02-15-2017 02:26 PM
87 1234
tools
    So what was the issue?
    A lot G5 owners aren't seeing a promised update.
    My 2 Androids are suffering delayed updates after promises from Honor and ZTE.
    Common theme with Android.
    Rosebank, libra89 and Kot Prada like this.
    02-05-2017 06:41 PM
    Yes that's annoying and not fair, I would not be happy about that. if promised it should be fulfilled. I wonder why a company would do that? Probably a cunning plan to make your device fall behind so you buy a newer one sooner?
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-05-2017 06:46 PM
    Yes that's annoying and not fair, I would not be happy about that. if promised it should be fulfilled. I wonder why a company would do that? Probably a cunning plan to make your device fall behind so you buy a newer one sooner?
    I think it boils down to skinned versions of Android.
    Phone makers like to think their versions of Android are the one until it comes to making them function on a new kernel.
    Android phone makers want to sell us new phones versus giving buyers their moneys worth.
    In my opinion Android is aimed at hardware over software these days.
    Rosebank, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-05-2017 06:54 PM
    I think it boils down to skinned versions of Android.
    Phone makers like to think their versions of Android are the one until it comes to making them function on a new kernel.
    Android phone makers want to sell us new phones versus giving buyers their moneys worth.
    In my opinion Android is aimed at hardware over software these days.
    Yes I get that totally, who is responsible for the kernel? Hardware Company/Device company or the Android OS? is it Both? The Kernel is unique to each device so how do they negate that? Its a scandal to not get your update.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-05-2017 07:04 PM
    So what was the issue?
    Battery life was only about 4 hours. T-Mobile pulled the update but I think a fix was issued shortly afterward.
    Rosebank, Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    02-05-2017 07:15 PM
    The Kernel is unique to each device
    The kernel is the base of the OS.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(operating_system)
    Rosebank, Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    02-05-2017 07:16 PM
    A lot G5 owners aren't seeing a promised update.
    My 2 Androids are suffering delayed updates after promises from Honor and ZTE.
    Common theme with Android.
    I am amazed at this, I can't believe there is a place in the world where you can return a phone for not Getting software updates... That's one of The many wonders of living in a civilized country. In Argentina you get subpar versions of any flagship phone, (spec-wise for cost reasons in development countries) charge you twice as much than in The US and there's no way IN HELL you could return anything. No phone carrier gives a toss on software updates. Deal with what you got first and That's it.
    02-05-2017 09:14 PM
    Assumptive terms such as "buggy Android" always gets to me frankly.
    I think these are the users who used Android long back(3.x days) or use 50$ phones loaded with junkware.
    Guytronic and Rosebank like this.
    02-05-2017 09:27 PM
    There was a time when windows OS can run well even in a low end devices! Now windows 10 mobile consume too much ram!
    02-05-2017 11:04 PM
    There was a time when windows OS can run well even in a low end devices! Now windows 10 mobile consume too much ram!
    True...
    Be so nice if there were 2>4GB ram phones running Windows made by Microsoft using owned Nokia technologies.
    Even with the dismal app situation better hardware by Microsoft shouldn't be tossed aside...should it?

So sad that Microsoft destroyed the former glory with it's big boy infamous attitude of internal in-fighting.
    Wish they would just sell the whole frigging mess to someone that cared.
    02-05-2017 11:16 PM
    True...
    Be so nice if there were 2>4GB ram phones running Windows made by Microsoft using owned Nokia technologies.
    Even with the dismal app situation better hardware by Microsoft shouldn't be tossed aside...should it?

So sad that Microsoft destroyed the former glory with it's big boy infamous attitude of internal in-fighting.
    Wish they would just sell the whole frigging mess to someone that cared.
    So true. they cannot apply the laptops and 2in1s strategy to smartphones, for 2in1s it has the major OEMs by its side, same will not be true for phones. so the strategy of inspiring OEMs for its mobile strategy will likely fail
    Guytronic, libra89 and theefman like this.
    02-06-2017 01:23 AM
    Yes android is ruling the mobile platform!
    Yep

Iphone also have some good number of users!
    Yep

But it's time to change !
    Why? Android and iOS works perfectly fine for most people.

There are many people around the world bored with their buggy android & expensive iPhone!
    Android is not buggy and yeah iPhone is expensive, so? Is boredom really a reason to change?

They want to use different OS!
    Really? I think most people want something that will do what they want and or need.

It's sad that Microsoft is not taking this opportunity , they do less marketing for their windows mobile! They just listen some useless tech journalist who always negative about windows mobile! Moreover Microsoft reboot its mobile platform every time that's the annoying for users who thought to shift to windows mobile! Microsoft should invest money on apps making for its own mobile platform
    MS gave up on the idea of being solely about mobile. They're doing things their way. If it doesn't work for you then it's best not to bother with it. Complaining will get you nowhere.
    02-06-2017 02:06 AM
    What I find interesting is that in the mobile realm this idea of 'boring' interface is a big thing. However, we went years and years of Windows being the same interface and people never said anything and even complained when it changed! Yet most interfaces continue to be updated on mobile and in some cases with Android you can customize it to a ridiculous level.

Yet people are never happy, well some people. This idea of 'being bored' with an interface is a new phenomenon solely for mobile. No other OS platform seems to suffer this issue.

Maybe you expect too much from what an OS is supposed to be?
    02-06-2017 06:20 AM
    Visiting over various Windows Central forums says otherwise you can see lots of complaints about this not working.
    It's common for every forum. It's one of the main goals for forum, to help to solve problems. Didn't You visit iMore or AndroidCentral?!
    Rosebank likes this.
    02-06-2017 06:45 AM
    What I find interesting is that in the mobile realm this idea of 'boring' interface is a big thing. However, we went years and years of Windows being the same interface and people never said anything and even complained when it changed! Yet most interfaces continue to be updated on mobile and in some cases with Android you can customize it to a ridiculous level.

Yet people are never happy, well some people. This idea of 'being bored' with an interface is a new phenomenon solely for mobile. No other OS platform seems to suffer this issue.

Maybe you expect too much from what an OS is supposed to be?
    Totally agree and this is what I was trying to establish nearer the beginning of the thread, If your bored, fill your phone with apps that you NEED and or apps that keep you Entertained, if I am bored I use my chess app to kill ten mins or so, I don't think people are bored of their phones, they are bored in general and looking to blame the phone. Its a Smartphone not a genie in a bottle, if the operating system bores you then that's tough luck, if you don't find it interesting then learn how to develop an app instead of moaning.
    N_LaRUE, libra89, techiez and 1 others like this.
    02-06-2017 06:45 AM
    The future is unclear and this puts people off
    The future is unclear for any OS and any of us.
    Last edited by Kot Prada; 02-06-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    Rosebank and aximtreo like this.
    02-06-2017 06:46 AM
    OP, let people use their "buggy" Android phone and "expensive" iPhones with every app they want and need. Every time I need my banks app I use my wife's android phone because my bank removed their app from Windows store.
    I just change bank, since it doesn't fit my needs with their Apple and Android apps. Bank works for You. Not You - for bank. Why would I try to fit my bank, if I pay money to them for their products?

Would You stop eating bread, if You will not find it in Your local store, or You would just find another store?
    Last edited by Kot Prada; 02-07-2017 at 04:06 AM.
    Mach_E likes this.
    02-06-2017 06:51 AM
    Android is not buggy
    OK
    02-06-2017 07:00 AM
    OK
    I could say the same thing about W10 Mobile and iOS lately but hey if you want to be pedantic, all OS's are buggy to some extent.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it true.
    02-06-2017 07:02 AM
    This
    I could say the same thing about W10 Mobile and iOS lately but hey if you want to be pedantic, all OS's are buggy to some extent.
    is actually opposite to what You said earlier.

And this
    just because you don't like something doesn't make it true.
    is more for You, than for me.
    02-06-2017 07:06 AM
    This is actually opposite to what You said earlier.

And this is more for You, than for me.
    Maybe I was being hasty. Just really tired of people referring to Android as 'laggy' and 'buggy' all the time. It's simply not true anymore.

Also my statement is general (which is true) whereas your 'laughter' was implying that Android has serious issues.

I have no issues with any OS personally. I'm not an advocate for any particular OS. I believe in using what works for you.

Android works for me at this point in time. That's why I use it.
    02-06-2017 07:32 AM
    What I find interesting is that in the mobile realm this idea of 'boring' interface is a big thing. However, we went years and years of Windows being the same interface and people never said anything and even complained when it changed!
    Agreed. And to add to this thought, a common complaint about iOS and Android is the "static grid of icons". Well, that's all we've had on desktop for the last 20+ years. It is what we still have today, and probably will have for the foreseeable future.. A brief fling with tiles in Windows 8/8.1 was canned. Are icons somehow great on desktop, but ugly and boring on mobile?
    N_LaRUE, Rosebank, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    02-06-2017 07:35 AM
    Agreed. And to add to this thought, a common complaint about iOS and Android is the "static grid of icons". Well, that's all we've had on desktop for the last 20+ years. It is what we still have today, and probably will have for the foreseeable future.. A brief fling with tiles in Windows 8/8.1 was canned. Are icons somehow great on desktop, but ugly and boring on mobile?
    Maybe because I'm a bit old school I never understood that complaint myself. I get the point of tiles to some extent but I was never absorbed into them to the point that I sat there and watched my home screen for minutes on end. Back in W8/8.1 they used to frustrate me to some extent. The tiles took forever to do anything.... some didn't do anything. So I didn't see the point really.

I have no issues with widgets and static icons. Suits me just fine.
    libra89, tgp and Guytronic like this.
    02-06-2017 07:46 AM
    I think there's a different viewpoint because desktops are/were seen as things that you just have to deal with but with mobile, you get to have the choice of what you want to deal with. Besides, we take our phones everywhere anyway so as a result, it's easier to feel tired of looking at whatever thing much faster than usual.

I'm going to speak for myself when I say what I'm about to say but I doubt that I am alone here at all. I have had my laptop for almost 2 years now and I can count how many times I have changed the wallpaper, which has been 0 times since I liked one of the stock wallpapers a lot. I occasionally move icons but even that happens very rarely.
    My phones on the other hand, I have changed the wallpaper many times and I install and delete apps fairly often, and of course, I have changed the order of my icons to my liking. Since I look at my phone way more than I do for my laptop, it only makes sense to fix and change things to your liking.
    tgp, Kot Prada, Rosebank and 2 others like this.
    02-06-2017 07:56 AM
    I think there's a different viewpoint because desktops are/were seen as things that you just have to deal with but with mobile, you get to have the choice of what you want to deal with. Besides, we take our phones everywhere anyway so as a result, it's easier to feel tired of looking at whatever thing much faster than usual.

I'm going to speak for myself when I say what I'm about to say but I doubt that I am alone here at all. I have had my laptop for almost 2 years now and I can count how many times I have changed the wallpaper, which has been 0 times since I liked one of the stock wallpapers a lot. I occasionally move icons but even that happens very rarely.
    My phones on the other hand, I have changed the wallpaper many times and I install and delete apps fairly often, and of course, I have changed the order of my icons to my liking. Since I look at my phone way more than I do for my laptop, it only makes sense to fix and change things to your liking.
    Yes you have a valid point. I never change the background on my desktop or my phone! In fact, on my phone I set it to black (no background) and leave it there. It saves battery. I haven't had any other background for probably 3 or 4 years.

When I set up a new phone, I put my shortcuts at the same place as on the old phone. My phone's setup looks much like it did several years ago. I personally found that in real life WP's Live Tiles were visually appealing, but less than ideal to use.
    libra89, N_LaRUE, Rosebank and 1 others like this.
    02-06-2017 08:03 AM
87 1234