Impact of Nokia brand relaunched

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't seem like they have anything compelling yet, but no reason that will never change. I don't see them doing much with the 6 as it is.

But they won't affect Windows unless they make a phone with it. Like how Xiaomi releasing a phone won't really affect Windows in its current state.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see how they perform financially. If android will make much of a difference. There's a lot more players in the android market.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
That's why after reading all the 950 user complaints and a lack of a premium device running w10m, Nokia should have despite the past brought out a device that rivaled the 950/XL. For sure the lack of reboots and shutdowns would've allowed people to enjoy this OS more. When MS shows us what their plans are come September I believe Nokia would do well to produce a premium WOA device and show MS what the 950/XL should have been.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That's why after reading all the 950 user complaints and a lack of a premium device running w10m, Nokia should have despite the past brought out a device that rivaled the 950/XL. For sure the lack of reboots and shutdowns would've allowed people to enjoy this OS more. When MS shows us what their plans are come September I believe Nokia would do well to produce a premium WOA device and show MS what the 950/XL should have been.

They wont burn their fingers once again

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It is a cool thought though...Nokia pairing the Nokia 9 to have a W10M variant. Highly unlikely though. Nokia has sold quite a bit of devices up to this point starting in China. I almost want to try one of them out once they hit the US market. The Nokia 6 is a tank of device much how Nokia is known for. There are many reviews of the 6 and there are leaks now of the Nokia 9, which wont be far off. So that is one good thing that they kept most of the original engineering ideas and design. Their Camera effort though in the Nokia 9 is where the consumers will be watching. Since that will be their flagship when it comes, they are aiming a lot in that area, and probably where other trends lie too (small bezels, big screen, water proofing, etc).

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It is a cool thought though...Nokia pairing the Nokia 9 to have a W10M variant. Highly unlikely though. Nokia has sold quite a bit of devices up to this point starting in China. I almost want to try one of them out once they hit the US market. The Nokia 6 is a tank of device much how Nokia is known for. There are many reviews of the 6 and there are leaks now of the Nokia 9, which wont be far off. So that is one good thing that they kept most of the original engineering ideas and design. Their Camera effort though in the Nokia 9 is where the consumers will be watching. Since that will be their flagship when it comes, they are aiming a lot in that area, and probably where other trends lie too (small bezels, big screen, water proofing, etc).

Its not just a cool thought, tis actually a smart thought.
ComScore measures 2.5% installed userbase, whereas marketshare (sales) in the US is less than 1%. That's a lot of people with no compelling reason to upgrade in their perception. Part of that might be the nokia branding (although part is likely MSFTs stoney silence on its quiet mobile machinations).

If this existed, it would probably sell.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
It would be good to see a W10M variant of the nokia 9, I'm not holding out to get one just yet though, but it is tempting. Gonna hang out and see how it's received.

I somehow get the feeling that the market is kind of burnt out, and nokia is just not going to get through all the noise. They're going in with a really high price, and it's competing against some real direct competition now. I know they didn't have a good time with WP, and many people were saying 'if only it was with android' well now we shall see.

Nokia as a company did rather well with the sale. They probably got the better of MS from it.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Nokia will do well on Android (or as well as anyone that isn't Samsung can do these days). There's already a high demand for these phones especially in India etc where Nokia is still a very strong brand. I'll definitely be buying whatever the top flagship model may be (P8/P9?). The rumoured specs look awesome and the build quality so far with the low to midrange models have been top notch. It'll also be running close to pure Android so that's gonna be popular with many Android fans and will mean fast and early updates on the software front.

I can't see them ever doing a Windows version at least not any time soon. They've built strong ties to Google now and will want to prove themselves to them

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Nokia will do well on Android (or as well as anyone that isn't Samsung can do these days). There's already a high demand for these phones especially in India etc where Nokia is still a very strong brand. I'll definitely be buying whatever the top flagship model may be (P8/P9?). The rumoured specs look awesome and the build quality so far with the low to midrange models have been top notch. It'll also be running close to pure Android so that's gonna be popular with many Android fans and will mean fast and early updates on the software front.

I can't see them ever doing a Windows version at least not any time soon. They've built strong ties to Google now and will want to prove themselves to them

India's definitely a wildcard as a so called "emerging" market. Still, in budget they'll have to take on xiaomi, Lenovo etc, and in premium they have to take on Samsung and apple. Premium brands still have growth in india, so brand power like say, apple is apparently very strong.

Everyone's fighting for india in a way. Apple and Samsung just poured a mountain of cash into advertising in places like india, and xiaomi has been quietly working on expansion into the budget market in india for at least a year already.

Perhaps as you say, the brand name nokia still has value enough to compete with the likes of apple and Samsung, or the budget models can compete on price with Chinese companies....but even hearing what you say I am still sceptical.

Companies like HTC have really struggled to break through (and only did recently in the US). Outside the big two, its mostly budget budget budget, and that fish pond is loaded with hungry competitors....(xiaomi, Lenovo, oppo, Huawei, alcatel and more, all with some serious distribution networks already set up - and for phones distribution is major)

I guess we'll see!

Actually counter to the original posters question - if nokia as android flops, and windows phone gets a boost from the various new hardware and software intiatives (windows s, windows on arm, Andromeda, whatever is happening to win10m after the FCU)....will nokia come crawling back to windows phone?

:p

I'm definitely a outside the box thinker, feel free to call be a dreamer, but I don't consider either of those impossible or even unlikely. Together maybe slightly unlikely. But not impossible.

There is a reason why players like TCL and HP, coship and whartonbrooks have flirted with win10m. Because that android market is a nightmare to find a place in. Easier to make a big piece of a small pie, no one is fighting for, than get a crumb from a large pie there is an all out war over.

Last edited by a moderator:

derrieger

May 17, 2017
Visit site
No impact that could be measured by any means. There *might* be some fans switching to Nokia/Android for the sake of the brand name. But as @Guytronic already stated, Nokia doesn't even have an impact on the Android market at the moment. It's simply not the Nokia we all knew.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No impact that could be measured by any means. There *might* be some fans switching to Nokia/Android for the sake of the brand name. But as @Guytronic already stated, Nokia doesn't even have an impact on the Android market at the moment. It's simply not the Nokia we all knew.
And how do you propose they have an impact on the Android market when the phones haven't even been released yet?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It is a gamble in some ways. They have to hit the market hard and at full speed. After this year concludes we might have a better picture. However for the long haul if I were an OEM, I would definitely be looking to see what Microsoft is doing and not limiting myself to the everyday norm of Android.

As far as I am concerned every android device has nothing new to offer that is not already under the sun. The only thing new any OEM/ODM is looking at is the design and hw of the device. Functionality-wise it is all same ole android.

derrieger

May 17, 2017
Visit site
And how do you propose they have an impact on the Android market when the phones haven't even been released yet?

Well, it's a guess, of course. But considering the at best mediocre specs, the generic design, the lack of own software (esp. OS) and the fact that Nokia/HMD won't manufacture the devices themselves, leads me to guessing, that "New Nokia" will be no more than one of about 1200 (Android) device makers in the world.

Nokia smartphones are no better and no worse than *any* cheap Chinese cracker being already out there. You can get cheaper phones with these specs and you can get more powerful phones at this same price. And there is totally nothing special about them except the brand name.
Even Blackberry might have a better chance at having an impact on the market. And they don't build devices, either. But the KeyOne, for example, simply stands out, it's somehow unique. Or take the Motorola brand, owned by Chinese Lenovo and being nothing more than a brand name. The moddable Moto Z devices at least offer a unique selling point. Something you just can't say about Nokia.

Last edited:

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's a guess, of course. But considering the at best mediocre specs, the generic design, the lack of own software (esp. OS) and the fact that Nokia/HMD won't manufacture the devices themselves, leads me to guessing, that "New Nokia" will be no more than one of about 1200 (Android) device makers in the world.

Nokia smartphones are no better and no worse than *any* cheap Chinese cracker being already out there. You can get cheaper phones with these specs and you can get more powerful phones at this same price. And there is totally nothing special about them except the brand name.
Even Blackberry might have a better chance at having an impact on the market. And they don't build devices, either. But the KeyOne, for example, simply stands out, it's somehow unique. Or take the Motorola brand, owned by Chinese Lenovo and being nothing more than a brand name. The moddable Moto Z devices at least offer a unique selling point. Something you just can't say about Nokia.

Mediocre specs? LOL!

You can only speak of the low and midrange phones already announced but the rumoured specs on the P8/P9 are anything but mediocre and blow most flagships like the Galaxy s8 etc out the water. Add the Nokia features of old to those like PureView camera technology, always on display and they're head and shoulders above anything you mention.

derrieger

May 17, 2017
Visit site
Mediocre specs? LOL!

Well, what do we have (or *might* have)? An SD835 like any smartphone in the top area, 64GB internal storage and 4 GB RAM which *is* mediocre / sufficient. Display, operating system, fingerprint sensor, water resistance, etc....there's literally nothing in this yet to come phone you can't already have today.

... blow most flagships like the Galaxy s8 etc out the water.

No, it won't. It will *at best* draw. Even if it *were* faster than the S8: who cares? Speed isn't important anymore, because what SD6xx SoCs deliver is already "good enough".
Nokia's not Apple and not Samsung, either. They have to take what the market can deliver. They're not magicians and they aren't engineers building their own SoC. So what could the "Nokia 9" offer that is not already on the market?
What they could do is combine existing features in a way that didn't exist before. Or they could invest their effort in software, which is not easy when there's a quite "finished" Android running on the phone.

Add the Nokia features of old to those like PureView camera technology, always on display and they're head and shoulders above anything you mention.

So, the 3, 5 and 6 had not a single of these or other "special" features. None. Why should HMD fail at offering those unique selling points at (upper) midrange phones and instead sell generic devices like they do? The less pricy models would have been a great opportunity to experiment a little bit.
If Nokia had something "up their sleeves", where is it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb