Different Phones, Different Camera Settings??

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
So I got the icon, upgraded from the 8x, and I actually prefer the default camera to Nokia's. However I noticed something and then compared the Icon settings to my wife's 8x; her camera, ostensibly the same app, has way more settings than the Icon. I can't figure out why this is, but it is kind of annoying. Did Nokia remove settings from the default to make their camera app more attractive? I also cannot see why the lure of a 20 mp camera if only about 5 are used in both apps. Anyone have any insight? The settings shown are both from the default camera. Thanks!

Here is the settings for the Icon, photos and video:
Icon Photo.png Icon Video.png

And here are the settings for the 8x, photos and video:
8x photos.jpg 8x Video.png

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Can't answer the question about the settings (maybe it's an HTC/Nokia thing), but the lure of the 20MP camera is for higher resolution images. The Icon is certainly capable of taking more than a 5MP image. Change the settings. Even then, from what I understand, that 5MP image is super sampled, so you end up with a higher quality 5MP image.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Can't answer the question about the settings (maybe it's an HTC/Nokia thing), but the lure of the 20MP camera is for higher resolution images. The Icon is certainly capable of taking more than a 5MP image. Change the settings. Even then, from what I understand, that 5MP image is super sampled, so you end up with a higher quality 5MP image.

True, but there does not seem to be a change setting for the default for other megapixel amounts. And even the Nokia cam app the choices were not straight, it was 5+16. I don't get it...

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The settings should be 5+16 if you shoot in 16:9 or 5+19 if you shoot in 4:3.

Not sure where the capture options are for the stock cam, as I don't use it.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone gives manufactures the ability to modify the Default camera settings or privide an alternate camera altogether. HTC has some settings for their camera that Nokia doesn't provide. My HTC Titan had quite a few settings for the camera I still haven't seen on any other windows phone device and it took pretty good pictures. But I still love having the manual controls on my 1020. The Nokia Beta Camera has better color settings than the stock Nokia camera, so I'd recommend you download it and use it as your default camera. It may crash every blue moon because it's still in Beta, but it's pretty solid and definitely improves on you images if you like to use the auto settings a lot.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone gives manufactures the ability to modify the Default camera settings or privide an alternate camera altogether. HTC has some settings for their camera that Nokia doesn't provide. My HTC Titan had quite a few settings for the camera I still haven't seen on any other windows phone device and it took pretty good pictures. But I still love having the manual controls on my 1020. The Nokia Beta Camera has better color settings than the stock Nokia camera, so I'd recommend you download it and use it as your default camera. It may crash every blue moon because it's still in Beta, but it's pretty solid and definitely improves on you images if you like to use the auto settings a lot.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I like the interface of the default, and I really am just a snapshooter, so I'll stick with it for now....wonder if when the updated camera in 8.1 is implemented if that will override the manufacturer settings and be consistent across all models.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans