Nokia camera image prossesing vs new microsoft wp camera app

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone noticing differences in how the camera apps (Nokia camera and the new Microsoft camera), does post possessing of images?
Also, the Nokia camera's 5 MP pictures are oversampled through pureview algorithms from the 41mp sensor. Does anyone know whether or not the MSFT camera app's 5 MP shoots use the same oversampling? Or simply downscaling to take 5mp pics?

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
took my question to twitter, and Michiel of the UX designe team at Nokia comfirmed that the defult Microsoft camera app does not utilize the purview algorithms.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
took my question to twitter, and Michiel of the UX designe team at Nokia comfirmed that the defult Microsoft camera app does not utilize the purview algorithms.

Are you referring to the jpeg post processing? Which one do you think is much better? Nokia Camera or Microsoft Camera?

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you referring to the jpeg post processing?
yes and no. when I say the pureview algorithms I refer to the oversampling that happens in the pureview 20-41 range. Where they create oversampled images. Using the full resolution of the sensors data to craft "perfect pixels" for a near fault less 5mp image.

I do notice some difference between the output of the two camera apps (currently using the Nokia camera beta). And I can believe that the stock Microsoft camera app does not support the pureview oversampling, as I do get differential results from the same sceen. But I thought it might be just my imagination, that is until the Nokia UX team confirmed it. The Nokia camera app uses pureview technology-the Microsoft app uses pureview hardware, but does "regular" downscaling to produce 5mp images.
I have a 1020, and I would like to here from other pureview users on this subject!
Do you feel the Microsoft app does the processing well? Have you noticed a difference?

Which one do you think is much better? Nokia Camera or Microsoft Camera?
I prefer the amount of detail in the nokia camera, also think it does colors slightly better (or rather, seems to handle dynamic range better). But the Microsoft camera definitely has it's upsides aswell!

That's unacceptable, Microsoft.
I acctualy understand it. I mean, the windows phone camera app is there to take the best possible image with the hardware that it runs on, right? the OS isn't made purely for pureview devices. and therefore it can't be relying on the pureview algothems, as it would have to be a separate app for those chose few devises that use oversampling... and they already have a seperet app that takes advantage, the nokia branded ones.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss