What would it take for you to abandon ship?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This is a question I've been pondering lately. What would it take for you to abandon Windows 10 Mobile for another operating system?

A loss of apps? A loss of certain functionality? Maybe new features of hardware from competitors (iOS/Android)?

What would it take?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For me, it would take a few things:

-Instagram would have to quit being updated altogether
-All of the Windows 10 Mobile phones are only big (i.e. Idol 4s, Elite x3)
-ESPN app somehow no longer works (with notifications)
-mTalk is somehow pulled
-OverDrive workaround no longer works
-Spotify pulls their app

For me, it's really in the few apps and the workarounds failing. Indifferent about hardware features. If that somehow happened, I would be done with it altogether.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how to attack the question having deposed my one remaining WP to second place.

To answer directly I think if the new phone choices dry up completely I would be done.
Reminding myself what I do on a phone most of the time are simply the basics frankly.

I still think Microsoft were idiots for abandoning hardware.
The company should have at least had one new release event per year.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For me it was lack of OS and app stability, both on Insider and on Release build. That, plus there was no navigation option I liked. Waze was my favorite but it was gradually breaking (no more voice, no more app updates). And finally I got tired of being emotionally involved in a dying platform. The slew of depressing articles on this site actually contributed to the switch. Would have been cheaper to stop reading Windows Central, but here I am, typing this on an iPhone. Darn it!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry - a bit off topic here. What workaround are you talking about?

It's fine, it's your own topic xd
The workaround is that you go to your local library's overdrive site on edge (or your browser of choice). Bookmark that page, log in and then you can check out (and read!) books in Edge as well. Tap read now on your loan. It will open a new tab for your book and it automatically syncs, unlike the outdated app in the store.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am happy with my 950XL as it is. Android and iOS doesn't have anything extra I require. Sure, they have more apps, but I don't need most of them anyway.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
WhatsApp quitting on the OS, mainly because it is the only messaging app that all my family members use, and what most of my friends use (some use Telegram, but they number only a few).

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I've decided I wont be investing any more money into the platform but I am not abandoning it.

For me that mean I will continue to use my 950xl until it breaks (or I break it LOL).

Once my 950xl is not usable anymore I'm moving over to Android.

The hard fast faithful can try to argue but Windows Mobile is dead. This is official direct from Microsoft heard first hand.

Yes there will be a mobile "presence" indirectly through the Windows 10 one core but absolutely nothing will be happening with mobile except for more companies abandoning their apps.

I'll revisit the platform once they have Windows 10 running on everything which wont be for another year at best.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
For me it would be the lack of new phones to chose, when I decide to change mine. If there are no new good phones coming out once in awhile, I'm done. Apps I can live without a few.

twrist

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping to make my Lumia 950 last as long as possible, because I like the camera, and the screen resolution and clarity... I also really like W10, for my sins. If in the foreseeable future we lose WhatsApp; the Guardian; Instagram; Spotify; Twitter, then I'm afraid I would have to jump ship much earlier.

I don't like constantly living in fear that an app I use will have its support dropped. If the climate of Windows ownership were different, I would be the happiest 950 owner there is and wouldn't be thinking about replacing it for another year or two yet, I imagine. As it is, I'm probably going to move to a Sony or potentially back to Nokia branded phones once they are properly up and running. We shall see.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping to make my Lumia 950 last as long as possible, because I like the camera, and the screen resolution and clarity... I also really like W10, for my sins. If in the foreseeable future we lose WhatsApp; the Guardian; Instagram; Spotify; Twitter, then I'm afraid I would have to jump ship much earlier.

I don't like constantly living in fear that an app I use will have its support dropped. If the climate of Windows ownership were different, I would be the happiest 950 owner there is and wouldn't be thinking about replacing it for another year or two yet, I imagine. As it is, I'm probably going to move to a Sony or potentially back to Nokia branded phones once they are properly up and running. We shall see.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
If you're living in constant fear about losing support for one of your apps I beg you to leave now for a different os that has everything you need. No one should live in constant fear over a phone

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't leave windows mobile 10 just cause of apps. My Lumia 950 been awesome only app I wish I had was US bank. Overall with the few games I have an apps im good why switch?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If you're living in constant fear about losing support for one of your apps I beg you to leave now for a different os that has everything you need. No one should live in constant fear over a phone

Agree. If you're living in fear of losing an app you should use something else, or have a drink.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Podster16

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
already bought a cheap android phone to see how it goes, and it's great knowing i have what ever app i need, but still get drawn back to windows as i got on great with windows 8, if nothing game changing happens this year i'll swap totally to android for my phone
windows 8 had far more useful apps for me, 10 has been a disappointment as i could live with the messy settings layout of 8 as how often do you use settings lol

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
This last update is enough to make me abandon ship.

Thank you MICROSUCK for deleting my text, phone, and contact history!!!!!!

Also thank you for making maps a useless POS.

My favorite feature is the repetitive and constant nagging that my email account settings are out of date for all 5 of my email accounts.
And to top it off one of those accounts just flat out wont work at all anymore.

I also love how the battery drains and lightspeed, the keyboard works like crap, and notifications are random and sporadic.

Thanks Microsoft you're the best!! MORONS!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
This last update is enough to make me abandon ship.

Thank you MICROSUCK for deleting my text, phone, and contact history!!!!!!

Also thank you for making maps a useless POS.

My favorite feature is the repetitive and constant nagging that my email account settings are out of date for all 5 of my email accounts.
And to top it off one of those accounts just flat out wont work at all anymore.

I also love how the battery drains and lightspeed, the keyboard works like crap, and notifications are random and sporadic.

Thanks Microsoft you're the best!! MORONS!

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln; how did you like the play.

A simple good bye would have sufficed.

What would make me bail? Another posting like this. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

By the way, you didn't ask for help on any of these problem areas so I guess you are serious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)