11-09-2017 10:49 AM
87 ... 234
tools
    Xperia X single sim is being tested too. Is that the model you listed above? Sorry for repeating info...I've never touched a Sony yet...:)
    Edit: never mind I read the Jolla blog post and answered my own question.
    Last edited by Nate W; 07-05-2017 at 07:24 AM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-04-2017 08:15 PM
    @RumoredNow
    Despite the delay of the sales date, how do you think this will go over for Jolla? Where is the money going exactly in support of their efforts? I am sucker for testing out new things, and might be interested in being a guinea pig if I muster up enough reason to leave my W10M devices alone for a while.
    09-27-2017 11:05 PM
    @RumoredNow
    Despite the delay of the sales date, how do you think this will go over for Jolla? Where is the money going exactly in support of their efforts? I am sucker for testing out new things, and might be interested in being a guinea pig if I muster up enough reason to leave my W10M devices alone for a while.
    Right now I think they just need to build word of mouth and get into the blogoshpere.

The roughly $60 fee does include an EU VAT so I'm hoping the price gets shaved down for non EU purchases which would encourage more tinkerers to get involved. Where the money is going is a good question, but also somewhat moot as they have no hardware sales anymore and there are licensing fees that must be payed. I've no idea what the Russia and China deals netted them, but I'm sure another infusion of cash is needed to keep them afloat and don't begrudge them the fee.

Good news is we should have a Windows Installer courtesy of Sony. https://blog.jolla.com/sailfish-x-new-sales-start-day/ My Linux Fu is a bit weak and rusty.

The biggest draws for me are the gesture driven nature of the OS and the Live Covers. Remember, I'm a webOS ex-pat. Also the privacy forward nature of the OS is enticing for me.

I guess we will know more about pricing on October 4 and the October 11 launch is still the target.

My quandary is, do I try it out before I travel overseas (flying out October 23) or be prudent and wait till I return in November?
    09-28-2017 09:43 AM
    My quandary is, do I try it out before I travel overseas (flying out October 23) or be prudent and wait till I return in November?
    By that, do you mean as a daily driver? Why not try it out, and decide if it is worthy to run it overseas. You already have a plan to not use it anyway, right?

Or are you thinking of waiting to see if they open up their market for US/CA in that amount of time?
    09-28-2017 06:31 PM
    I would definitely wait until returning. You're assuming the install will be totally glitch-free. Remember you're dealing with that little penguin and his temperamental ways.

Remember, I'm a webOS ex-pat.
    Is there such a thing? I prefer to think of myself as being on an extended visa. Just yesterday I fired up the Touchpad for old times' sake and immediately felt the urge to throw my shiny new iPhone 8 and my not-so-new iPad against the wall.
    09-28-2017 06:47 PM
    You're assuming the install will be totally glitch-free.
    Not really. I'm expecting a protracted process to flash and then shakedown. Plus it has a few bugs to start so... Eager as I am I probably will wait until I return from Lisboa.

Is there such a thing? I prefer to think of myself as being on an extended visa. Just yesterday I fired up the Touchpad for old times' sake and immediately felt the urge to throw my shiny new iPhone 8 and my not-so-new iPad against the wall.
    I never saved a webOS device. At times I wish I had. The TouchPad was especially nice, but I even loved my little Veer. LOL.
    09-28-2017 06:51 PM
    I even loved my little Veer. LOL.
    Oh God yes! I remember your posts on webOS Nation about your Panda.
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    09-28-2017 06:54 PM
    Had a bobble with my card and had to call my bank, but I got the charge to go through and I have Sailfish X downloading now.

Hope customs let's me into the US with it on my computer. LOL

I'll install it when I get home. Don't want to flash the phone while on the road.
    fatclue_98, Nate W and libra89 like this.
    10-28-2017 11:17 AM
    Looking good so far. Had a bit of confusion over the USB drivers for Fastboot. Two different instruction sets and I was following the wrong one at first. Got it sorted and got Sailfish X installed on my Xperia X F5121.

Have the phone jumping through a few hoops already. Microsoft Integration is pretty deep. Loving the UI.

A couple of hurdles to get over still. Need a YouMail apk to sideload and trying to get my Iron browser to sync from desktop. Other things have proceeded pretty easily. So far it's a pretty good return for the time I put in setting up. Very pleased.

Moar soon.
    Nate W and libra89 like this.
    11-09-2017 12:26 AM
    Would you mind posting a short video of maybe your top features of this OS? I am thinking of looking for an Experia X in the future.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-09-2017 09:19 AM
    Looking good so far. Had a bit of confusion over the USB drivers for Fastboot. Two different instruction sets and I was following the wrong one at first. Got it sorted and got Sailfish X installed on my Xperia X F5121.

Have the phone jumping through a few hoops already. Microsoft Integration is pretty deep. Loving the UI.

A couple of hurdles to get over still. Need a YouMail apk to sideload and trying to get my Iron browser to sync from desktop. Other things have proceeded pretty easily. So far it's a pretty good return for the time I put in setting up. Very pleased.

Moar soon.
    Cool! I will be looking forward to more of your thoughts. I'm glad that you got it working.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-09-2017 10:12 AM
    Would you mind posting a short video of maybe your top features of this OS? I am thinking of looking for an Experia X in the future.
    I'm hoping to do a review video soon...

Cool! I will be looking forward to more of your thoughts. I'm glad that you got it working.
    Thank You. It's exciting to start down a new path.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-09-2017 10:49 AM
87 ... 234