09-02-2016 03:12 PM
57 123
tools
    I've been hanging on to my trusty Icon for nearly 3 years now, but it's getting more and more difficult seeing all that awesome new hardware in the Android world with nothing definitive on the horizon in our Windows world. I tried Android a couple years ago with an LG G3 and couldn't stand it compared to WP8.

Any valid reasons I should stay? The future of WP has been discussed ad nauseum here, and I'd love to stay because I truly do love WP. But seriously, have you seen that new Note 7? Or even the S7?

Any suggestions are welcome!
    08-25-2016 11:32 AM
    In the end, I think it all comes down to what fits your needs. Does W10M work for you? Does it do what you expect from a smartphone? Do you really prefer it over other platforms? If so, not so many reasons to jump ship, especially if it has the apps you need (and they work well). If you think your phone is not enough anymore though, there's nothing wrong with trying something else. That's my opinion.
    But then again, I won't lie - Such a low market share is kind of scary sometimes.
    08-25-2016 11:44 AM
    But then again, I won't lie - Such a low market share is kind of scary sometimes.
    Another major factor in my thought process. I was a Palm owner until they bellied up. While I can't see MS completely dumping WP, the lack of development is disheartening to say the least.
    08-25-2016 11:55 AM
    If the grass is greener on the other side go and have fun. No one here can talk you into staying.

Sent from mTalk
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    08-25-2016 12:27 PM
    I've been hanging on to my trusty Icon for nearly 3 years now, but it's getting more and more difficult seeing all that awesome new hardware in the Android world with nothing definitive on the horizon in our Windows world. I tried Android a couple years ago with an LG G3 and couldn't stand it compared to WP8.

Any valid reasons I should stay? The future of WP has been discussed ad nauseum here, and I'd love to stay because I truly do love WP. But seriously, have you seen that new Note 7? Or even the S7?

there is some "awesome new hardware" - checked the elite x3 or lumia 950?
    08-25-2016 12:29 PM
    there is some "awesome new hardware" - checked the elite x3 or lumia 950?
    Unfortunately, I'm with Verizon. Have been since mid 90s. Their support for WP is non-existant. And I've said for years, the only way MS will survive with WP is to get the worlds largest carrier on board at any cost. Without Verizon, WP will never get any further than it is.
    aximtreo likes this.
    08-25-2016 12:50 PM
    If the grass is greener on the other side go and have fun.
    Is it? I guess that might be my question. They certainly have nicer hardware over on the other side, but I'm not sold on the OS.
    08-25-2016 12:52 PM
    Unfortunately, I'm with Verizon. Have been since mid 90s. Their support for WP is non-existant. And I've said for years, the only way MS will survive with WP is to get the worlds largest carrier on board at any cost. Without Verizon, WP will never get any further than it is.
    you might want to check your statement, because according to this list, your network is ranked 17 in the world in terms of total subscribers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...work_operators

Additionally, the network has about 142 million subscribers which is about 3% of total world mobile subscribers. 3% cannot determine the fate of windows mobile since there is still the other 97 % spread across the world
    TgeekB, RumoredNow and IJPI like this.
    08-25-2016 01:01 PM
    Is it? I guess that might be my question. They certainly have nicer hardware over on the other side, but I'm not sold on the OS.
    Seems like you've answered your own question then. I guess the best way would be to try it again and see if it works for you this time, other people's opinion (biased towards anything Microsoft on this forum) only goes so far and really shouldn't affect whether you like something or not.
    libra89, RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    08-25-2016 01:02 PM
    you might want to check your statement, because according to this list, your network is ranked 17 in the world in terms of total subscribers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...work_operators

Additionally, the network has about 142 million subscribers which is about 3% of total world mobile subscribers. 3% cannot determine the fate of windows mobile since there is still the other 97 % spread across the world
    My apologies. I should have said largest carrier in the US. I would venture to guess that probably more than half the US mobile subscribers who are unable to use a new Windows mobile device.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    08-25-2016 03:49 PM
    My apologies. I should have said largest carrier in the US. I would venture to guess that probably more than half the US mobile subscribers who are unable to use a new Windows mobile device.
    It is certainly the biggest in the states. Then again, windows mobile isn't that popular there
    RumoredNow and scolab like this.
    08-26-2016 01:17 AM
    I have a Galaxy S5 and a 640, and I switch back and forth on AT&T, I get frustrated with the Galaxy and how awkward it is in driving mode, I have seen some improvements in Windows 10, and even some apps come back so I personally would not spend the money on a new S7
    08-26-2016 02:02 AM
    Both my wife and brother use zero apps, but both upgraded to the new iPhone because they just didn't even try the Windows Phone, even though it would have cost them nothing. They are just brainwashed even the carriers to avoid Windows Mobile
    08-26-2016 02:09 AM

If you couldn't stand Android a couple of years ago, then you won't like it now either. Buying a shiny new device is pointless if you don't like the system that operates it.

So, there's no way for you to switch to a carrier that supports Windows?
    08-26-2016 02:56 AM
    If you couldn't stand Android a couple of years ago, then you won't like it now either. Buying a shiny new device is pointless if you don't like the system that operates it.

So, there's no way for you to switch to a carrier that supports Windows?
    Android has changed quite a bit in the past few years. I don't think it's a fair statement to say that the OP wouldn't like it now. Additionally, different OEMs do Android differently. Apparently TouchWiz has changed on the Note 7.

Anyway, since you are at the point you are, I say that you should just try it anyway.
    08-26-2016 08:49 AM
    I'd say it depends on what do you want to use your phone for. If you are an average user who doesn't need any certain apps which are not available and prefer Windows 10 Mobile UI over Andorid/iOS UI, then I don't think that you should stay. If you are very "mobile" and move around a lot, then I believe Continuum would be something you'd like to use too.

If you however need certain apps that are not available on Windows 10 Mobile, then you should probably consider jumping over to Android.

I think MS will make OS at least a bit better than it is now with RS2 coming, which is probably going to be a larger update than RS1 was. Perhaps you could try out the Android until RS2 launches if you can't wait for it and then go for "surface phone" if you won't get along with Android.
    08-26-2016 09:13 AM
    We just switched banks to a bank that only supports Android and iOS. Our local news stations all have great apps, but none support Windows. One of the guys at work showed me several of the cool networking apps on his Android that aren't available on WP.

I'd like to get my hands on the Note 7 for a while. Maybe camp out in a Verizon store to try it out. I believe they still have the 30 day trial period too?
    08-26-2016 09:41 AM
    The app and OS situation is kind of like this:

In Kenya we have 4 major supermarket chains: Nakumatt, Tuskys, Naivas and Uchumi, more or less in that order. There are others of course but smaller and fewer branches.

Basically all these supermarkets stock the same items from the same companies with nearly the same price tags. If I find sprite in one supermarket, it will be available in the rest too. The difference comes in when you search for items that are not that common such as dog food, special type of batteries for a tv remote, luxury items, etc. That's when you have to go to a different supermarket just for that item

Do you stick with Tuskys which is across your house or make the effort of walking/driving to Nakumatt which is 3km away just so that you can get that once in a month purchase?

The basic services are the same, the prices are very nearly the same, the only differentiators are how big is the variety and how great the experience is in shopping and using their services.

People would avoid Tuskys just because they don't have one item out of a 100? So you would waste money on driving to Nakumatt every day for shopping just because they have the once a month item you're looking for?

Ps: Uchumi is sinking badly but there is a rally behind it come back up (looks too much like windows mobile)
    08-26-2016 10:01 AM
    I would suggest buying a used phone off swappa or the bay. You could get a good deal on several newer android devices like a nexus 6p (if you dont mind that size). If you don't like it....easy to flip it at little cost most likely. Android devices differ in user experience pending on the skin or lack there of.

But....its hard to tell anyone which phone to buy because unless they tell you exactly what they want or need....its almost impossible to figure out what would make them happy or content. I use both Icon and a few different android devices (LG G4 my fav and Nexus 6). I always BYOD with Verizon post paid and do not suffer over paying and getting locked into any one device.
    08-26-2016 11:10 AM
    Tell you what,the luxury of great hardware is what we luck right now but on the other hand MS has learnt a great lesson from the 2 flagships released earlier and I believe the future is bright. With rumored release of a surface phone early next year.. i know it will be great. its surface handling things so sit tight. Also MS is rumored to be building its mobile hardware by foxconn
    Chintan Gohel and scolab like this.
    08-26-2016 02:28 PM
    it all comes down to, what is the best device for my every day use?????

Windows phone for me is OK but since I'm taking flying lesson this year, now, that windows phone is not good enough because of the one app I could use, only found on IPhone and android.
    scolab, libra89, slivy58 and 1 others like this.
    08-26-2016 04:26 PM
    Can't stand Android - takes like 50 pokes to get things done and the security issues they experience is terrible. Went with iOS and you do get high quality apps. Still takes 50 pokes to get anything done. Came back to the 950XL after over a year (for a couple reasons) and it was a little slow going at first. With all the updates, I'm loving it again. I'm unable to use a couple apps, but all in all it has worked well for me and Continuum is interesting.

No one can tell you if you're going to be happy staying. My suggestion is to order one of the new phones from MS Store and run it for a couple weeks. If it isn't working out, you can get a full refund.
    scolab, Chintan Gohel and aximtreo like this.
    08-26-2016 05:03 PM
    Can't stand Android - takes like 50 pokes to get things done and the security issues they experience is terrible..
    Pretty much my sentiments. Thanks for the reinforcement.
    aximtreo and Witness like this.
    08-26-2016 05:19 PM
    I wouldn't dream of of switching! I just love my aging Nokia 920!
    Windows Phones are also the most secure of the two, which is a big factor for me.
    Windows Phone - nothing else compares!
    Chintan Gohel and scolab like this.
    08-26-2016 09:32 PM
    Can't stand Android - takes like 50 pokes to get things done
    Not trying to start a war here but I'd like to hear exactly what takes you "50-pokes" to get the job done on Android/iOS because, from my standpoint none of them (including WP) are that excessively bad, unless you are using ancient devices running a much outdated operating system. With W10M my 830 requires more steps to get the job done than my LG G4/S7 but its not just the OS creating the issues here, hardware now has become a big factor although many stated WP wouldnt succumb to that fate nearly as much, beg to differ there.

Reverting back to 8.1 brings back a spark in regards to my once loved OS but then we are left in the past and been that way for quite some time, as a matter of fact my phone wasnt even a year old before it became redundant.

Getting back to the OP question At this point I see little reason to stay unless living on the edge dealing w/uncertainty is your cup of tea, WPs past and present history speaks for itself IMO, if you are fine with that stay. I jumped ship because WP wasnt up to the challenges I stowed upon it and W10M was nowhere near at a point to fulfill those needs, still isnt from my standpoint, not to mention my wants for flagship devices, the thing is, if I want the latest and greatest from the Android/iOS camps not a problem (many sources where I live), WP has never been that free with certain devices only available in specific markets or select outlets.
    scolab likes this.
    08-26-2016 11:09 PM
57 123