iOS. My move experience

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So I've been a long time Windows phone user. A tech guy who promoted the platform and a developer who was involved in some pretty comprehensive Windows mobile app development. This week was the week that I switched my personal phone away from Windows and I thought I'd share some ramblings from my experience. I know others did this a long time ago, others still never want to do this. For me, this was my moving week.

1) Where did I go?

Ultimately I went to Apple. Android was close to receiving me but in the end I went the iOS way primarily due to two things: security and less Google. There is no doubt that iOS is updated more regularly and less malware makes it into the store apps. Even the authorities struggle to break into iOS devices and I like my personal info hard to steal. When I say less Google, that really means the phone forces less Apple on you than Google does on Android. On iOS it is trivial to turn off iCloud and then use the alternative apps like OneDrive and Outlook to manage your data. Almost every Apple related option of things like GPS tracking can be turned off. On Android I found it harder to do this and wasn't completely sure it was done. And then there is the element of trust... Apple tries to do things on the phone rather than in the cloud whereas Google provides arguably superior services but by crunching a lot of people's data out of their control. But for me, the simple fact that iOS devices get regular updates for years is a big factor.

2) How was it from a Microsoft Services perspective?

My simple answer is, this is how the Microsoft mobile experience should be. That may sound nuts as a Microsoft proponent coming from Windows, but the truth is that Windows has quite serious issues with Microsoft services. E.g. I find that Skype works in a clunky way on Windows Mobile... it can take 20 seconds to start and connect when taking a call. (On the desktop it rings for 10 seconds after you start talking in a call) Teams doesn't even support calling on mobile. On iOS, these are perfect and just work. An amazingly slick experience and a real example just how unrefined these apps are on Windows Mobile.

Two Factor authentication is another area that works very well. When you access Microsoft services (after installing the Authenticator app) the apps prompt for your fingerprint on first login and this all feels better than on Windows Mobile. I always had to type the texted number in which was all a bit manual.

Other apps run about the same: Mail (Outlook) is similar quality. OneDrive about the same. SharePoint, ToDo, OneNote, Office Lens. Groove.

3) What was bad from a Windows perspective?

Cortana doesn't fully replace Siri. You cannot reassign the home button. However you can add a Widget and use her for reminders etc. Also she cannot sync text messages to the desktop (something that rarely worked for me on WM anyway). Both are OS restrictions that I hope get relaxed in OS upgrades. Of course they may never be.

Outlook has a manual contact pull into the phone but no editing. Editing is coming in an update soon. You can optionally add the accounts in the OS and get more flexibility, but I went the Outlook app way for now.

News feels kind of rough on iOS. The WM version renders better and has some better personalization.

4) What else was good?

There are more apps. What was surprising to me is that they aren't massively better than the ones we have. Yes, there are a lot more. Yes they are more refined, but I had kind of got used to using the browser on Windows Mobile for a lot of things. Take Windows Central. The app reviews in the Apple store were so bad I didn't bother to install it. Reviewers said using the website was best which is kind of the best way on Windows Mobile too... the app here hangs often on loading, uses a lot of memory and forum support is not amazing. Sounds like websites are the future. Similarly my bank app while more fully featured on iOS, still just shows the balances, transactions and has a deposit. But I could load the Delta app which had been retired from Windows Mobile so it's good to get a few apps like that back. More apps that are current and maintained is good, but less of an improvement than I was expecting.

Battery life appears better. That could just be my phone battery being new vs 2 years old.

Wi-Fi calling. Super important for me and a driving factor in changing. Coverage in my home has got worse due to AT&T tower changes. I can now use Wi-Fi calling and that works great. I don't believe this is possible on any new Windows phone these days. Of course this is great for when travelling abroad too.

5) What do I miss?

Tiles a little. Most app updates come via notifications and you do feel a little spammed at first. Suggest restricting those a lot.

Double tap for sure. Although the phones wakes when you lift it which kind of balances that.

Consistent back button. Apps are a mix. Some swipe the screen, some have the top button. It's ok but I prefer a fixed button.

Voice recording. Liked using this when on calls to customer service.

Camera interface. The iOS one is fast and fluid but missing extended options. I think apps may help here a little.

My wife who also moved at the same time is a little less endeared to iOS. She almost moved to Android but decided to do the same move to iOS. I think some of her frustration are the time it takes to re-learn where things now are and re-do some setup. E.g. linking contact info from many accounts. Her phone also shows a bunch of unread Gmail emails when she believes they are read. So there are a few app bugs.

6) Summary

Overall I like the experience. For the most part it's a better Microsoft experience than on Windows Mobile, which is a bit sad for Microsoft. But it provides us with a good option.. You can do most of what you are used to, in a slightly different way on iOS. And gain more app choices too. I know from playing with Android that it is very comparable, and as it provides more customizations, people might be happier there. I'm just not convinced Google has good security. Phones get maybe a couple of upgrades before then being unsupported. When that is fixed, maybe I'll try it more. Or perhaps Microsoft will come back to the mobile market with some options at which time I'll evaluate things. But in the meantime sticking with Microsoft services on any mobile platform provides independence and choice. And from what we can see, is the current Microsoft mobile vision.

It's refreshing to get a new phone. The best Microsoft services experience isn't where you think it would be!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Well stated. Another issue on Iphone is that you can't backup the device to OneDrive but have to use the less secure Icloud. Also pics from OneDrive aren't automatically shown in the photos app. Oh and you can use the awesome Microsoft keyboard (which I am now) on passwords.

For example, my beautiful young bride was in her classroom yesterday setting up for school to start next week. She texted me an issue with her printer. While cool that I can reply from the lock screen, it brought up the Iphone keyboard not the Microsoft one.

340288c73a39734b8dd69ebf7fa04fc8.jpg

Last edited:

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
iOS could easily beat Android if it just implemented a few of the customization Android has. Thanks for the post, very interesting. I'm at the point I just want a phone that works and doesn't over heat and doesn't slow down or lag. IPhone seems to be the only phone that does these the best.

dw886

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting - a good write-up that may come in handy some day.

I love WM Camera Roll - is there a way to default the camera on iOS or Android to automatically back up photos to OneDrive, and specifically choose a folder so they go where my years of WM photos are, or are you forced to adopt iCloud?

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I find these, "Check out our forum" posts highly annoying. I either want the post to automatically direct me to the forum or allow comments on the page so I don't have to click, get some review of the forum post, then click again to "Chime In." It's counter productive. Am I the only one?

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I believe Microsoft discontinued the keyboard for iPhone recently. I moved to iPhone a while back ... loved the Windows Phone but the app gap became too much of a day to day issue for me. My phone is used for work I do ... and when the apps will never reach the platform I had no choice but to move. There are some good news apps that will help improve that experience. Even with the latest 7+, my Lumia Icon camera still can take better pictures, and faster. I miss that. I had to turn off auto substitution. I think Apple likes to prank us with inappropriate alternative words to the ones we enter. Since all of my extended family use iPhones, our messages are usually carried by iMessage ... and those don't show up on other phones. I do miss the ability to link messages to my main computer. If you have an ipad or MacBook, that feature works on them without any difficulty. However, my desktop in a Win 10 PC. Verizon does have an app for Win 10 that will allow you to monitor and respond to regular messages, but not iMessages. They just don't show up. I love the ability to organize the start screen on Win Phone, the transparent buttons, and live tiles. Perhaps that is what I missed most when moving. Organizing the start screen takes more organization on the iPhone. The way that works best for me is to have the most important buttons on the first screen, and then organized folders ( by category ) on the following page(s). The items I use most are always up front ( like on a Win Phone ).

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
So I've been a long time Windows phone user. A tech guy who promoted the platform and a developer who was involved in some pretty comprehensive Windows mobile app development. This week was the week that I switched my personal phone away from Windows and I thought I'd share some ramblings from my experience. I know others did this a long time ago, others still never want to do this. For me, this was my moving week.

I am tracking WP since its birth. I analysed WP8 capabilities while buying new phone. It did not satisfied. So did not bought WP and waited for platform to mature. But it did not to satisfactory extent. My needs were quite a lot. So felt I need Windows of Mobile. I mean the platform I can feedle. The platform that will not be closed and tight but open. Windows is really like this for PC when it comes to apps. Same is the case for Android. I guess iOS is not that flexible. You should check out my needs and see if these things are possible on iOS. But I guess something must be undoable on iOS. I created post listing those needs here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/g...ndows-phone-satisfy-my-needs.html#post3515833

Check out to come up with conclusion about how mature the platform should be...I wish I will hold Surface Phone running full fledged Windows with CShell...what happenned to that CShell guys? Its out of news... :straight:

Also I really feel phones should be cheap now that Redmi phones comes with all good specs for all things that you will ever do on phone, of course, unless you run full Windows. But, then I feel those 4GB Redmi phone equivalents can still take on Windows.

rjmlive

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly how I feel about the IOS proposal. Less forcing of Apple or Google products on you. I only have an ipad mini at the moment, but although the interface is terribly dated, the pure day to day functionality of IOS is what would make the experience the best for me. I also feel the more robust Apple Pay and generally first class app options, however rare I need them, are nice to rely on for once. Never having to wonder if Windows will ever get an app.

I like Android for better camera hardware, back buttons, customizations to more approach the visual style I really like about Windows.

Considering how phones have essentially become disposable $1000 devices, in 2-3 years any platform could produce a product that could sway my preference anyway. I am still working with my 950 but it's showing annoying camera crashing issues which really break my experience. I am waiting for the iPhone 8 announcement and I'm in no hurry, but I feel that may be my next phone in another year perhaps.

omagic82

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I put aside my disgust for all things Apple and I switched from Windows Phone to the iPhone 7 Plus almost a year ago. It's one of he best decisions that I made. Microsoft services are just better on iOS since that's where their focus is anyway. I miss some small things but having a phone that doesn't hang/freeze, having an app store that isn't filled with junk and un-updated apps and not having to feel like an ***** for having a phone that no one knows or understands was well worth the few niceties from WP that I miss. If you are on the fence about leaving WP it's a no-brainer. Regardless of what Jason Ward and others wish, Microsoft has no interest in their own platform any longer and it shows, even if they don't have the decency to come out and say it.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep...I left about 9 mos. ago. I still have a couple WM10 devices around...but honestly...life is so much easier on my iPhone. I chose iOS for the security and guaranteed updates.

My thoughts and experiences are very similar to the OP's.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, I just cannot bring myself to switch to iOS or Android yet. I used to have an iPad at work, and really disliked how everything worked. I could probably get used to it, but just not ready yet. And my spouse has a Galaxy S7 - I hate that phone. You can never find the right place to go to change a setting, and the screen seems way too sensitive at times.

And there are too many useless apps on both of those platforms. At least Microsoft has done a good job of weeding out the spam apps from the Windows store.

For the time being, I'm holding out with my Lumia 950. It currently does everything I need it to do, and it does it well. Hopefully we might see some new surface mobile device in a year, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

Yiannis_P

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't change Microsoft for a company that constantly denies successful software and hardware to sell their expensive stuff. I prefer to keep my existing Microsoft phone which after 2 years works perfectly and is better and flawless than ever with the latest version of W10M.

Keep in mind it's a low end device (L640) with just 1Gb of memory. An android or iPhone would be laggy as hell by now *if* they allowed their new OS version to be installed on it.

Sure. After one year they're gonna stop supporting it which I found totally fair. But I'm so happy with my current phone I can't wait to buy the next one with full Windows on ARM. Of course I respect people that have issues with cortana or that special app that doesn't exist in store but everyone has his or her personal needs from a phone right?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well stated. Another issue on Iphone is that you can't backup the device to OneDrive but have to use the less secure Icloud.
You also have the option to use iTunes to back up your device, which is what I do. Using iCloud is not required.

I believe Microsoft discontinued the keyboard for iPhone recently.

I believe that the Microsoft Hub keyboard is still available, as Word Flow is the one you was talking about. SwiftKey isn't worth the switch for me on iOS.

ShaunKL

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I miss WP 8.1, W10M was never really super awesome except for a few notification conveniences. On iOS I have an app and game ecosystem (and the hardware to match, W10 was really hard on my lumia 640 and never played games well.), clearing notifications I iOS is annoying, I don't understand the minuscule x to close buttons. It's nice to be on a rock solid OS again since W10M was a messy experience, though it is difficult to sync and share photos and such when it was so easy in WP.

But oh my gosh do I miss the Windows 8-era tablet interface. That UX was so quick and intuitive and was absolutely screwed over by the W10 UX. iOS has a nice enough tablet interface, but whole-hand gestures feel clunky compared to Windows 8's single-finger gestures.

tukur yakubu

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I currently use a L960xl.I'm satisfied.It does all I needed and I'm a tech guy on the latest insider build.Waiting for another mobile device from Microsoft which may or may not come.
The OS is much more smoother now.Thanks for the offer to switch anyway.

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I have pretty much had it with Windows Phone. Having been an iPad user since Day 1, I know the IOS layout. It will be nice to finally have apps that I use. TiVo, Nest, WeMo, IFTTT only to name a few. And our car has Apple CarPlay and Android Play. But no Windows Phone Play (because it does not exist). If the iPhone 8 is everything they say it is especially with wireless charging and face recognition, then that is a plus. But I have had several Windows Phones over the years. 920, 1020, 635, 640, and now my 650. A good phone, but the app gap is definitely one reason I'm making the switch. the main reason is Microsoft's lackadaisical approach to the platform. Once I heard that HP might be leaning towards releasing an Android X3, that was the tipping point. And I sure as heck do not or will not go to to Android. I would like to say to Microsoft that it has been fun, but it hasn't. It has been one annoying ride.

Last edited:

vzzbuckz

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
How is your pocket feeling? Two phones? This is the reason I switched from Apple to Windows Mobile- hardware is much cheaper but better in some respects (950XL).

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Well my wife made the jump last week from her Lumia 950 to an iPhone 7 Plus. She was really holding out but when certain apps she needs work wise aren't available or the web versions don't work right, she couldn't handle it. She has an iPhone 6S for work but can't add apps. The jump happened because we recently signed up to be Postmates delivery drivers and needed a compatible phone. My daughter and I still have our Lumia 950's, but I do see the time to go back to iOS coming sooner than later. I have no problem with the 950 neither does my daughter. I'm not worried about the app gap. My daughter isn't either cause she has an iPad already to handle her iOS needs outside of a phone. When I saw the news that HP was thinking about stepping towards Android for it's next phone approach, I knew more than ever Windows Phone/Mobile is really dead. Plus with the new update coming and we will still be stuck on feature 2 which means no more major updates. I will probably be posting my wifes old 950 along with an 830 and a 640XL on here soon for sale in case anyone is interested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa