The Galaxy S9 has a launch date, will it be the phone you jump to?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Not intereseted in Android at all right now. Plus, it will basically be the same thing as last year with minor asthetic improvements and a new chipset. But folks will jump on the Galaxy band wagon as usual to have it just to have it I suppose. I cannot jump to conclusions though since I would do the same if a new hot Windows mobile device came out...But why waste money though when the S8/+ will be cheaper and a perfectly viable device still?
So in the past two weeks I've been trialling several android phones. Had the Nokia 8, another S8+ and a OnePlus 5t. I really liked the S8+ always did. And I almost held onto the OP 5T...
Anyway, hate on me later I guess ...I've found that minus the double tap to wake I can easily live more comfortably using a Samsung device and decided to pick up an S9+ today. Got the blue unlocked one.

I'm not going to kid myself and honestly I love and still love tinkering around on my Lumias, but without support for stuff I'm starting to use through my work place, I think I'm nearing the end of using my 950 xl. Lately I can't even use maps and location services without it chewing through 30% of my battery. I thought only legacy silverlight apps did stuff like that. Of course there are many other aspects that will always be buggy now and even later, especially as the Support cycle end nears. I think the S9+ camera might just be what many 950 XL camera lovers are looking for though.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Nope. I jumped to the S8, and now I've vowed to never buy another Samsung phone.

The hardware is amazing, but all the crap they pile onto Android ruins it. No launcher can mask it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I jumped to the S8, and now I've vowed to never buy another Samsung phone.

I've used them all (a lot of them anyway). I wouldn't buy anything other than Samsung, the way things stand now anyway.

Different streaks for different freaks I guess! :confused:

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I've used them all (a lot of them anyway). I wouldn't buy anything other than Samsung, the way things stand now anyway.

Different streaks for different freaks I guess! :confused:

Software interface and experience is often personal preference, but no doubt the Samsung's hardware is usually really good.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Software interface and experience is often personal preference, but no doubt the Samsung's hardware is usually really good.

True, it is personal preference more than anything.

I see so many posts here talking about "stock Android". That is uninformed. Android itself is actually quite basic. No phone manufacturer uses just stock Android. Motorola doesn't, Nokia doesn't, not even Google in Nexus and now Pixel devices. A phone with only stock Android wouldn't even be usable.

Android is designed to be used in many different applications, and in different ways even in the same applications. This is why phones from different manufacturers differ; they each put their own trademarks on it. Like it or hate it, that is why Android is so popular.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, there's no 'true' stock Android, but what you see on the Pixel and the Essential PH-1 is a stark difference from what you see on Samsung phones, and performance definitely suffers the junk is piled on top of the OS.

I'm still on the fence, but the bloat, fragmentation and update woes is about to push me to the iPhone.

DZimbrich

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I am looking for a support group. I thought I'd start here. I just got a Samsung S9+ last week. I moved my T-Mobile SIM (secondary phone line) from my Lumia 950XL to the S9+. My primary AT&T SIM (work line) is still in the 950XL. It is my "security blanket" at this point. I can't get myself to commit 100% to an Android phone yet. The S9+ is really a downgrade at this point already since my 950XL gives me dual SIM AND a microSD slot, whereas the S9+ makes me choose between dual SIM OR extra memory! W10M is still (IMHO) the best phone OS on the planet! It leads in all categories except one: APPS! So was a complete addict: I have a Surface Pro 3; I have a Lumia 950XL (and 920 and Samsung Windows Phone 7 and Wm6.5 and WM6, before that...you get the picture) and a Microsoft Band 2 sitting here on my desk in perfect working condition but a band split in two places! I have fought and fought against making the switch to Android but I have finally given in...or have I? I should be excited to have a new S9+ but I can't help feeling like I am cheating on my 950XL....I need help! Thanks for reading this post if you have made it this far. It's turned into more of a rant than a post so thanks for reading...........

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I am looking for a support group. I thought I'd start here. I just got a Samsung S9+ last week. I moved my T-Mobile SIM (secondary phone line) from my Lumia 950XL to the S9+. My primary AT&T SIM (work line) is still in the 950XL. It is my "security blanket" at this point. I can't get myself to commit 100% to an Android phone yet. The S9+ is really a downgrade at this point already since my 950XL gives me dual SIM AND a microSD slot, whereas the S9+ makes me choose between dual SIM OR extra memory! W10M is still (IMHO) the best phone OS on the planet! It leads in all categories except one: APPS! So was a complete addict: I have a Surface Pro 3; I have a Lumia 950XL (and 920 and Samsung Windows Phone 7 and Wm6.5 and WM6, before that...you get the picture) and a Microsoft Band 2 sitting here on my desk in perfect working condition but a band split in two places! I have fought and fought against making the switch to Android but I have finally given in...or have I? I should be excited to have a new S9+ but I can't help feeling like I am cheating on my 950XL....I need help! Thanks for reading this post if you have made it this far. It's turned into more of a rant than a post so thanks for reading...........
Hey there. I'm with you man. I'm only kidding myself by using the S9 plus I have. I have spent the past week trying to modify and tweek the UI and experience so that I can get the easiest use out of it. If I absolutely had to I could full out use it. To me its an upgrade in hardware only. That's it. So I feel spoiled even holding it. Slab of 800 bucks that just does all the Lumia 950 xl can but with better hardware and a Android user experience that drives me up the wall. I've never had so many popups and notifications per day as Android willing wants to give you. But the screen is excellent and the stereo speakers! Just a hardware upgrade is all I guess...typing this from a Lumia 950 xl 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720