Am briefly jumping to Android (Reasons, pros, cons, etc.)

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I'll start it off with the reason I had to switch. I use the dual SIM functionality of the 950 XL and one of the carriers I had was AT&T which got rid of their 2G network, rendering my phone not necessarily useless, but more difficult to use when I got used to switching between the main SIMs fairly often. While the Elite x3 would've worked for me, it was hard to justify the price*knowing there may be a Surface Phone*this year, likely another HP*Windows Mobile phone around MWC, possibility of Wharton Brooks/Cerulean*phones as well. The other reason is that I was able to find an Android*phone for around $400 that would do that job for me.

Some background: over the last 4 years, I've used 3 Android phones and 3 Windows Phones. I used to be a major champion of Android back when ROMs were incredibly popular and we were still on ICS. I've always enjoyed live tiles, Cortana text read out over Bluetooth, and the generally excellent battery life of Windows Phone. With Android, I always enjoyed the customization and the fairly solid selection of apps, amongst other things.

While it's only been a few days back with my daily driver as an Android (I had an old Android phone I used as an alarm clock and for a few other small reasons), I can give a fairly thorough*breakdown of my experiences between both.

Android
Pros:
  • The OS automatically switches which SIM is the main data SIM when receiving MMS
  • When switching which SIM is main for data, it doesn't completely kill both connections.
  • So far, battery life actually seems better than my last Android phone.
  • More app choices, even though the only app not available on Windows I've used is Pokemon Go and Chase Mobile (I've installed others, but haven't used them)
  • Keyboard customization
  • The OS still gives you some freedom and doesn't 100% lock it down like iOS
  • Option to use hardware keys on this particular phone
  • Microsoft Apps galore!
Cons:
  • Dual SIM functionality is not really great
    • Either requires you to select SIM for each call/text, or forces to one particular*SIM
    • SIMs are always link, no*option in default Android apps to unlink SIM 1/2
    • When the system auto switches SIM cards, it can cause a 30-60 (or greater) period of time with no actual data when not on WiFi
  • AT&T compatibility with system for visual voicemail and advanced messaging is non existent
  • Really hard to completely get rid of*certain Google apps as default. Can't set Groove as default music app.
  • The icon display makes me miss live tiles and is a stale format
  • No cursor on the keyboard like W10M
  • No contextual reminders or links to create a reminder in messages
  • Lack of dark themes

I won't use a full list for Windows because you can get where I'd be going from the above list, but I will do a wish list below. Things aren't necessarily brighter on the other side. I will likely stick with this phone for a few months at least, but if a solid W10M phone comes across for around $500, I'm likely jumping back to Windows.

Windows Wish*list:
  • When swapping SIMs, don't cut off data
  • More keyboard options, either by allowing 3rd party, just add more customization to current keyboard
  • Auto switch between SIMs for MMS (however this does cause some issues when not on WiFi as noted above)
  • A push for more UWP apps would always help

I've personally been generally disappointed with RS2 Fast Ring builds so far, but I they have had some nice improvements. My issues have come more with stability than anything, but those seem to be getting better. I will still be using my 950XL around the house and patiently waiting for either a sale on the Elite x3, or the next great WM device.

Conclusion, ultimately I currently miss using a W10M device. There are so many quality features that I've gotten used to over the years that I depend on and expect, that just don't*have equal counterparts on Android. Many of these features are just small things too, but they make a world of difference. I've been doing my best to not be doom and gloom about W10M, but I know it's pretty much do or die right now. I truly do hope Microsoft can right this ship, even if it does end up just sustaining a ~5% market share. The platform has so many great things to over and does so many things right, it would truly be a shame if it didn't survive. I say this especially because I think Windows 10 on PC is becoming a very great OS and has so much more potential.

I hope to hear some*feedback from others out there and their thoughts on the Android*vs W10M!

shahidkazi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I understand your pain and i am doing the same. The thing is with the news reports and strategy and the constant downfall of Windows Mobile, it becoming clear that even MS wants this generation of devices to die out slowly instead of pulling the plug and being the absolute bad guy.

It may be possible that they are looking at an overhaul of the mobile device segment with the Surface series of phones with Win32 support and looking to launch it as a new device altogether instead of an upgrade to the existing chain of devices.

With me looking for a new device, it didnt make sense to buy Windows Mobile till they have their act sorted out, hence the temporary stepping stone into Android and hopeful to be back some day.

Just like you said, I like the OS in general, it is far more refreshing than iOS or Android to use, but the ever widening app-gap and the fact that so many changes keep coming in so fast that vying for some stability is making me decide on this move..

So goodbye W10M.. until we meet again :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Will apps be replaced by AI?

If this does become the norm for smartphones perhaps Windows mobile running on devices may have a better chance of survival.
I really don't know if interfacing with artificial intelligence is the future, yet perhaps Microsoft will embrace it and become it's champion.

Looks like Android phone makers are slowly jumping on the AI bandwagon.
I hope Redmond doesn't stay asleep for this next leap.

Last edited:

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Just like you said, I like the OS in general, it is far more refreshing than iOS or Android to use, but the ever widening app-gap and the fact that so many changes keep coming in so fast that vying for some stability is making me decide on this move..

In my experience though, the app gap isn't a big deal. I downloaded Snapchat, but have launched it one other time*after logging in, but didn't even do anything. I ended up using 2 fairly specific apps at work today, but I survived perfectly well without them for a year on my*950XL, so I don't really count that. I've used the Chase app a few times, but the mobile*website always worked just the same for me. However, I have enjoyed being able to play Pokémon Go again as dumb as that is. That'll probably fade within the week, but I've had some fun with it.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Will apps be replaced by AI?

If this does become the norm for smartphones perhaps Windows mobile running on devices may have a better chance of survival.
I really don't know if interfacing with artificial intelligence is the future, yet perhaps Microsoft will embrace it and become it's champion.

Looks like Android phone makers are slowly jumping on the AI bandwagon.
I hope Redmond doesn't stay asleep for this next leap.

AI certainly seems the way to go and from some of the more recent developments regarding the release of the Cortana development kit (I don't remember what it was actually called), it seems like they are taking it seriously. This is also something that Xbox and Home Hub likely will help benefit mobile in that regards.

I'm hoping for some sort of stellar W10M device*at MWC and some major news*for the mobile front at*/build/ maybe.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Can't set Groove as default music app.

I think for something like this you should disable all music player apps and leave only Groove, that way will be the default Android Music Player.

About the Android experience, there are in fact a lot of features I miss more from Maemo than any other platform, a better way to manage contacts is something I miss a lot beside the things you named.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
While I wont say I have jumped to Android, but I have recently started using an Android phone as my daily driver though I do carry my beloved 950XL around with me all the time. The primary reason for my opting for an Android phone was battery life as I found myself charging the 950XL once and often twice in the middle of the day. (edit: I did try to source an original OEM battery but failed. I was only getting knock offs, which I try to avoid as much as possible).

The phone I picked - and quite deliberately - was the Moto Z Play. And, I chose it because of its famed battery life, which I am happy to report is actually true. I would never have believed it.

Since I am invested in the MS ecosystem, I was a bit concerned about MS services etc. But I have found apps - mostly MS apps - which have me covered. The only issue was the Outlook app on Android which does not let contacts to be edited, which is quite irritating. But I found a replacement for it - Nine for Outlook (which I paid for). It does all what is necessary though I would have preferred to use the Outlook app.

I find the MZP to be an excellent if heavy device which is quite a contrast to my 950XL. Of course there are two specific areas where the 950XL is untouchable - in terms of screen and the camera. While the screen of the MZP (1080p) is good, but the 950XL is noticeably better.

How was the experience of using an Android phone after being a dedicated Win Phone user? Well, it was an interesting experience. And while my choice of device may have played a role, I have found the OS to be stable and the hardware to be very good - in terms of build quality etc etc. Oh and did I mention the battery life which is phenomenal? And the phone runs cool under stressful conditions.

I am using this phase to wait on what MS may announce in terms of their new phone line up later this year. Lets hope they come up with something nice!!

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I am using this phase to wait on what MS may announce in terms of their new phone line up later this year. Lets hope they come up with something nice!!

I feel like that pretty much sums up my current situation. I'm not set on Android and don't intend to fully leave the ecosystem, I just needed*something to get me by and spending less than $500 was way more justifiable than spending $700 on the Elite x3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett