Northern lights

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Tonight it is possible we will see the Northern lights here in Ottawa, Canada. I've been reading up on photography websites on how to photograph the lights, and it seems pretty difficult without the right equipment. I want to challenge my Lumia 920 tonight and I was wondering if you anyone here would have any tips?

I don't have a tripod here btw, and no time to buy one either so besides challenging my phone I'll also be challenging my steady hand ;)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Tonight it is possible we will see the Northern lights here in Ottawa, Canada. I've been reading up on photography websites on how to photograph the lights, and it seems pretty difficult without the right equipment. I want to challenge my Lumia 920 tonight and I was wondering if you anyone here would have any tips?

I don't have a tripod here btw, and no time to buy one either so besides challenging my phone I'll also be challenging my steady hand ;)

Anytime you're in a low light situation, it's always wise to not rely on the steadiness of your hand, if at all possible. Even with OIS, it's still a good idea to brace against something solid. Yes, the OIS helps a good bit, but nothing is a substitute for stillness.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I tried to make a stable stand and it seems like it would've worked.. Too bad the clouds blocked the view last night :|. Next time I'm seeing the northern lights I'll plan it so that I'm in Iceland with better gear :p

anon(8412718)

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You get up to 4sec exposures with Nokia Camera but depending on conditions (don't shoot night sky with any moon or it can end up looking like broad daylight) 4 sec may capture the light as long as they are visible to the naked eye.
I can do photos of Aurora Australis down here when we have a decent CME warning and the K Index is high enough for higher latitudes but I need my DSLR sensor to capture it.

But a 4 sec exposure with an ISO of around 800 should be good, if under exposed try higher ISO. Experiment!

I can't recommend a tripod (just get on of those mini $10 specials) enough for long exposure pictures - Joby make a universal phone tripod adapter (I use it with my 925) and with a little bit of patience and experimenting you can get some nice night photos.....from a phone no less!

Good luck :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium