states. Then again, windows mobile isn't that popular there :grincry:

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 and a 640, and I switch back and forth on AT&T, I get frustrated with the Galaxy and how awkward it is in driving mode, I have seen some improvements in Windows 10, and even some apps come back so I personally would not spend the money on a new S7

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Both my wife and brother use zero apps, but both upgraded to the new iPhone because they just didn't even try the Windows Phone, even though it would have cost them nothing. They are just brainwashed even the carriers to avoid Windows Mobile

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

If you couldn't stand Android a couple of years ago, then you won't like it now either. Buying a shiny new device is pointless if you don't like the system that operates it.

So, there's no way for you to switch to a carrier that supports Windows?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If you couldn't stand Android a couple of years ago, then you won't like it now either. Buying a shiny new device is pointless if you don't like the system that operates it.

So, there's no way for you to switch to a carrier that supports Windows?

Android has changed quite a bit in the past few years. I don't think it's a fair statement to say that the OP wouldn't like it now. Additionally, different OEMs do Android differently. Apparently TouchWiz has changed on the Note 7.

Anyway, since you are at the point you are, I say that you should just try it anyway.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I'd say it depends on what do you want to use your phone for. If you are an average user who doesn't need any certain apps which are not available and prefer Windows 10 Mobile UI over Andorid/iOS UI, then I don't think that you should stay. If you are very "mobile" and move around a lot, then I believe Continuum would be something you'd like to use too.

If you however need certain apps that are not available on Windows 10 Mobile, then you should probably consider jumping over to Android.

I think MS will make OS at least a bit better than it is now with RS2 coming, which is probably going to be a larger update than RS1 was. Perhaps you could try out the Android until RS2 launches if you can't wait for it and then go for "surface phone" if you won't get along with Android.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
We just switched banks to a bank that only supports Android and iOS. Our local news stations all have great apps, but none support Windows. One of the guys at work showed me several of the cool networking apps on his Android that aren't available on WP.

I'd like to get my hands on the Note 7 for a while. Maybe camp out in a Verizon store to try it out. I believe they still have the 30 day trial period too?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The app and OS situation is kind of like this:

In Kenya we have 4 major supermarket chains: Nakumatt, Tuskys, Naivas and Uchumi, more or less in that order. There are others of course but smaller and fewer branches.

Basically all these supermarkets stock the same items from the same companies with nearly the same price tags. If I find sprite in one supermarket, it will be available in the rest too. The difference comes in when you search for items that are not that common such as dog food, special type of batteries for a tv remote, luxury items, etc. That's when you have to go to a different supermarket just for that item

Do you stick with Tuskys which is across your house or make the effort of walking/driving to Nakumatt which is 3km away just so that you can get that once in a month purchase?

The basic services are the same, the prices are very nearly the same, the only differentiators are how big is the variety and how great the experience is in shopping and using their services.

People would avoid Tuskys just because they don't have one item out of a 100? So you would waste money on driving to Nakumatt every day for shopping just because they have the once a month item you're looking for?

Ps: Uchumi is sinking badly but there is a rally behind it come back up (looks too much like windows mobile)

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest buying a used phone off swappa or the bay. You could get a good deal on several newer android devices like a nexus 6p (if you dont mind that size). If you don't like it....easy to flip it at little cost most likely. Android devices differ in user experience pending on the skin or lack there of.

But....its hard to tell anyone which phone to buy because unless they tell you exactly what they want or need....its almost impossible to figure out what would make them happy or content. I use both Icon and a few different android devices (LG G4 my fav and Nexus 6). I always BYOD with Verizon post paid and do not suffer over paying and getting locked into any one device.

Freedy36

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Tell you what,the luxury of great hardware is what we luck right now but on the other hand MS has learnt a great lesson from the 2 flagships released earlier and I believe the future is bright. With rumored release of a surface phone early next year.. i know it will be great. its surface handling things so sit tight. Also MS is rumored to be building its mobile hardware by foxconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs