Soo... About those Android Launchers

tofferne

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I had and still have Windows phone, and 10 is amazing. We keep 4 devices going, all 950 XL, and have a box of old devices, 920, 930, 640 and 650.
We have 3 Android, Huawei 9, Huawei 6P Nexus, and one Samsung 7 Edge.
First of all, I'm not happy about Android, a lot of irritating things. Apps, I dont use a lot, do not need them, but sometimes nice to have the possibility.
About phones, Samsung 7 Edge is great, quick and the monitor is amazing nice and clear, but I hate edge. Huawei 6 P Neus is my favourite, but I miss wireless charging. And the Huawei 9, okay, but the early beginning of great Huawei phones.

All the time I love, relax and enjoy my 950 Xl's and Windows, absolutely the best OS, the size is also the best.
Now I'm waiting to catch the new small Surface devices, 6 inch devices who can make phone calls, or simular from other OEMs.

And about the question, Microsoft Launcher, it's far away to good, I feel it's nothing and a stupid old time phone when I install it.
I install it many times and uninstall it again after few weeks.
Please give me Windows 10 and Android apps. If not Android with all Microsoft apps, but not the terrible launcher. Apple, no thanks, no dictator company for me.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I use Nexus and have had no desire to use any 3rd party launchers till recently, I tried the MSLauncher. I've manage to port my habit to the new one and there's one killer feature... it allows you to backup & restore your settings & layouts.
I wish MS can do the same with their start screen on win10.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The Microsoft Launcher was definitely better than the Samsung TouchWiz launcher that came on my S8. If you still want an Android like experience, then it is a solid choice.

I missed the Windows Phone interface so I ditched Microsoft Launcher. First I went with Square Home 2 which is pretty good. I didn't care for the way it handled the app list and the tile sizing was a pain. I am now using Launcher 10 which is pretty darn close to an authentic Windows Phone experience. It even has some Live Tile support and I hope more will follow. IMHO, MS should buy and develop Launcher 10 for a real Windows on Android experience.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope Microsoft moves beyond launchers and make an actual android phone

Doubt MS would have any success there when other long time makers in the Android arena aren't seeing tremendous upticks in new phone sales.
At least Microsoft thought partnering with Samsung would be a good way to showcase MS apps and services.
People actually buy Samsung Android phones.

Ira Seigel

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I like the Microsoft Launcher, but it's missing some important features. For example, the Squarehome2 launcher shows you in a flashing tile that you have a SMS message, and the number of unread SMS messages. The Microsoft Launcher has a static tile that doesn't show anything. Also, the Squarehome2 launcher provides a much more "Windows Phone-like" experience. And the developer seems to be issuing updates every few days. And he was very responsive to my own problem in version 1.4.1 (I think he's now at 1.4.5)

On a subject other than launchers: I think I'm using the Microsoft Contacts for all my contacts, but I'm not sure there's a way to tell. But my question is, is there a way to go to a particular point in the alphabet to search for a name, like you can in Windows and WindowsPhone? Or do you manually have to scroll through screen upon screen to get to what you want?

emmanuel moyana

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
There is not much to be achieved from launchers as compared to making a phone with their own android skin. The launcher field is crowded already with mostly smaller players.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I prefer to use the default launcher of my Sony XA1. I then customize the main screen to do what I want and remove everything else. It gives me the feel of Windows 10 Mobile without all the extra crap another launcher adds to my phone.

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I did use Microsoft Launcher for most of a year, but use SquareHome2 now. I do have one app that doesn't (Line) that doesn't show notification badges. Otherwise, quite liking this launcher, including "cubes."

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Tried the Microsoft Launcher but wasn't a big fan of it.

Using Launcher 10 now and it does a pretty good job of emulating. W10M on a modern android phone. I tried squarehome but it wasn't as polished a product and the setup was painful compared to Launcher 10.

purplepoppy

Feb 12, 2018
Visit site
Alphabetical Search

How do I get to the alphabetical list of my apps on Microsoft Launcher? I have done it accidentally a couple of times and so I don't know how I accessed it. This is the main reason I use a launcher.

Some launchers will work better than others as far as being compatible with different phones. It's very easy to test. Just download them from G play and give them a go. I personally wouldn't try getting a launcher to mimic live tiles. They typically all have flaws as far as getting live info. I personally really like the Microsoft launcher. You can set it up to have the apps in a vertical format like Win phone and it sets the apps up to be able to search alphabetically which I really like. I personally suggest to try them all and find one you like. It's very easy to uninstall them so try as many as you wish until you find the one you want.

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody been successful in getting Launcher 10 or SquareHome to work on a P20 Pro without it crashing?

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I didn't see Lucid Launcher mentioned. Not that I have tried it myself more than 1 minute, but it has vertical home pages and app list slides from side (though another side than WP/WM).
If MS Launcher continues to crash every now and then, I might give it (and maybe Evie) a chance ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99