Does Windows 10 mobile have a future in the world of iOS10 and Google Nougat?

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Does Windows 10 mobile has a future in a world of iOS10 and Google Nougat?

Nope not a chance . Not any more at least

I'm with you 99.9%. The 0.01% is if Nadella is replaced. He simply doesn't care about WP. He confuses me. If he was an MBA (numbers only guy), I'd empathize with his actions towards WP but he's not.

Microsoft has lost its way in this market. The Microsoft I know moves fast, steals shamelessly, keeps on trying until it gets things done. Google and Apple aren't slow. They keep bettering their products every single release. They might mess things up but they keep their pets, fans entertained with new toys.

Microsoft is all over the place. Premium pricing for low end market is recipe for disaster. Releasing new phones with two year old processor is fine only if you're apple. But even apple didn't do that. Rebooting your OS multiple times is the fastest way to discourage developers and users Mac is living testimony.

I could talk forever on what they did to land in this quagmire. However, the key point is Nadella or WP's got to go.

Anurag singh12

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

Developers are not going to make the apps for just 1 phone(Elite X3), because this phone itself is not going to sell in huge numbers. Enterprise or normal consumers, Devs will need a good user base who will use their apps. I feel that at this moment, Windows Mobile need some good phones which has good hardware. So that people can buy them hoping that the things on the software side will improve gradually but at least they have a good looking phone which does all the basic work. We cant compromise on both the hardware and the software side

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I hope so, as I have an iPhone 6 for work and a Lumia 950 as my personal..... and HATE having to use the iPhone at all, which is used for work related calls, email, and a game or 2 that isn't available or hasn't been updated for Windows phone...

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

There's always hope. That said, the Lumia 950 is the second worst phone I've had the misfortune to own. Actually, scrap that. It is without a doubt the worst phone ever to find its way from design board to factory to consumer without anyone doing even a courtesy quality control check.

If Microsoft back OEM's that knock out poor devices or, God Forbid, launch a "surface phone" with the kind of poor oversight of the 950 then it's tickets.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I've been looking into moving to Android recently, mainly because of the apps situation, but the camera is very important to me too, so after quitea bit of reading, I decided that the only option for me was a Samsung Galaxy S6. I was almost ready to push the button on this but then read about the battery life which according to even the most positive reviews stated that it would be unlikely to make it through to bed time. This was the deal breaker for me, probably going to stick with my L950 for at least a while longer, it's 9pm here now and I have 45% battery still remaining. Also, I just convinced a relative to switch to a 950, can't really do that and then jump ship myself straight after...

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I've been looking into moving to Android recently, mainly because of the apps situation, but the camera is very important to me too, so after quitea bit of reading, I decided that the only option for me was a Samsung Galaxy S6. I was almost ready to push the button on this but then read about the battery life which according to even the most positive reviews stated that it would be unlikely to make it through to bed time. This was the deal breaker for me, probably going to stick with my L950 for at least a while longer, it's 9pm here now and I have 45% battery still remaining. Also, I just convinced a relative to switch to a 950, can't really do that and then jump ship myself straight after...

Hey, you're still here! :) I'd say at least wait what Google has in store for us two weeks from now. Given the pricing rumors that have been going around the Pixel should be a high end phone. That's the one I'm waiting for before taking another look at an iPhone 6S plus.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I agree that's bad at the moment. Elsewhere I argued that the proliferation of tablets would drive the development of UWP apps for tablets, and if enabling those on phones were easy enough the ecosystem would naturally grow with almost zero promotion of Windows Phone. It's all going pretty slowly though, so I honestly don't know what will happen. Definitely interesting times.

I've been here from a HPC 1.0... to PocketPC and all the way to Windows Phone (first day I could get one) and after about 6 WP devices, I think I gave up. THOUSANDS of dollars on Microsoft gear just myself.

And this is another product they have done this to. Microsoft has a history of just dropping support on stuff or doing very little with it and hope it takes off. They did this with other products and guess what ? They also failed. Windows Phone is going down this same path.

UWP is a nice thing on paper but, it's about 5-6 years too late. With Windows Phone share now around 1% devs wont even bother in a lot of cases just do to the support needed to support the app.

Microsoft did a very dumb thing with Windows Phone... Putting all the money into ads, what they should of done is put a lot of money into promotions for sales people. The biggest thing was sales people bashing windows Phone when someone when people would look at it.

Anyway about it, Microsoft has invested BILLIONS in Windows Phone / Mobile. Their return on it is not even close. The writing is on the wall. It may take 5 years but, sooner or later Microsoft will stop losing money from Windows Phone....

Remember, Microsoft is a business, they are there to make money, when something loses money, it's just a matter of time before they cut it off...

I really wish they would do something but, at this point, I don't have much hope...any more

CharlieWade

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site

I used to work for a certain wireless company in sales and the Microsoft/Nokia phones hardly ever left the shelf. One person came in asking for the newest Lumia and all of our reps had no idea what it was. What we need is an Android Surface phone with widgets that enable Lumia fans to keep some of the functions they are used to. If Microsoft follows Blackberry in finally admitting they need to make the switch, they have a future in the mobile phone world.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Frankly the market leaders aren't going anywhere. The year after year of their pulling ahead is over. Margins on Android are atrocious, and frankly 50% of the market is not sustainable. Carriers are lowering prices, even they feel the pressure of the saturation. In a saturated market a well resourced, well organized opponent can go far. We tend to think of things failing in months in this market. Yet iPhone is almost 10 years old. They didn't get here overnight, neither did Android and neither will Windows mobile.
A couple years ago forums were ablaze that there was no possible way MS could succeed with Surface, that they were doomed to drop it. I note the same issues now as then. The product is good, and none of the other competitors has a better core product. It will take time (and yes marketing) but the time to really blaze the market isn't quite here yet. Look at the X3 selling out so many times. It's not changing fortune by itself, but it's fulfilling a market desire. That is the sign to pay attention to. Some part of the market truly wants these devices. NY Police Dept and BMW all going Windows phone. Airlines using entirely Surface tablets. Things are changing. Just not in terms of weeks. This is a longplay game because the others have had years of lead time.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

complete waste of time. there's no business/enterprise users who leave their phones at work and return the next to start back again. All of these supposed "target" segments are regular *** people like you and me who go to the bathroom, brush teeth, eat, drink, work out, watch our kids at games, school plays, watch tv, regular *** people. So when MS have this warped idea that enterprise or business are made up of "special" terminator robots then hey who're we to argue.

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

I think Windows 10 mobile does have a future but quite a few things need to happen. I am a recent or semi recent convert from Andriod. I have a business background and own two successful small businesses. One retail store and one wholesale business. Windows 10 mobile will only succeed if Microsoft wants it to succeed.Just like most things in life it comes down to money. 1.Put out a quality product. I have both a 950 and a 950 XL both outstanding and twice the phone my Note 5 is. 2. Advertise!! How many Surface ads have you seen? A ton! Does everybody know about them? You bet. Most people don't even know that Microsoft has a mobile OS. Ask your coworkers and friends most people have know idea. Techy geeks like me sure, but the average guy that uses his phone for calls, texting and youtube no. People translate Microsoft into quality there name alone will sell them. 3. Have different models in different price ranges. Not every one can afford a $800 X3 or even a $500 phone. There is a reason people use the NEXT program and others like it. $25 per month for 2 years is more affordable than $800 right now. 4. Promotions. Sure they are promoting now but that's to liquidate inventory. Run deals on new or slightly older models to get people to try it. Run spiffs for sales people. Money motivates people. Hey if a salesman can make extra money by just selling a better product I guarantee they at least show people the Windows products. 4. Carriers. For Gods sakes if a guy has had Verizon for 10 years don't make him switch just to be able to get your phone. The big 4 has to carry them. Not just AT&T. 5. Knowledge. Go into any cellphone store and ask them about Windows phones. They will look at you like you have 3 eyes at least most will. There may be one guy that is a techy geek like me that loves them. But of course they don't carry them or only have one in stock. Knowledge is important. Microsoft should have a rep come in to every store and train the salesman. Every industries does this!! If customers come into my store I better know the answer and my staff should know also. I mean that is a salesmans job to know the product they are selling. 6. APPS. This is a big one for the younger crowd. I am a 45yr old man. The windows store has all of the apps I need. If not I just pin the website to my start page if there isn't an app. But the young generation such as my daughters are app crazy. They both use Iphones and they have an app on their phone for everything. Mobile is the future more and more people use their phone for everything. The world isn't moving towards a wired society its moving towards a wireless one. With 5G on the horizon. Wouldn't you want to be a main player in the future? I would if I was Microsoft. But does Microsoft want to be in the mobile business is the question. Microsoft has the funds to be a huge player. But it comes down to money. Will they make enough money. At first no. It takes time to build brand recognition and loyalty. I mean Microsoft is huge but Windows 10 mobile is not. Well just my 2 cents.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

I hope it will

So do I. I need a third option in case Google decides to do something stupid again. Google restricting the SD card write permissions in KitKat was the ultimate reason why I switched to Windows Phone in 2014. I switched back to Android this year, but if Google ever does something like that again, I'd like to have Windows Mobile to turn to because iOS is my least favorite.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

so the 25USD option is cheaper than the 800 one time payment? How does that work?

Most people can handle $25/m payment rather than dropping $800 in one shot. It may not work out cheaper but it's a way of getting a phone that you want easily.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Most people can handle $25/m payment rather than dropping $800 in one shot. It may not work out cheaper but it's a way of getting a phone that you want easily.

25USD per month for 2 years works out to 600USD. This is less than paying 800USD up front. So when did hire purchase become cheaper than one time payments?

Cortana is Skynet

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site

Agree with you mostly except 1. If MS thinks they can attract devs by adding business users, it would be difficult. Most of the enterprises would simply lock down stores so as to block ppl from downloading fun apps on their work phones.
That's why Microsoft needs to focus on providing personal/business users/sessions/accounts (whatever you want to call it) - each with their own SIM - on the same W10M phone. Business could then lock down Store on the business login/session but you could still switch to your personal login and download your favourite game or dating app or whatever. And the sessions would need to be completely separate from each other (with some possible exceptions, say, notifications, or sharing of calendars, etc.) so both business are assured corporate data is protected and customers can rest knowing that their corporate overlords are not checking their Linkedin job applications, or personal emails and files or (gasp!) which websites they are browsing.

I see people carrying two phones all the time, sometimes even the same brand of phone (say, 2 iPhones) because the company provides them one (either directly or via BYOD) but they don't want (or are not allowed by MDM policy) to have personal apps and files in them. If they could have complete different sessions on the phone (and assurances that data could not leak into each other) I think most people would then just ditch one of their phones.

I started using Windows phones when my company issued (basic) Lumia phones to all employees that had a job requirement for a phone. Even though you could buy the phone for something like ?50 ($65) retail unlocked, most people were surprised how much they actually liked their Windows device - on an old cheap-as-chips phone!: most were not even aware that windows run on phones. Everyone continued to carry their iPhone or android phone in addition to their corporate issued phone, of course - everyone but me: I just couldn't be arsed to carry two devices that did mostly the same thing. I wonder if more people would have taken my approach if a) the phone was better quality (say a Lumia 950\XL) and b) Windows allowed business and personal sessions to be logged in simultaneously.

I really think this is one area Microsoft should concentrate next, particularly when they are clearly hoping that those companies that (still) issue devices to their employers (a la old days Blackberry or the new HP Elite X3) do so with Windows devices, due to Windows security (vs. Android) and more customisation (vs. iPhone). And business users are the only significant group of people that is a potential user of a mobile platform without a good number of quality apps such as W10M - thus justifying Microsoft's decision to target them EVEN if they were not Microsoft's main target for the company services as a whole - simply because not having Pok?mon GO and Snapchat on your work phone is usually not a deal breaker.

This (W10M work phones with work/leisure sandboxing) could provide a beachhead for W10M: corporate users would drive demand for apps while using the Windows phone running their personal sessions. Even in a BYOD environment, the ability to sandbox work and personal sessions on the same phone might be an interesting niche for that group of people who, like me, can't be bothered to carry 2 phones. At the very least, it would expose W10M to millions of people that are "forced" to use it as a work phone - and just as my colleagues and I, they might actually realise that, hey, this is not too bad, it's different (to iPhone and Android) and it has some cool distinguishing features.

With a bit of luck, business users using their W10M work phones in personal mode and a small group of users who switch once exposed to the platform at work would provide just enough critical mass (and you'd only need something like 10-15% of mobile users) to make the OS relevant for developers to at least make sure they have something on the platform. And once a critical mass of apps were on the Store, then W10M would stop being the pariah that it is for phone users. The extra users would bring developers, in a virtuous circle of positive feedback loops.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

25USD per month for 2 years works out to 600USD. This is less than paying 800USD up front. So when did hire purchase become cheaper than one time payments?

I think I must have misread things. I was still waking up at the time. :p

Some phones are heavily subsidised in the US. You can get free phones on some contracts for example. Or pay a small fee up front and then your typical monthly bill.

So in some cases it may appear you're paying less for the phone but in reality you could be paying a whole lot more.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

Is W10M about mobile only? Continuum anyone?
Their goal is to bring same Windows on a mobile device, their absolute goal is to make it totally universal. Continuum is their other goal, to let mobile devices unleash it on a bigger screen. I believe soon enough Microsoft will release different kind of mobile device with Intel's processors and after that with Nvidia chips as they said it before. Thats gonna be a cutting edge, a real meaning of running Continuum, a mobile device with Intel and Nvidia chips to power same Windows as PC in a pocket. Give or take atleast 2 years, but it is happening.
And for iOS and Android they are repeating themselves for couple of years now, not even trying to create something new, just holding their market as it goes, on a huge marketing and mainstream, and every time with just a little hardware upgrade, they make it look like it is one of the "8 World Miracles".

And still continue to build buggy software!?! Seems like they are very consistent.��
iOS and Android is as buggy as other, do not claim anything before trying everything.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

iOS and Android is as buggy as other, do not claim anything before trying everything.
I don't remember who said it around these parts first but the bugginess really matters when it comes to what you are doing on the phone. If there is bugginess when it comes to doing regular activities on a phone, such as sending email, or so, that is annoying. Very annoying. The random restart thing, is annoying too.

My iPhone or my Android have never randomly restarted on me. I don't experience bugginess doing regular tasks. I was shocked that the 950 randomly restarts (which it did to me 2x). Basically, I agree that no OS is perfect, but if anything, it should not have issues doing regular expected things.

Anyway, I would like to see W10M become a solid third option. In my opinion, the all or none approach for customization isn't something I like. Indifferent about Continuum to care about it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't remember who said it around these parts first but the bugginess really matter when it comes to what you are doing on the phone. If there is bugginess when it comes to doing regular activities on a phone, such as sending email, or so, that is annoying. Very annoying. The random restart thing, is annoying too.

You got it! Virtually all bugginess I've seen on Android is from a non-Google app. Even that almost never happens. The built in functions, including Google apps, are very solid.

I'm not the biggest Apple fan, but I have an iPad Mini 4 which I like very much. No matter what device I've been using, whenever I pick up the iPad I am always amazed at how polished and smooth it is!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss