Need help choosing a new phone

ghese

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
So here's the situation. I've been a huge fan of Windows. Been using Windows mobile, Windows phone and Windows 10 mobile.

Last phone I got was the Lumia 950XL. Appart from the lackluster build-quality (the mozo leather case kinda made it more bearable), I was extremely satisfied With it. Especially the continuum feature. (Connecting to my Xbox, using Remote desktop to Connect to my University and run matlab and do other School work on my TV. Now that's some great value).

However, I managed to crack up my screen and it's only a matter of time till water seeps in and ruins the Whole phone. It's already started to act up. So I need to find myself a New phone before my 950xl is completely dead.

1) Get the iPhone 7:
- Pricey but somewhat future proof
- Con: No headphone Jack. It's like a huge deal-breaker. I use a headphone to Connect to Xbox, Laptop and School PCs. Having a headphone With Apple proprietary Connection is extremely unpractical.
Solution: Use an adaptor. But the practicality is questionable

2) Get the iPhone SE:
- Way cheaper. Could be a fine temporary phone till Microsoft hopefully releases a Surface Phone.
- Good battery-life.
- Con: The front-facing camera is only 1.2 MP. I do use the front-facing camera alot.

3) Get the iPhone 6s:
- It's got everything I need. But costs way more than the SE. While it's not as future-proof as iPhone 7.

4) Wait another 3 months for iPhone 7s:
- They may consider adding the headphone Jack back in??
- Extremely future proof, even if it's going to be extremely pricey
- Not sure if the 950XL will last another 3 months.

Those seem to be my options as of now. Being deprived of apps, if I'm buying a New phone, if it's anything but Windows, I want the best app experience. Apps on iOS are without any doubt far better than those on Android. Android just has the app-count to boast about, the quality on those apps are aweful! Not to mention the Android lag that would be too obvious on non-flagship Phones. Not to mention the delay in getting Notifications and so on. I just can't stand Android for everyday use, it's just so inconsistent

Please help me, I'm so lost.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Before I give my answer, how big is this crack? Sometimes tempered glass screen protectors can kind of "absorb" small cracks so you wouldn't have to worry about water getting in.

The front camera on the SE isn't too bad, it might be a nice stopgap for now if the crack is big. Unless you can find a good deal on the 6s, I recommend the SE.

ghese

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Before I give my answer, how big is this crack? Sometimes tempered glass screen protectors can kind of "absorb" small cracks so you wouldn't have to worry about water getting in.

The front camera on the SE isn't too bad, it might be a nice stopgap for now if the crack is big. Unless you can find a good deal on the 6s, I recommend the SE.

I'd say the crack is huge, With some deeper areas. It's the first time I manage to crack a screen like this, so I might also be exhaggerating a bit. I've definetly seen worse cracks on Phones.

And are you sure about the front facing camera on SE? I mean, the phone is Perfect in every other sense for that price. But 1.2 MP does sound really bad compared to the 5 mp I'm used to on 950XL.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'd say the crack is huge, With some deeper areas. It's the first time I manage to crack a screen like this, so I might also be exhaggerating a bit. I've definetly seen worse cracks on Phones.

And are you sure about the front facing camera on SE? I mean, the phone is Perfect in every other sense for that price. But 1.2 MP does sound really bad compared to the 5 mp I'm used to on 950XL.

Ooh, in that case about the crack, that doesn't sound good.

For context, I have both phones (the 950 (not the XL but same cameras of course) and the SE). In situations with low light, the SE's camera isn't so good but it does have retina flash, which can help sometimes in those situations. The 950s on the other hand has more detail in low light situations, even though it doesn't have any kind of flash at all.

So it really depends on your lighting situations where you plan to use the camera. If you're always planning to use it in situations with low light, I would advise skipping the SE.

Edit: http://forums.imore.com/iphone-se/360078-pictures-se.html

If you have a moment, please browse this thread. There are some pictures taken with the front camera there. Hopefully that helps you some.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
FWIW, I'm leaning towards the Rotten Apple also.

I disliked Windows Mobile until 8, and disliked the tiny Iphone and Cult of Jobs even more. However, I eventually got sick of Android and switched to Windows Mobile 8.1 and 10. It just sucks less than the competition.

Lately though, the app gap has become a productivity issue. Also, seeing my Microsoft reps enjoy a better experience on their Iphones than I have on my Elite X3, has made me doubt.

Maybe my sons and their friends are onto something with their Iphones...

http://www.perfectreign.com/2017/05/iphone/

Sent from mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone SE is an exceptional phone. Easy to carry around, fast, excellent battery life. I haven't used the front facing camera so if selfies are important to you it might be a drawback. I can't see it as a negative though.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
There's some good deals on unlocked alcatel 4s pros on ebay, if w10m still interests you. Camera ain't quite as good, but speakers are apparently amazing, processer/ram is better.

People who use the SE seem pretty happy with it. And being HP intends to release a new x3 by all indications (they are working with MS of new 10m productivity features, and some photo leaks of different looking phones are around), the price of the current x3 will probably come down when it drops.

There's also some odds (not as certain as a new x3) that alcatel will release a refresh too - they have a new android, and their pattern last time was to re-use the hardware for windows, and blackdroid as well.

I expect there will be at least a new flagship or two, in the fall.

Any surface phone, I suspect will not be a slab. It won't drop this year most likely, and it'll IMO probably be something like a detachable clamshell, or something unusual. Worth keeping in mind, if your waiting for a MS phone, its going to be "out of the box". It also may be pricey.

So yeah, I wouldn't "wait for a surface phone". I'd try and find something decent to tide you over for what could be two years. Of course you need a phone soon. SE might be the gap filler. Cricket has it cheap (locked) if your one of those US folks.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to Phone Wars.

If anyone is considering Android with security as a high-priority, go Pixel, BlackBerry or phone with Lineage OS support.
The others, if you buy high-end aren't as bad but they're not great. There's a lot of bad Android phones but they cast a shadow over the good ones like cheap Windows laptops from back in the day.

Anyways regarding the original post...

Apple is NOT adding a headphone jack back in. They stick to their guns.

I would think the SE is the way to go, unless the size is an issue. If I had to go iOS, I'd go with an SE.

ghese

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. As for Android, I just can't bear it. Even when I tried out the S8, the lag was apparent. The thing is, With Windows, the apps may sometimes show the loading screen when multitasking, But that's consistent. It may be slower at launching apps when comparesd side to side With a New android flagship. But it's always consistent. You know what to expect. Android on the other hand, the lag and delays are so random. It's just hopeless to use.

But thanks again guys! Tried out the Se at store, the front facing camera wasn't too bad, at least in good lighting.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. As for Android, I just can't bear it. Even when I tried out the S8, the lag was apparent. The thing is, With Windows, the apps may sometimes show the loading screen when multitasking, But that's consistent. It may be slower at launching apps when comparesd side to side With a New android flagship. But it's always consistent. You know what to expect. Android on the other hand, the lag and delays are so random. It's just hopeless to use.

But thanks again guys! Tried out the Se at store, the front facing camera wasn't too bad, at least in good lighting.

Must just be Samsung because I don't have any of these issues.

Anyway, best of luck with your choice of phone. :)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Must just be Samsung because I don't have any of these issues.

Anyway, best of luck with your choice of phone. :)

Nah android has this weird habit of running fluid most of the time, and then suddenly having large slow downs on particular activities. Its not just Samsung. Might be the app interface, dunno. But I've seen it on a wide variety of android devices, and across different versions/flavours.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Nah android has this weird habit of running fluid most of the time, and then suddenly having large slow downs on particular activities. Its not just Samsung. Might be the app interface, dunno. But I've seen it on a wide variety of android devices, and across different versions/flavours.

You're talking to the wrong guy. He recently got a new Android phone but he had his previous phone for years so him saying that is not incorrect.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the same Android device, a Moto X Pure Edition, 1½ years now, and mine hasn't had those issues. I've never done a FDR since I've had it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using android for over three years now. I moved over from a 920, it was a bit of a lemon for me.

I've had no issues with my old or new phone. The newer version of android is even better than the one I had previously.

All companies have lemon phones. Also a lot issues with android is people using off market apps.

To each their own though. I'm not for dissing companies or tech. I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to that.

At the end of the day, it's about what I want and how I work with it that matters.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've been using android for over three years now. I moved over from a 920, it was a bit of a lemon for me.

I've had no issues with my old or new phone. The newer version of android is even better than the one I had previously.

All companies have lemon phones. Also a lot issues with android is people using off market apps.

To each their own though. I'm not for dissing companies or tech. I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to that.

At the end of the day, it's about what I want and how I work with it that matters.

So your saying nothing has ever taken a long time to load an app? Like just suddenly out of the blue?

Maybe they fixed this somewhat with 6.0 *shrug* (although it seems app specific). Or are these all phones with very large amounts of ram, like more than 3gb? Or do they have custom app loaders (app loaders seem to often be unstable).

IDK, that's interesting to me. I wonder whats different specifically with you guys phones, from the device's I've had experience with. I've not yet used an android device (any) that doesn't experience this, am curious.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So your saying nothing has ever taken a long time to load an app? Like just suddenly out of the blue?

Maybe they fixed this somewhat with 6.0 *shrug* (although it seems app specific). Or are these all phones with very large amounts of ram, like more than 3gb? Or do they have custom app loaders (app loaders seem to often be unstable).

IDK, that's interesting to me. I wonder whats different specifically with you guys phones, from the device's I've had experience with. I've not yet used an android device (any) that doesn't experience this, am curious.
That hasn't happened to me, and I over 250 apps on my device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism