The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-01-2017 12:50 PM
239 ... 56789 ...
tools
    There needs to be another option besides ios and Android. My old windows phone was great, missing apps is the only reason I switched. I'd get another windows phone if the app selection was improved and a iphoneX comparable device was created.
    IPhone X is just catching up to last years phones. The only "new" things it does is the animoji, um Snapchat with animal emojis and, maybe AR; which is capable on current iPhones
    09-15-2017 12:18 PM
    I don't think Windows phone users should buy iPhones; they should get Androids.
    garisa and eugarps like this.
    09-17-2017 09:15 AM
    i had never really considered the switch to iOS until the iPhone X was announced. I have been happily using my Moto Z since I moved away from my 950XL. I'll hop back to MS camp once they show they care about their phones again.
    my only issues with the X are the price point and lack of fingerprint sensor. people don't really seem to grasp that the face ID is not just an iris scanner or even facial recognition like Samsung has. Its more similar to a phone sized Kinect, which is definitely a first on phones and far more impressive, if it actually worked 100% of the time. still far less effective than a fingerprint.
    secondly, the price, despite the great tech that's gone into it (true AR, Impressive cameras) I still couldn't justify spending $1500 CAD on a phone.
    Another thing I'd like to point out is though it's not new on a phone, AR (true AR) has not yet been implemented in a mainstream phone. Don't confuse putting objects in your photos as what the new AR tech that the X has. it relies on actual depth sensing the environment so objects can now be placed on surfaces or even under them in real time. Only Android phones that supported Tango can currently do this. there's only like three in existence and you probably haven't heard of them. so for apple to bring real AR to the masses is actually a big deal, because if done right it can be a ton of fun.
    the edge to edge screen is nothing new. the Xiaomi Mi Mix came out over a year ago and it was a fantastic phone with no bezel.
    wireless charging is really the only old tech that was touting as being exciting with this launch. all the rest are fairly new or exclusive to the iPhone X.
    so in the end, I am seriously considering it.
    09-18-2017 01:56 AM
    After playing with the Essential phone in a local best Buy a couple weeks ago for like 10minutes I can say its very small compared to iPhone X indention at the top of screen was annoying when watching videos. Perhaps Apple could have put a little more bezel up top to make it more consistent then they could have taken all the space they needed for the Kinect cameras. Will FaceID work who knows it is much more cumbersome than using your finger to unlock (which can be done in a single motion). Do I need talking animated emojis? hell no..
    09-18-2017 09:26 AM
    I wonder how people say 500$ for the most advanced gaming console (One X) is a lot but everyone goes crazy when a 1000$ iPhone with a fancy oled plus more of the same is announced.
    You don't seem to read the internet everyone is saying both are expensive... And people are going crazy for both as well. Fans like what they like and they'll pay anything for it. People who aren't super fans will wait till it drops in price.
    09-18-2017 11:24 AM
    It bothers me that people are prepared to pay this amount of money for a phone. There's no way it costs anywhere near this much to make and it's basically brazen profiteering from Apple and as usual all the 'Aspirationals' will put themselves in even more hock to get one. The problem is this has the effect of pushing up the price for all flagships. If we just sat back and said no to these prices they would soon drop.
    RumoredNow and fatclue_98 like this.
    09-19-2017 01:08 PM
    I don't have a problem with them charging that much, or any other phone manufacturer. I look at it as the piece of technology that most people use the most, and most people will update every two years. Even then the phone isn't worthless at that point, and can be sold or traded in to recover some of the cost (of course the same goes if you upgrade after one year). So if you look at it as a per day cost, it is less than $1 a day, and to me a phone is worth that.

I'm not buying an X or even an 8, but I can't fault them for charging what they do. They keep offering products that people want so they can set their price to anything and people will buy it.
    09-19-2017 02:43 PM
    No. Even my daughter who likes apple, doesn't like the X.
    09-19-2017 02:54 PM
    Dear Apple,

I've been with you ever since you hyped out the original iPhone but now it's time to say good bye. I upgraded from iPhone 5S to SE and this is where it ends. Other phones have out innovated you for years while you claim every year to be rolling out the best ever. That's simply not true. I could upgrade by buying a Nokia 930! I have invested in your apps. Some work, some don't. As for cameras Nokia blew you away with their 1020 and that phone hasn't been bested yet, in my opinion. And an $1,100 phone? I can buy a Surface Pro for that. That's nuts!

Dear Microsoft, if you get off your bums and give the world a Surface Phone with a Lumia 1020 Zeiss camera, I for one will jump off the Apple pirate ship Billy won't be bobbing for Apples the fall.

YMMV. Feel free to disagree.

Bill
    raycpl, fatclue_98, Elky64 and 1 others like this.
    09-19-2017 02:55 PM
    Honestly it's just too expensive and i will NEVER abandon WP bc of that lumia camera interface!!! Until of course Nokia implements it in their phones, then maybe I'll get a Nokia. That was one of the real advantages the platform has to this day. But the Iphone x's face scanning technology is creepy and not good for my security; they now have my face, the most unique thing about you, and who knows how that could be used against you?
    09-19-2017 04:58 PM
    the blackberry keyone is a SNATCH if you're after a modern smartphone with a keyboard! The reviews are mostly positive and they're selling like hot buns!
    09-19-2017 05:12 PM
    Not a chance. My lumia 950 Xl mic stopped working a couple of months ago and finally I caved in and got a note 8, still very expensive but far more usefull than the iPhone x (and far better looking as well)
    09-19-2017 05:21 PM
    So, the worst kept secret is official and Apple just announced the iPhone X (pronounced 10 because of course.) Sure, that display is incredibly impressive, but is the rest of the phone really that revolutionary?

Face ID looks a lot like Windows Hello doesn't it? How about that wireless charging your old Lumia 920 didn't have?!

Jesting aside there are some impressive looking features on it, but is it really the benchmark for the next 10 years as Apple claims?

And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one? Is it the one you've been waiting for?!
    I'd like to start by saying I switched from my Lumia Icon to iPhone 6S Plus in 2016.

The OLED display is interesting, but that notch at the top throws me for a loop. I don't think I'd ever enjoy getting used to it.

Face ID is also not my favorite; I like Windows Hello because it just logs you in, whereas Face ID unlocks the phone and I still need to perform gestures to get in. Right now, I just rest my finger on my iPhone's home button, raise-to-wake, and it immediately logs in.

To me, the winning point of this phone would be the changes to the camera hardware/software integration. They look impressive and would be fun to use. But as I've learned with my iPhone now, I get bored. I do enjoy having my apps, but the OS is not creative or beautiful to me.

$1,000+ for the iPhone X is not something I spend to "settle for less." My iPhone 6s Plus is still doing its job, between the good camera and the speed and app availability.

My question is: Is anyone impressed with the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2? Its specs are less than the iPhone X, but it looks gorgeous to me, and I'd love to try a Windows 10 Launcher on it to make it feel like my old phone by using Launcher 8 WP Style.

Edit: Also, I'd be able to make Cortana my main assistant, no? I miss using Cortana.
    Last edited by kevin sinsimer; 09-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    09-19-2017 05:48 PM
    The A11 CPU is an ARM based 64 bit processor.

Not too far removed from what every other phone has.....
    09-20-2017 02:19 AM
    Anyone who pays that amount for a phone really need to look at their life, but then I think paying over £200 is too much.
    eugarps likes this.
    09-20-2017 02:29 AM
    Attachment 137387

So, the worst kept secret is official and Apple just announced the iPhone X (pronounced 10 because of course.) Sure, that display is incredibly impressive, but is the rest of the phone really that revolutionary?

Face ID looks a lot like Windows Hello doesn't it? How about that wireless charging your old Lumia 920 didn't have?!

Jesting aside there are some impressive looking features on it, but is it really the benchmark for the next 10 years as Apple claims?

And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one? Is it the one you've been waiting for?!
    Definitely no... My HP Elite X3 does everything the IPhone X does with the added benefit of being dual sim or microSD capable. Sure, not all the apps are available, but I don't use Snapchat and then all the rest of what I need, banking ebay PayPal, are available via web pages. Most apps these days are glorified web page imports... And games? No time for them. Besides, Candy Crush is fine.
    faisalbaba and eugarps like this.
    09-20-2017 06:38 AM
    I think I'll shop for a new, old stock Lumia 1020. At least I'd have a really good camera for travel..
    09-20-2017 07:46 PM
    I think I'll shop for a new, old stock Lumia 1020. At least I'd have a really good camera for travel..
    I did just that. You might like this thread... https://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...-eight3oh.html

Check out the later posts where I kit my 1020 out with a BeastGrip and accessories. In one month's time myself, my wife and my 1020 are going to spend 2 weeks in Portugal seeing the sights.
    fatclue_98 and eugarps like this.
    09-21-2017 07:09 AM
    I did just that. You might like this thread... https://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...-eight3oh.html

Check out the later posts where I kit my 1020 out with a BeastGrip and accessories. In one month's time myself, my wife and my 1020 are going to spend 2 weeks in Portugal seeing the sights.
    Nice! Now I'm even more encouraged! Did you update to 10 or just leave it at 8.1?

Thanks so much for the link!

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by eugarps; 09-21-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    09-21-2017 10:49 AM
    I left it on 8.1 for the faster process times and subjectively more pleasing algorithms.
    09-21-2017 02:34 PM
    RumoredNow,

I travel a good bit and would switch between my iPhone and as my daily driver. In truth, I’m hoping one "Surface Phone" rendering I’ve seem with a 1020 like camera bump come to pass. I’m shopping for a good, used Surface Pro 4 to replace my iPad and MacBook for Travel as well.

Given I’d be using it for phone and data, would I still be better off with WindowsPhone 8 or 8.1 vs. 10?

I already know the wonders of the 1020's camera.

Thanks,

bill
    Last edited by eugarps; 09-21-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    09-21-2017 03:04 PM
    Attachment 137387

Surprisingly no, it doesn't.

Apple usually isn't the first (or second or third) to add the latest and greatest features but they make them run and look great when they finally decide to use them. The iPhone X has no real appeal to me, even at a premium price tag of $999, lol.

When the time comes, I'll give the iPhone 8 Plus a try (As I normally do with newer devices, whether Android or IOS) but I'm completely fine with the phone(s) I have now.
    09-21-2017 04:08 PM
    RumoredNow,

I travel a good bit and would switch between my iPhone and as my daily driver. In truth, I’m hoping one "Surface Phone" rendering I’ve seem with a 1020 like camera bump come to pass. I’m shopping for a good, used Surface Pro 4 to replace my iPad and MacBook for Travel as well.

Given I’d be using it for phone and data, would I still be better off with WindowsPhone 8 or 8.1 vs. 10?

I already know the wonders of the 1020's camera.

Thanks,

bill
    IF the 1020 will have to double as phone while traveling I'm not sure I'd do it. The Windows 10 experience on the older SoC might not make the experience as trouble free as you might want away from home and the support for 8.1 is now fading fast.

You should probably start a new thread in the 1020 forum and seek a wider audience for advice on this... My gut feeling is that a better device would be a Lumia 950 or 950 XL to work smoothly as a phone and still take great pics "out of pocket" or even a 1520 if you want to go "vintage."
    09-21-2017 09:56 PM
    RumoredNow,

I'd gladly buy a 950 but Microsoft has dropped it from their website. Either that means the Surface Phone could be real or Microsoft is completely dropping hand held devices. Sad indeed.

Best,

Bill
    09-22-2017 12:26 AM
    I would never give into the new iPhone x. I'm still holding on to my L950. If I had to drop the platform, I would lean towards android and pick up a Nokia 8.
    eugarps likes this.
    09-22-2017 12:51 AM
239 ... 56789 ...