why keep using windows/windows phone?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
heh, you must not have been forced to actually use a BB10 device. I had first the Z10 then the Q10. I'm sure you can find some of my rantings on crackberry. My coworkers and staff resoundly despised the awful UI also.

But it was the "iPhone killer".

It was certainly a different OS that could have been viable had it come out several years earlier and had an app ecosystem. The only thing it shamed was itself.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But it was the "iPhone killer".

It was certainly a different OS that could have been viable had it come out several years earlier and had an app ecosystem. The only thing it shamed was itself.
I compare an OS based on what it can do out of the box. In that regard iOS is severely outclassed by its competitors past and present.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 via mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I compare an OS based on what it can do out of the box. In that regard iOS is severely outclassed by its competitors past and present.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 via mTalk

I don't have a problem with that statement as long as you add "for you". There is no way you can know what an OS accomplishes for others. BB10 got beat down because it didn't accomplish what the majority needed out of the box.

I don't take these comparisons personal, I look at history and facts. I also don't take excuses like blaming the carriers, the press or the 99% as legitimate. Of course every individual has different needs or wants, but the majority usually wins. Whether you or I like it or not, until another OS shows it legitimately brings something the others don't and something the majority want, iOS and Android are still the best for the majority of people.

That includes Windows phone/mobile/andromeda/widget or whatever you want to call it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a problem with that statement as long as you add "for you". There is no way you can know what an OS accomplishes for others. BB10 got beat down because it didn't accomplish what the majority needed out of the box.

I don't take these comparisons personal, I look at history and facts. I also don't take excuses like blaming the carriers, the press or the 99% as legitimate. Of course every individual has different needs or wants, but the majority usually wins. Whether you or I like it or not, until another OS shows it legitimately brings something the others don't and something the majority want, iOS and Android are still the best for the majority of people.

That includes Windows phone/mobile/andromeda/widget or whatever you want to call it.
What an OS does and what users want are on two planes sometimes. For example, iOS has never offered external storage, wireless charging, removable batteries, file management, HDMI video out, cross-platform Bluetooth file sharing, mouse support, NFC tagging, USB-OTG and many others I can't think of right now. With the exception of wireless charging, the lowly Z10 offered all of these. The 950 has all these except HDMI out and iris scanning to boot.

Out of the box, what does iOS have the others don't? Again, we're not comparing app selection because we then can bring Android into the conversation and then it can get very embarrassing for iOS.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
What an OS does and what users want are on two planes sometimes. For example, iOS has never offered external storage, wireless charging, removable batteries, file management, HDMI video out, cross-platform Bluetooth file sharing, mouse support, NFC tagging, USB-OTG and many others I can't think of right now. With the exception of wireless charging, the lowly Z10 offered all of these. The 950 has all these except HDMI out and iris scanning to boot.

Out of the box, what does iOS have the others don't? Again, we're not comparing app selection because we then can bring Android into the conversation and then it can get very embarrassing for iOS.

An ecosystem that people want and use in large numbers?Apparently they're somehow surviving without all those "necessities".

One thing I've learned about Apple is they don't just throw things out there just because they can. They build them into their ecosystem thinking about the future. Not that I agree with every move, but it's hard to argue with the results.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
An ecosystem that people want and use in large numbers?Apparently they're somehow surviving without all those "necessities".

One thing I've learned about Apple is they don't just throw things out there just because they can. They build them into their ecosystem thinking about the future. Not that I agree with every move, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Once again, let's leave the ecosystem out of the equation. Google's ecosystem is every bit as robust as Apple's AND their high-end devices come with many, if not most, of the features I've listed. It's probably why Android is the worldwide leader in the mobile sector and it's not even close. I would posit that if Apple had even half these features the gap between number 1 and number 2 would be decidedly closer. Don't confuse me with a hater, I believe Apple has superior apps and their hardware is second to none. But their OS lacks vital features that the competition has and I believe that has hurt them. Apple's marketing department has managed to convince their minions that these features are superfluous and unnecessary. And they should be commended for their efforts.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Once again, let's leave the ecosystem out of the equation. Google's ecosystem is every bit as robust as Apple's AND their high-end devices come with many, if not most, of the features I've listed. It's probably why Android is the worldwide leader in the mobile sector and it's not even close. I would posit that if Apple had even half these features the gap between number 1 and number 2 would be decidedly closer. Don't confuse me with a hater, I believe Apple has superior apps and their hardware is second to none. But their OS lacks vital features that the competition has and I believe that has hurt them. Apple's marketing department has managed to convince their minions that these features are superfluous and unnecessary. And they should be commended for their efforts.

I agree that Android has more features out of the box. It is the leader because their cheap offerings. Apple has a better and more fluid ecosystem (sorry) which means people will pay more for the better experience and lack of fragmentation. BB10 had neither.

As far as the features you mentioned and value, 99% of people do not care. How many normal users need Bluetooth file sharing? The next iPhone is supposed to have wireless charging if that's important to you. For what the majority of people use their phone for, which is not HDMI, both Android and iPhone fit the bill depending on your personal preference. BB10 is in a graveyard decomposing. They did have to dig different size graves though because the Passport was too wide to fit in a normal one. 🤣

Hey, that's just my opinion though.

But isn't this about Windows phone???

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ecosystem is defined as multiple encompassing points correlating to form an all inclusive flow of information. The only real point of emphasis with Apple albeit an important one, is the iPhone. Let's face it, the iPad has become an oversized iPhone, and anything running OSX is in the distant backseat. There are more people who use a PC running Windows 10 and an Xbox than an iPhone and another Apple device. Skype has it's embarrassing moments, but I do like how it is integrated into the office suite, as I like how MSN integrates the office suite, Facebook, and Skype. I like how Bing integrates MSN and Outlook. I don't think iTunes and compare to Groove or TV and Films on any Windows device.
The missing piece for Windows is their mobile rendition. I believe their new entry will have an impact similar to what the Surface had. MSFT has already set the groundwork with UWP, the issue now is consistency. Apps like Groove show just how amazing it can be, but not all the apps have functionality like that. Skype is one that doesn't.

Abhilash Thadhani

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
I have been using Lumia 1020 ever since it was launched. It has given me very good service and I still use it. But now I have started getting warning messages that after 31 December it will no longer support some of the apps. What should I do? Can anyone suggest a phone that will be a good replacement for the Lumia 1020?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have been using Lumia 1020 ever since it was launched. It has given me very good service and I still use it. But now I have started getting warning messages that after 31 December it will no longer support some of the apps. What should I do? Can anyone suggest a phone that will be a good replacement for the Lumia 1020?

Sadly, there isn't one. You can try the 950 but that's the closest you can probably get.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
True story here...

I hated the Iphone when it came out. The keyboard was all upper case, no back button and ugly UI. (still an ugly UI and no back button)

I also didn't like the Windows CE based devices like the Ipaq and HTC offering. I had a BlackBerry. (Actually it was a blueberry but was called a BlackBerry.)

Eventually, Android came out and I snapped up an HTC 3g phone running Eclair. I became an Android ****** and loved it except for the constant notifications and the also-crappy UI.

Eventually I went full on Windows Phone with 8 and 10. Still love 10 and am sad to see it go. Yesterday I pulled out my work Samsung Galaxy S6 and used it for a day instead of my 950xl.

Ewww!

I'll keep using my 950xl thank you. I like my Iphone 7 but will still use the 950xl for.work.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
True story here...

I hated the Iphone when it came out. The keyboard was all upper case, no back button and ugly UI. (still an ugly UI and no back button)

I also didn't like the Windows CE based devices like the Ipaq and HTC offering. I had a BlackBerry. (Actually it was a blueberry but was called a BlackBerry.)

Eventually, Android came out and I snapped up an HTC 3g phone running Eclair. I became an Android ****** and loved it except for the constant notifications and the also-crappy UI.

Eventually I went full on Windows Phone with 8 and 10. Still love 10 and am sad to see it go. Yesterday I pulled out my work Samsung Galaxy S6 and used it for a day instead of my 950xl.

Ewww!

I'll keep using my 950xl thank you. I like my Iphone 7 but will still use the 950xl for.work.

I keep pulling out my 950 just to give it a run. Would really like to use it more often yet there's too many compromises (limits on what we can do/achieve), and it never fails to fall flat on it's face within short order due many factors but mainly on the performance/inconsistency fronts.

So essentially we rely on our Droids 99.9% of the time, which I don't mind using at all actually. But sure would be nice if WP/WM became "that" phone. Sadly, and IMHO, it's never going to happen.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
So essentially we rely on our Droids 99.9% of the time, which I don't mind using at all actually. But sure would be nice if WP/WM became "that" phone. Sadly, and IMHO, it's never going to happen.
Probably not.

It is cool, however, I'm typing this on my phone with a 24" monitor using a full keyboard.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Probably not.

It is cool, however, I'm typing this on my phone with a 24" monitor using a full keyboard.

Sent from mTalk
And you can still answer calls if they come in. Our brothers and sisters with Samsung S8s on DeX don't enjoy this luxury. I'm doing the same with my Primo kicking back on my couch.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Probably not.

Sent from mTalk

Cool, I guess, but I don't see it as something most people would want to do. For instance, I'm on my iPad Pro right now and I can take it with me outside, etc. The only way I see continuum catching on is if monitors were available for use everywhere like airports, hotels, etc. Maybe some day?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't have a SIM in the X3. And, no, Continuum isn't ready for prime time. For example, I cant directly connect to my network printer, I only have one window open at a time, and I can get more done with a $500 cheap laptop. But, it is cool.

And my dog loves when I sit and work next to her.

dc28f455baec3046512dad469bfda6db.jpg

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a SIM in the X3. And, no, Continuum isn't ready for prime time. For example, I cant directly connect to my network printer, I only have one window open at a time, and I can get more done with a $500 cheap laptop. But, it is cool.

And my dog loves when I sit and work next to her.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170902/dc28f455baec3046512dad469bfda6db.jpg

Well, the dog thing is the best part about it. Cute!

OK, so it's not your primary phone, you've found another use for it. It's too bad it hasn't taken off. Would have been nice.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Cool, I guess, but I don't see it as something most people would want to do. For instance, I'm on my iPad Pro right now and I can take it with me outside, etc. The only way I see continuum catching on is if monitors were available for use everywhere like airports, hotels, etc. Maybe some day?
It ain't gonna catch on no place unless there are more Windows phones out there capable of running Continuum. By my count it's the 950 series, Idol 4S, Acer Primo and HP x3. Not exactly a murderer's row of high-selling devices.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It ain't gonna catch on no place unless there are more Windows phones out there capable of running Continuum. By my count it's the 950 series, Idol 4S, Acer Primo and HP x3. Not exactly a murderer's row of high-selling devices.

Yup, and no ones going to make any new devices with it if it doesn't catch on. Chicken and egg.
I was reading an article yesterday where Apple is making a big push in AR with iOS 11. They'll start with phones and them move into accessories like glasses. It will probably work because they have a huge phone footprint and people will try it and use it. Then they'll develop stage 2.

Moral of the story: if you have a big following you can bring out something new successfully. If you don't you end up with a dud.

pierre laroche

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
Yup, and no ones going to make any new devices with it if it doesn't catch on. Chicken and egg.
I was reading an article yesterday where Apple is making a big push in AR with iOS 11. They'll start with phones and them move into accessories like glasses. It will probably work because they have a huge phone footprint and people will try it and use it. Then they'll develop stage 2.

Moral of the story: if you have a big following you can bring out something new successfully. If you don't you end up with a dud.
This works the other way around as well. MSFT still has a majority presence on the desktop/latop, hence could work to make inroad in the area where it is lagging now. Either case requires dedication, stubborness, and a consistant vision, which infortunately does not seem to exits on the MSFT side. Also needed is the strong desire to ultimately beat/crush the competition.

I just do not think that the current MSFT leadership utopian view, where all is good when we all play along, is going to work in the long run. But then again, they could be right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss