People want to move from android & iphone

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
At a guess (and only a guess) Regarding Updates, Windows phone or W10M updates the same as the Main PC version on the first Tuesday of every month, I am not sure how they prioritise these updates and what they include but its probably from the feedback hub or forum complaints etc, Or even from their own staff using the devices and devices being tested in labs.
Due to the complexity of w10M there are more (I think) variables to go wrong compared to Android OS. For every thing they fix there seems to be more issues or battery problems etc etc. So the cycle of uncertainty continues but they are trying I suppose and that deserves recognition.

On the Android front they have far less updates, they tweak each version of the operating system that covers thousands of brands, all different devices and this is the ace up their sleeve (excluding apps), they have built up the system over years slowly and steadily and we now have the best Android can offer, each consecutive version is similar to the last but with upgrades and performance upgrades, years of stability and development compared to W10M. This is the difference between the two. MS have had Far far less devices to cover yet stability still seems an issue, this is what I can see anyway. People cant complain about the lack of updates to Android because the releases work and work well.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been here long enough to know that MS isn't responsible for what carriers do and don't. I just wanted to point out that this OS isn't for everyone as OP wants to. I'm not a die hard WP fan, I just use it because I like some features that other two OS doesn't have.

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Many people don't even know that a Windows phone exist. When they see mine and how well it works and how quickly I can perform certain tasks, they love it. They want one but I tend to talk them out of it because I know they would get tires of it quickly due to missing apps and bugs here and there that I can deal with. I don't believe Microsoft or anybody should be promoting their phones until there is a better plan and way ahead from what we have now. I love my 950XL and will not be switching, but I do get frustrated that a basic Marriott app can't work properly. I can't imagine my friends dealing with what I deal with.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For every thing they fix there seems to be more issues or battery problems etc etc. So the cycle of uncertainty continues but they are trying I suppose and that deserves recognition.
It seems lately that even Apple's vaunted shield has been beset with buggy updates. The 10.1 and 10.2 updates were littered with issues, particularly battery-related, that had Apple themselves tell their users not to download them. T-Mobile sent me an email stating I could return my G5 for any other phone due to the Nougat update. Windows Mobile has its share of problems no doubt. But let's not make it look like the others are any better. The tech world moves too fast and users are too impatient to have the latest and greatest and it's putting a strain on engineers to constantly put out newer and better features to satisfy what is an insatiable clientele.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes that's annoying and not fair, I would not be happy about that. if promised it should be fulfilled. I wonder why a company would do that? Probably a cunning plan to make your device fall behind so you buy a newer one sooner?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes that's annoying and not fair, I would not be happy about that. if promised it should be fulfilled. I wonder why a company would do that? Probably a cunning plan to make your device fall behind so you buy a newer one sooner?

I think it boils down to skinned versions of Android.
Phone makers like to think their versions of Android are the one until it comes to making them function on a new kernel.
Android phone makers want to sell us new phones versus giving buyers their moneys worth.
In my opinion Android is aimed at hardware over software these days.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I think it boils down to skinned versions of Android.
Phone makers like to think their versions of Android are the one until it comes to making them function on a new kernel.
Android phone makers want to sell us new phones versus giving buyers their moneys worth.
In my opinion Android is aimed at hardware over software these days.
Yes I get that totally, who is responsible for the kernel? Hardware Company/Device company or the Android OS? is it Both? The Kernel is unique to each device so how do they negate that? Its a scandal to not get your update.

leandrodp2016

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
A lot G5 owners aren't seeing a promised update.
My 2 Androids are suffering delayed updates after promises from Honor and ZTE.
Common theme with Android.

I am amazed at this, I can't believe there is a place in the world where you can return a phone for not Getting software updates... That's one of The many wonders of living in a civilized country. In Argentina you get subpar versions of any flagship phone, (spec-wise for cost reasons in development countries) charge you twice as much than in The US and there's no way IN HELL you could return anything. No phone carrier gives a toss on software updates. Deal with what you got first and That's it.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
There was a time when windows OS can run well even in a low end devices! Now windows 10 mobile consume too much ram!

True...
Be so nice if there were 2>4GB ram phones running Windows made by Microsoft using owned Nokia technologies.
Even with the dismal app situation better hardware by Microsoft shouldn't be tossed aside...should it?

So sad that Microsoft destroyed the former glory with it's big boy infamous attitude of internal in-fighting.
Wish they would just sell the whole frigging mess to someone that cared.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
True...
Be so nice if there were 2>4GB ram phones running Windows made by Microsoft using owned Nokia technologies.
Even with the dismal app situation better hardware by Microsoft shouldn't be tossed aside...should it?

So sad that Microsoft destroyed the former glory with it's big boy infamous attitude of internal in-fighting.
Wish they would just sell the whole frigging mess to someone that cared.

So true. they cannot apply the laptops and 2in1s strategy to smartphones, for 2in1s it has the major OEMs by its side, same will not be true for phones. so the strategy of inspiring OEMs for its mobile strategy will likely fail

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes android is ruling the mobile platform!
Yep

Iphone also have some good number of users!
Yep

But it's time to change !
Why? Android and iOS works perfectly fine for most people.

There are many people around the world bored with their buggy android & expensive iPhone!
Android is not buggy and yeah iPhone is expensive, so? Is boredom really a reason to change?

They want to use different OS!
Really? I think most people want something that will do what they want and or need.

It's sad that Microsoft is not taking this opportunity , they do less marketing for their windows mobile! They just listen some useless tech journalist who always negative about windows mobile! Moreover Microsoft reboot its mobile platform every time that's the annoying for users who thought to shift to windows mobile! Microsoft should invest money on apps making for its own mobile platform

MS gave up on the idea of being solely about mobile. They're doing things their way. If it doesn't work for you then it's best not to bother with it. Complaining will get you nowhere.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What I find interesting is that in the mobile realm this idea of 'boring' interface is a big thing. However, we went years and years of Windows being the same interface and people never said anything and even complained when it changed! Yet most interfaces continue to be updated on mobile and in some cases with Android you can customize it to a ridiculous level.

Yet people are never happy, well some people. This idea of 'being bored' with an interface is a new phenomenon solely for mobile. No other OS platform seems to suffer this issue.

Maybe you expect too much from what an OS is supposed to be?

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
What I find interesting is that in the mobile realm this idea of 'boring' interface is a big thing. However, we went years and years of Windows being the same interface and people never said anything and even complained when it changed! Yet most interfaces continue to be updated on mobile and in some cases with Android you can customize it to a ridiculous level.

Yet people are never happy, well some people. This idea of 'being bored' with an interface is a new phenomenon solely for mobile. No other OS platform seems to suffer this issue.

Maybe you expect too much from what an OS is supposed to be?

Totally agree and this is what I was trying to establish nearer the beginning of the thread, If your bored, fill your phone with apps that you NEED and or apps that keep you Entertained, if I am bored I use my chess app to kill ten mins or so, I don't think people are bored of their phones, they are bored in general and looking to blame the phone. Its a Smartphone not a genie in a bottle, if the operating system bores you then that's tough luck, if you don't find it interesting then learn how to develop an app instead of moaning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos