Back with a windows phone... S8 android

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I've turned my S8 into a Microsoft phone. I was a happy user of Windows Phone but the ambiguity of recent months meant I was ready to bail out.

After a brief stint on an iPhone I succumbed to the beauty of the S8. Great phone, love the features it has. I have now installed arrow and next launcher on to it along with SwiftKey and various other Microsoft apps. My phone is running more Microsoft stuff now than either Google or Samsung.

A lot are struggling with Windows Phone...i would encourage folks stick with it, be stronger than I was... However if like me you have found your breaking point, android can be Windows with little work. No live tiles or anything but arrow launcher integrates really well into office 365, perhaps more than wp does.

Anyone else using this solution. This will be me for 3 years, hopefully by then surface phone 2 is out and I can jump back on board a much happier and clearly steered ship :)

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your venturing out into Android-land. My wife has an S8 and my company would provide me an S8, for free if I ask for it. I just love W10M and my Lumia 950 XL DS. However, the lack of apps and quality apps is really getting to me. I've always wondered how well a MS/Windows junkie would survive in an Android/Windows hybrid ecosystem.

I'm holding out for Surface Phone, but it better get here quick. Keep us updated on your experience.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your venturing out into Android-land. My wife has an S8 and my company would provide me an S8, for free if I ask for it. I just love W10M and my Lumia 950 XL DS. However, the lack of apps and quality apps is really getting to me. I've always wondered how well a MS/Windows junkie would survive in an Android/Windows hybrid ecosystem.

I'm holding out for Surface Phone, but it better get here quick. Keep us updated on your experience.
I'm really liking this so far. My phone is more Microsoft than anything now....

SwiftKey keyboard is fairly good... Some bizarre swipes but that's normal with any keyboard.

Arrow launcher is the oos equivalent, super fast, very clean, very helpful with integration with office and outlook.

Next launcher is the notification screen, what's great about that is that i have my diary appointments on my lockscreen again which is great.

All of that is Microsoft and well updated and supported.

I miss Windows Phone but, for consumers and even prosumers which I am, there is to much ambiguity there. The S8 is a great phone, with the Microsoft stuff it is running really well for me.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
If the rumors are correct a Samsung ativ (windows mobile 10) is due for release in the coming months.

What? Really? My first Windows phone was the ATIV S; I dumped my iPhone 4 for this, and loved it!! Then I moved up to the ATIV SE; absolutely amazing phone! Way ahead of it's time. Very much underappreciated, but I loved it! I'm now using a 950 XL; love the camera and screen, but...if a new ATIV came out, i'd be VERY tempted to check it out...

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm really liking this so far. My phone is more Microsoft than anything now....

SwiftKey keyboard is fairly good... Some bizarre swipes but that's normal with any keyboard.

Arrow launcher is the oos equivalent, super fast, very clean, very helpful with integration with office and outlook.

Next launcher is the notification screen, what's great about that is that i have my diary appointments on my lockscreen again which is great.

All of that is Microsoft and well updated and supported.

I miss Windows Phone but, for consumers and even prosumers which I am, there is to much ambiguity there. The S8 is a great phone, with the Microsoft stuff it is running really well for me.

I have on old Galaxy S5 sitting on my counter. I keep the OS and apps up to date, mostly just to see 'what i'm missing'. And...for my needs, i'm not missing much; most of what your read online and see in ads is hype. The 6.0.1 OS is very very weak compared to our Windows 10 mobile OS. I'm sticking with Windows!

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I have on old Galaxy S5 sitting on my counter. I keep the OS and apps up to date, mostly just to see 'what i'm missing'. And...for my needs, i'm not missing much; most of what your read online and see in ads is hype. The 6.0.1 OS is very very weak compared to our Windows 10 mobile OS. I'm sticking with Windows!
Windows phone os is better imo too, I just couldn't cope with the ambiguity and frustration of how Microsoft is expressing (or not!) their vision for mobile.

Have you tried arrow launcher on your Samsung? Worth a wee look, if nothing else it may show a solution Microsoft are working on in the mobile space.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
What? Really? My first Windows phone was the ATIV S; I dumped my iPhone 4 for this, and loved it!! Then I moved up to the ATIV SE; absolutely amazing phone! Way ahead of it's time. Very much underappreciated, but I loved it! I'm now using a 950 XL; love the camera and screen, but...if a new ATIV came out, i'd be VERY tempted to check it out...

My first Windows Phone 8 phone was Samsung ATIV S i8750, or how they use to call it Galaxy S3 with Windows Phone. Previously i was on Windows Mobile 6.5.5, i skipped WP7 and 7.5 went straight ahead on WP8 with ATIV S. If i didn't lost that phone, I would still have it till today, I still can't get over it after 2 years of usage. Now I have Lumia 950 it's a great phone, but that Samsung ATIV S had a soul of its own. If Samsung will pull this out and make, let's say, ATIV S2 or ATIV S10 (windows 10) I will be like: Please take my money and don't ask, lol. I will be the first in line to get it, no matter how much it will cost. :)

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Windows phone os is better imo too, I just couldn't cope with the ambiguity and frustration of how Microsoft is expressing (or not!) their vision for mobile.

Have you tried arrow launcher on your Samsung? Worth a wee look, if nothing else it may show a solution Microsoft are working on in the mobile space.

Yes - I have the latest version of Arrow launcher. It tries to make the Android OS like Windows mobile; I like some of the features (like scrolling up and down, instead of left and right); but - Android 6.0.1 is no match for the latest Win 10 mobile. For example, go to 'Storage' on each OS. This isn't even a close 'fight'; Windows is so much more advanced; there are WAY more options and information presented in Windows 10. I can't believe how 'minimal' Android is in this area....

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had every version of Windows Phone. The lack of support and apps was the final straw for me. Switched to Android and wouldn't go back.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Because you say so or do you have something to share with the class? A simple link would suffice.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo onmTalk

So is this the new internet standard? Somebody posts some rumour and the one who calls bulls*** has to falsify the claim?

This was just a truly bad photoshop job:
https://www.onmsft.com/news/new-rumor-points-to-a-windows-10-mobile-version-of-samsungs-galaxy-s8

It says "6 GB RAM" although W10M does not support more than 3 (or 4) GB. And it says "Version 1704"...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry. But, slapping a Taurus logo on your Civic doesn't mean your Hondo is more of a Ford now.
Lol
Twitter: @PhotographyET
? What is your issue with what I have shared? That I shouldn't like it? Or shouldn't share my thoughts?

What a very peculiar response to someone sharing what they feel works for them. I made no value statement on any os but for some reason you feel a desperate need to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb