So, who is ditching Microsoft and moving with Nokia to Android??

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Like others have stated, Nokia I don't think will be the old Nokia many of us knew and loved. I did the android bit a few times and always came back to windows.

I would be tempted to check out a new Nokia running android,...but when all is said and done, it is still android and I much prefer Windows.

In the meantime, I have my two great performing phones, the 950 and 650 to see me through 2017 until we get more choices in hardware.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I also saw the announcement about Nokia and i think its great that they are making a comeback. Android is obviously the most logical choice for them but W10M and even possibly W8.1 still has a lot going for it and it appeals to a lot of people out there. A couple of people in my class at college have Windows 8.1 and W10M device and they still love them. So don't count it out just yet. :)

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I just read on Android Central about the Nokia Android that HMD has produced, well I moved to Android platform at the begining of the year cos my L640XL charging port got broken and after seeing how not interested Microsoft is with its mobile platform I decided to get an Android device than to repair the 640XL.

My first Windows phone device was the Lumia 520, I used it cos it was made by Nokia and they promised future system updates (which they fulfilled). And Nokia promise to build an Android phone was actually the main reason I left Windows ecosystem cos they never let me down.

So who is joining me in the Android ecosystem soon?

Waiting for a camera beast from Nokia to mk the jump, my Lumia 730 is now showing signs of aging, n I'm not in US to get W10M options, have no option left to be on W10m.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Except that someone else is designing it, and MS owns the camera IP used in the old models.

Nope it doesnt, but HMD has access to it as Nokia R&D was still improving their camera tech after selling off mobile division to MS, for their OZO camera.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
No, of course I'm not moving - I've been through the 7, 8 and on to 10's, which is very good and delivers what I want, unlike those other operating systems. I've been a firm fan of Nokia mobiles for years but don't want to use that OS, which doesn't meet my needs. If their handsets are great and can be loaded with windows, then I'd consider them. I don't buy handsets as disposable items, I buy them as good longer term investments and consume goods responsibly. Plenty of life left in my windows handsets and OS.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope it doesnt, but HMD has access to it as Nokia R&D was still improving their camera tech after selling off mobile division to MS, for their OZO camera.
PureView, Clear Black and other Nokia items are now owned by Microsoft.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Yes I know that, but HMD also bought some IP back from MS, ofcourse m sure it will not include pureview but as I said Nokia's R&D continued on Ozo, HMD will try use whatever they can, they need the differentiation obviously, btw Juha Alakarhu is back to Nokia heading its imaging team for Ozo, so we shd expect some nice camera tech in future definitely

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

Do you know what patents Nokia kept ? I thought I read that when the phone division was sold to Microsoft that Nokia kept the patents and lisenced the clearblack, Pureview,..etc. to Microsoft? Maybe I have it wrong ?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you know what patents Nokia kept ? I thought I read that when the phone division was sold to Microsoft that Nokia kept the patents and lisenced the clearblack, Pureview,..etc. to Microsoft? Maybe I have it wrong ?
Lumia, Clear Black, PureView and a few others belong to Microsoft. There were many reports on this including here on WC.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
2017 has lots of things coming but Microsoft always have the least innovative way of implementing stuffs, or at most they have the best and fastest way of canceling innovative ideas and great ideas.. for example the McLaren that had the exploding tiles and force touch screen. What happened?? Microsoft killed such an idea which is making wave in iPhones and now Android calls it long press..
Before they do any thing else they should fix what they already have. I am an X Canadian soldier living in Germany. I can not have my phone in English and have my location in Germany because then Cortana wont speak my language. ( English ) So I have to set my location to U.S. for Cortana to work. The only thing that I use Cortana for is to have my phone go into night mode because I work crazy shifts and night mode only works with Cortana. Because I have my location set to U.S. for me to buy apps I have to set the phone back to Germany then buy the app then set the phone back to U.S. Because my phone is set to U.S. I have to deal with dates and times that are U.S centric. FB and FB messenger are a complete mess takes for ever to load. I cant even complain seems I can't go to the store on the web or the phone to rate those apps for what ever reason. I use Grover pro as my podcast catcher and just about every time that my phone gets an update ( I am on the normal ring ) It breaks something in Grover pro and I have to reinstall it then down load all my podcasts again. I am on a prepaid plan that goes for 30 days all prepaid plans in Germany are 30 days long. ( not monthly every 30 days) Their is no prevision in the OS for a 30 day plan so every 30 days I have to tell my phone I have this much data for the next 30 days and when I reset my mobile data it does reset my Wi-Fi data. Everyone here is waiting for the surface phone but I will never be able to afford one.

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
It is a possibility. I already did the switch from my old Lumia 830 to a Honor 8 with this year as the L830 on WP 8.1 was starting to act up. I see this as a test year to decide on hopping for something that will work for me with W10, Samsung Note 8 or a Nokia 8.
So far I find the switch mostly an improvement, missing the old WP 8.1 interface with all its goodirs but getting a bunch of working apps that I missed. So for evry down there has been at least a couple of ups and some same-same.

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
The windows phone UI is hands-on the best mobile UI I have seen (and I have even every major platform). But what Android loses in user experience, it more than makes up with customisation options and lots of apps.
Microsoft had a great idea, but didn't know what to do with it. I do believe they haven't abandoned the platform, but they don't seem that interested either and that's where they fell behind. I was a avid wp fan, and I convinced many of my friends to get Lumia phones back when Nokia built them, but now I even I have moved to Android, not because I want to, but because the list of things I can no longer do with ease on windows phone has increased beyond what I can handle daily.
But I am still looking forward to the surface phone, hope Microsoft gets it right. But for now Android will do.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No, I will not be moving to Nokia Android but for those that try it please let us know your experience.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Last edited:

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There's a lot of ex Nokia designers and employees working for the company producing these phones under the Nokia banner so there will definitely be true Nokia soul in them. I'm quite excited about them and can't wait to see what the flagship handsets look like (Nokia 8?). I really hope they have Double Tap to Wake and Glance/Always on Display as well as some other familiar Nokia functions. I jump between iOS, Android and Windows Mobile all the time and now Samsung are going 'edge' only with their Galaxy S series I might skip the s8 and get a Nokia this time around instead. I usually don't last too long on Windows Mobile too long as they usually frustrate the life out of me eventually especially with the app gap but I'm really enjoying my Lumia 950xl right now and thanks to the UWP apps for Facebook etc and a good WhatsApp app I'm really not feeling any frustration at all.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Time to leave Lumia for Nokia

Not doing it because it's just a brand. And the phone may not suit me depending on various factors beyond the Nokia name. There also are perfectly fine Android phones you passed over because "Nokia"?

Also, BlackBerry has my affection right now but tides change all the time. And also I was more loyal to Windows Phone as a platform than Nokia as the five letters on the phone anyway.

Also, moved to Phone Wars.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Time to leave Lumia for Nokia

Nah, I'll pass.

I think I like the idea of the phones more than the phones themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven