Weekly photo contest: Silhouette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
silhouette.jpg​​

It's time for another weekly photo contest. Last week we decided to tackle the outdoors with our Windows Phone cameras. Now this week we'll try and capture silhouettes. Let?s get creative!

Silhouettes

Silhouettes is the theme for the photo contest this week. What?s that? A dark shape in front of a light background. One of the easiest ways to get silhouettes is to have your subject directly between you and a light source ? like the sun. Of course don?t just use the sun as a light source, use anything you have around you! A monitor, a lamp or a fire. Experiment and get wild.

Try and get creative capturing your silhouette. And as always, have fun!

The photo above was captured by me at Crystal Cove State Park near Laguna Beach in California. I capture it with the Lumia 1020 using Nokia Camera. I then used Adobe Photoshop Express for Windows Phone to adjust the vibrance, shadows and highlights. Then I cropped it for the site.

Rules

Rules are going to be just like last week. Here they are:

• Picture must be taken with a Windows Phone
  • Picture must be uploaded to the contest thread (linked below)
  • You have to tell us what device you used to take the picture, and any special software or apps you might have used. Editing your pictures is fine, this is art
  • Feel free to add a little back story, we want to know how the picture came to be
  • You must have used a valid email address to register here at Windows Phone Central, so I know how to contact the winner
  • Only ONE entry per week per person

Social

We're going to continue our social experiment from last week. Share any pictures you take for the contest on Instagram and Twitter using the following hashtags. It's a fun way to at a glance check out your competition and get inspiration. Plus we're building a community of Windows Phone mobile photographers!
Here's how it looks this week.

• #wpcpc
  • #outdoorswpc
This doesn't count as your entry; it's just a fun way to track the photos on social media. Your entry still needs to be in the forums!

Prize

One winner will get a $25 gift card to the Windows Phone Store. You can use it to buy apps and games in the Windows Phone Store, Windows Store or Xbox Store.

We'll pick a winner Tuesday night (September 2) at 11:59 PM ET. Winners will be announced in a blog post for the contest next week.

Quick PSA: We set up dedicated sub-forum in the Windows Phone Central forums to keep the photo contests going forward. You should bookmark this page, so you never miss a contest.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Everyone.. Please READ the rules.

The past few weeks a few of you had the chance to win, but submitted more than ONE photo.

​Good luck and have fun :)

Turanga06

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
WP_20140118_18_01_10_Pro.jpg
This is my family! I love this picture: My dad the super hero, my mom the model and my brother... well he?s trying to take a picture with his iPhone (poor guy)... This is a picture from past January in Carrillo Beach, Guanacaste, Costa Rica. A white-sand beatiful beach in the Pacific coast.

Taken by me using my Lumia 1020, no editing, using Nokia Camera, I think that all in auto.

Joel Marambaia

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
This is a very special picture taken during my honey moon. It?s the Sunrise from the very first day at Punta Cana, Republica Dominicana
Taken from my Lumia 920, no editing.
WP_20140512_002.jpg

idhamu

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
WP_20130928_10_19_06_Cinemagraph.jpg

This picture was taken at Lombok Beach, Indonesia. Sexy girl on the beach...

Taken using Lumia 720, using Cinemagraph, Little editing with creative studio

Last edited:

blueskyaction

May 29, 2014
Visit site
WP_20140823_16_41_40_Pro copy.jpg

Lumia 1020 with some Photoshop. This was a gondola up in the mountains and it was neat to have such a good underside view of it without it moving.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
AdobePhotoshopExpress_4f2d9ed9a2674cbb9956dd3fdce59036.jpg
This picture was taken with a Lumia 925 using Nokia Camera and edited in Photoshop Express. The reason for the low quality is my phone, also a Lumia 925, ran out of battery, so I borrowed my friend's phone and sent the picture in a text to my phone.

archimess

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
This was a great day out hiking with my dog and my girl.

InstagramCapture_50fdc015-4171-438e-8bfd-c92f034e8166.jpg

Used my Nokia Lumia 820, with a touch of Adobe Photoshop Express and an Instagram filter

therr2

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
This image was taken with my humble 520. It's from the festival Kumbh mela, the largest religious human gathering at one place. The place is called Sangam, a place where the two holy rivers Ganges and Yamuna meet. It's in the city Allahabad.
Just tweaked the contrast a little on the Nokia software. I used the Nokia camera for this shot.

Attachments

• WP_20140419_17_51_56_Pro20140420214822.jpg
    WP_20140419_17_51_56_Pro20140420214822.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 23

andrygun

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
WP_20140619_18_56_46_Pro-3.jpg

Taken with Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Camera App using low exposure

I was on my way home and I saw this guy just standing there (somehow he's aligned with the building too)
so just took a quick shoot..

R0VIN

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
My first ever post here at wpcentral. :) This shot was taken using an HTC Radar and edited by Fantasia and Fhotoroom. I was in a shed waiting for a taxi and the light was beginning to fade in the distance.

silhouette.jpg

oskr23

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Here is a beautiful shot I took at my hometown in El Salvador.
The sunset while the kids play basketball, just reminds me of those days, when all we cared about was having fun with our friends.
This was shot with my Lumia 925 using Nokia Camera with manual settings to get the perfect lighting, and tweaked it with Nokia Creative Studio.
Hope you enjoy it! Thanks!

Attachments

• fotor_(57).jpg
    fotor_(57).jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 25

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Awesome theme yet again, Sam! Here's my entry.

I was out, visiting La Jolla Cove, taking some sunset shots and began wandering down south from the cove. I spent quite some time taking some long exposure shots (with a tripod, of course) and was just about to pack up and return when I noticed this surfer emerge from the water and make his way back. I immediately knew I was in for a good silhouette shot. I clicked away using my Lumia 920 and had to do some post to adjust the colors (using Lightroom). I like this shot a lot - a. for the silhouette and b. the silky water effect.

WP_20140125_17_35_16_Pro.jpg

Chipz Ciptadi

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Blink_eaf00cc3-54ae-481d-8641-6daceac51d33_15_2013-08-09.jpg
Lumia 920
Apps: Blink
No editing

My family went on a vacation back in 2013. It was sunrise, my dad & mom were sitting on the beach looking at the waves. I was experimenting with the blink lense app. The sky was perfect, especially the red love-shaped sky:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos