So, who is ditching Microsoft and moving with Nokia to Android??

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I just read on Android Central about the Nokia Android that HMD has produced, well I moved to Android platform at the begining of the year cos my L640XL charging port got broken and after seeing how not interested Microsoft is with its mobile platform I decided to get an Android device than to repair the 640XL.

My first Windows phone device was the Lumia 520, I used it cos it was made by Nokia and they promised future system updates (which they fulfilled). And Nokia promise to build an Android phone was actually the main reason I left Windows ecosystem cos they never let me down.

So who is joining me in the Android ecosystem soon?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Nope, nada, nyet and any other way you want to say ain't gonna happen. There is a great article today on this site that gives the most positive overview of Windows 10 that I have seen in years. 2017 has a lot of things coming; can't wait to experience them.

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
2017 has lots of things coming but Microsoft always have the least innovative way of implementing stuffs, or at most they have the best and fastest way of canceling innovative ideas and great ideas.. for example the McLaren that had the exploding tiles and force touch screen. What happened?? Microsoft killed such an idea which is making wave in iPhones and now Android calls it long press..

ScottM2753

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by slimchap
I just read on Android Central about the Nokia Android that HMD has produced, well I moved to Android platform at the begining of the year cos my L640XL charging port got broken and after seeing how not interested Microsoft is with its mobile platform I decided to get an Android device than to repair the 640XL.

My first Windows phone device was the Lumia 520, I used it cos it was made by Nokia and they promised future system updates (which they fulfilled). And Nokia promise to build an Android phone was actually the main reason I left Windows ecosystem cos they never let me down.

I used Android for years, from version 2 to version 7, I left Android for Windows because basically I was tired of phone vendors like Samsung from filling their devices with junk apps that could not be removed - it's getting far worse in Android as the years go by. That of course is my opinion, you may be happy with it, if so then kudo's to you.

I use my phones for business, and the last straw for me was when Samsung downloaded and installed without my input an app that completely changed my preferred setup and notification center over to a putrid pinkish purple color and not so cute icons. Not to mention that when security holes were found by outside vendors it took MONTHS and MONTHS for the update to propagate down to make out phones safe again. I like the fact that Windows phones are more "business friendly" and patch security holes faster than their Android counterparts.

I started out with iPhone as my first smart phone, soon got tired of their "walled garden" philosophy and telling me what I could and couldn't do with my phone, moved to Android, and now here I am to stay with Windows Phone.

Having the HP Elite X3 as my business phone also helps to reinforce that for me. VERY business friendly and it's a definite workhorse.

Good luck with your Android, hope it works mate! :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
2017 has lots of things coming but Microsoft always have the least innovative way of implementing stuffs, or at most they have the best and fastest way of canceling innovative ideas and great ideas.. for example the McLaren that had the exploding tiles and force touch screen. What happened?? Microsoft killed such an idea which is making wave in iPhones and now Android calls it long press..
Contradict much?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just tried Android (again) for 3 weeks and couldn't hang with it.

It does things too often the way they want it done and not the way I want it done. It buries the information I want surfaced and surfaces a lot of carp I don't want to see.

It's a SPAM machine. I had stripped out all interests in OK Google and turned off all tracking. Yet, based on a trip to Target (which I only go to about 2-3 times a year), several times a day I would get an OK Google card telling me about what is on sale at Target and that would also come with a notification. I felt harassed by my own phone. I've yet to find a way to make that Target information stop without crippling other information I do want to see.

It's not an intelligent system. I asked it not to show confidential and private information on my lock screen. Because of that, the 3rd party weather service I used would not show details on my lock screen (whereas Google's weather service would show). And among the widgets I placed on lock screen was Calculator. These widgets are supposed to work above lock. Yet every time I tried to use Calculator from the widget it would ask for my unlock pattern. Yes, nobody besides myself should know that 1+1=2. Thank you, Google. You protected my highly confidential information so well.

I like Android for consumption. I dislike it for daily carry and productivity. I like it for flexibility. I dislike it for the entitlement the system has to access my information.

I like Nokia for hardware. IMHO, outside of an initial splash on entry, they will get lost in the vast pool of Android OEMs and it will be a tough fight for them to get back to the surface.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not doing anything. I'm curious about Nokia's new phones but not enough to go out and decide to buy one.

Just like any other phone, we need reviews. It's not enough to opt in because of name. I like that Android offers customization because I miss that on my iPhone. Now if they offer uniqueness with good specs and price, I might be more interested.

Edit: also if there's a smaller phone under 5", they will also catch my interest too.

Nokia5110

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Is there anything interesting happening in the w10m arena? Not that I knows of except for rumours and innuendoes, while the rest of the world is moving on.

Chances are I will be moving on; what can I substitute my 640 with if and when it decides to malfunction or a mishap occurs?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Chances are I will be moving on; what can I substitute my 640 with if and when it decides to malfunction or a mishap occurs?

Is that a promise or a threat. Something about WM brought you here but you entered with a low level windows phone hardware wise. Don't think it's fair to you or WM to base your opinion on mid to low level hardware.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there anything interesting happening in the w10m arena? Not that I knows of except for rumours and innuendoes, while the rest of the world is moving on.

Tomorrow is a promise to no one. There is not one single product that doesn't go obsolete or replaced at one time or another. There are currently 3 Windows Mobile 10 devices available for sale to the public. If none of them suits you then you move on. Hummer went out of business before my warranty ran out, my tough luck. Butch up and deal with it when the time comes.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

It's not like all here are "locked in" to Windows.
I've had a few Android devices over the last 2 years and still enjoy one today.

To me there's no reason to jump to Android from WM because of the Nokia brand name.
How do we know the new Android models have the soul of Nokia inside?

It's has been pointed out before it's just another slab in a sea of other slabs.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
After reading this, http://www.dailydot.com/debug/android-phone-hacked/ I'm in no rush to go to android. Especially the bit that says"If you do suspect that your Android phone has been hacked, a factory reset may be the only option. But in many cases, it won't work. The only course of action is then is to shut off your Android phone, change all the passwords to your necessary accounts, and get a new device."

No wonder so many android devices get sold!

Minh Junior Dinh

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
I use both my Apple and Windows Phone on different occasions, it depends, really. When I'm watching saved videos, I go with Windows. BUT... Windows doesn't have the YouTube app that saves your video's progress, so I go with Apple sometimes, too.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Enjoy. Used Android from Éclair to present (Marshmallow) and switched about a year ago to Windows Phone. I still have a Galaxy S6 and an Iphone from work. However, I fond both OS's lacking in ease of use and simplicity to WM10. While I appreciated the customization in Android (rooting, Cyanogen), I find many tasks harder than they should be.

Sent from mTalk

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I probably will but not for Nokia 6 (it's China exclusive anyway). I'm tired of WP (WM), been on this OS since 710 came out (still have it, 925, 928 too)

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
To me there's no reason to jump to Android from WM because of the Nokia brand name.

QFT.

I am intrigued by Nokia/HMD's new device and I may or may not pick one up (depending on price and availability) but there's no way I'd jump ship from one platform to another because of the Nokia brand.

Like a lot of people here I own and use both Apple and Microsoft devices and services so I can't see why that cannot or does not apply with WM and Android. As a matter of fact I'm (still) looking at buying an Android device to be used mostly as a self-introduction to the OS and maybe as a backup phone too. When I do pull the trigger I won't be abandoning WM.

On a brief tangent, I'm tossing up between the Alcatel Pop 4, Pop 4 Plus and the recently announced A3 XL. However, availability is a bit of an issue in Australia.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How do we know the new Android models have the soul of Nokia inside?
That's the crux of every re-birth. When Palm decided to forego PalmOS in favor of the new webOS, I was very skeptical. Would they bring that Palm "special sauce" with them? That one went well. When Microsoft ditched WM 6.5 for the new Windows Phone 7, that one went decidedly south. As for OEMs, the jury is still out on BlackBerry and their TCL partnership. I have faith in that one because BB is still calling the shots. Nokia is so splintered and none of us really know what is available to them from the Microsoft purchase that for all we know, it's going to be Nokia in name only. PureView and Clear Black are among some of the items Microsoft owns, forget about any of those technologies appearing on a Nokia-branded phone. So what's left that's going to differentiate Nokia from any other slab in a sea of slabs?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99