ProShot vs Nokia Camera vs Microsoft Camera

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
hi guys
just curious about the ProShot app...
is it worth it to use on the Lumia 1020 than the Nokia Camera?

is it faster to snap pictures than the Nokia Camera?
are the pictures taken better?

thanks in advance

UPDATE:
Out of curiosity, I bought the ProShot app and just finished the tests between Microsoft Camera, Nokia Camera 4.7.2.5 and ProShot 5.0.0.0.

All tests performed using Nokia Lumia 1020 running Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers and Lumia Black firmware
Manufacturer Name: RM-875_apac_indonesia_1002
OS Version: 8.10.12397.895
Firmware Version: 3051.40000.1345.1002

Speed Test
For Speed Test, I did three tests:
1. Startup Time
2. Shoot-to-Shoot Time (Autofocus)
3. Shoot-to-Shoot Time (Manual Focus)
Each tests repeated three times on each app.

Results
Microsoft Camera won the Startup Time test with 3.121 s, followed by ProShot with 4.283 s and Nokia Camera with 4.517 s.
ProShot won the Shoot-to-Shoot Time (AF) test with 4.489 s, closely followed by Microsoft Camera with 4.494 s and Nokia Camera with 4.526 s.
Nokia Camera won the Shoot-to-Shoot Time (MF) test with 3.839 s, closely followed by ProShot with 3.845 s.

Overall, Microsoft Camera won the Speed Test with 7.616 s to start-and-snap, followed by ProShot (8.772 s) and Nokia Camera (9.042 s)

Quality Test
For this one, I'd like you guys to give your own opinion.
I did three tests for this category:
1. No-flash Auto
2. ISO 100, EV 0, Fluorescent White Balance
3. ISO 800, EV 0, Fluorescent White Balance

Results
No-flash Auto
Microsoft Camera
MC_auto_no%20flash.jpg

Nokia Camera
NC_auto_no%20flash.jpg

ProShot
PS_auto_no%20flash.jpg

ISO 100, EV 0, Fluorescent White Balance
Microsoft Camera
MC_ISO%20100_EV%200_Fluorescent.jpg

Nokia Camera
NC_ISO%20100_EV%200_fluorescent.jpg

ProShot
PS_ISO%20100_EV%200_fluorescent.jpg

ISO 800, EV 0, Fluorescent White Balance
Microsoft Camera
MC_ISO%20800_EV%200_Fluorescent.jpg

Nokia Camera
NC_ISO%20800_EV%200_fluorescent.jpg

ProShot
PS_ISO%20800_EV%200_fluorescent.jpg

Overall, in my opinion, Nokia Camera produce better colors and doesn't really suffer from the slight yellow tint that can be found on MS Camera and ProShot, although ProShot handles the tint better than the MS Camera.

Conclusion
From these tests, we can conclude several pros and cons for each apps:
Microsoft Camera
Pros: Fast shooting time
Cons: No full-resolution shot, Hard to use manual setting, Slightly worse image quality

Nokia Camera
Pros: Reframe, Shooting in RAW mode, Easy manual setting
Cons: Slow

ProShot
Pros: More features (manual-focus assist, customizable manual setting, HDR, etc.)
Cons: Cannot be launched with the camera shutter button, Heat up the phone faster

comments are welcome :smile:

Last edited:

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: ProShot vs Nokia Camera

hi guys
just curious about the ProShot app...
is it worth it to use on the Lumia 1020 than the Nokia Camera?

is it faster to snap pictures than the Nokia Camera?
are the pictures taken better?

thanks in advance

I also want to know which one is much better in terms of quality of pictures.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

It is hard to answer that question with a simple answer. A lot depends on a) the subject of your photos, b) how much work you want to do setting up your shot, c) how much manual control you want to use when shooting, d) if you want to save several different settings that you use frequently, e) if you ever want to shoot HDR, f) if you want to do any post processing with professional software vs. just crop and one-touch edit on your phone, and g) what is the final use of your photos, digital photo album on Flicker etc vs. posting quick shots on Instagram or Twitter.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Since the apps are both free you might as well install both and try them.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I used to use ProShot exclusively on my 920 back when I had it. It was way better than the stock camera app and I was able to take some great pictures using it... I've since upgraded to the 1020 though, and now that we have Nokia Camera, I forgot all about ProShot, even though I've still had it installed all along.

I have been playing with it (ProShot, that is) for the last couple of days, since they did the major ver. 5 update with all the new features. I've got to say it's really good! They each do a couple things the other one doesn't, so having them both to choose from isn't a bad idea. It's not like these camera apps take up a whole bunch of space. Shoot, I have about 12 different camera apps installed on my 1020! lol

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

OP updated

I used to use ProShot exclusively on my 920 back when I had it. It was way better than the stock camera app and I was able to take some great pictures using it... I've since upgraded to the 1020 though, and now that we have Nokia Camera, I forgot all about ProShot, even though I've still had it installed all along.

I have been playing with it (ProShot, that is) for the last couple of days, since they did the major ver. 5 update with all the new features. I've got to say it's really good! They each do a couple things the other one doesn't, so having them both to choose from isn't a bad idea. It's not like these camera apps take up a whole bunch of space. Shoot, I have about 12 different camera apps installed on my 1020! lol

wow, that's an excessive number of apps :p

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Well, the 1020 is a camera oriented phone..

Thanks for posting the comparison/review! Kinda figured Nokia Camera would be the slowest, especially when in DNG/RAW mode.

SBaljeet

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Well I have a 920, bought Proshot right when it was launched and was pretty impressed by it! But soon the overheating issues started surfacing. And afterwards Nokia Camera came into the store that made me uninstall every camera app I ever downloaded.

Recently i reinstalled Proshot just to try it out again and well it again impressed me! IMO proshot has a +1 feature to shoot HDR images that Nokia Camera doesnt..well for atleast below lumia1020 range phones. On the other hand if we use iso-100 setting in Nokia camera it produces clean smooth photos competing the like of HDRs of proshot..

Still i like to play with settings in Nokia camera more than Proshot..

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE:
Out of curiosity, I bought the ProShot app and just finished the tests between Microsoft Camera, Nokia Camera 4.7.2.5 and ProShot 5.0.0.0.

All tests performed using Nokia Lumia 1020 running Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers and Lumia Black firmware
Manufacturer Name: RM-875_apac_indonesia_1002
OS Version: 8.10.12397.895
Firmware Version: 3051.40000.1345.1002

Speed Test
For Speed Test, I did three tests:
1. Startup Time
2. Shoot-to-Shoot Time (Autofocus)
3. Shoot-to-Shoot Time (Manual Focus)
Each tests repeated three times on each app.

Results
Microsoft Camera won the Startup Time test with 3.121 s, followed by ProShot with 4.283 s and Nokia Camera with 4.517 s.
ProShot won the Shoot-to-Shoot Time (AF) test with 4.489 s, closely followed by Microsoft Camera with 4.494 s and Nokia Camera with 4.526 s.
Nokia Camera won the Shoot-to-Shoot Time (MF) test with 3.839 s, closely followed by ProShot with 3.845 s.

Overall, Microsoft Camera won the Speed Test with 7.616 s to start-and-snap, followed by ProShot (8.772 s) and Nokia Camera (9.042 s)

Quality Test
For this one, I'd like you guys to give your own opinion.
I did three tests for this category:
1. No-flash Auto
2. ISO 100, EV 0, Fluorescent White Balance
3. ISO 800, EV 0, Fluorescent White Balance

Results
No-flash Auto
Microsoft Camera
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AAmUaScKMSrHyxk&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg
Nokia Camera
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AB_x4Oi9hN1Do5s&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg
ProShot
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AGakqMvaD0pzFw8&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

ISO 100, EV 0, Fluorescent White Balance
Microsoft Camera
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AMkbXzKeEzpJy0g&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg
Nokia Camera
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AMBkjUBZEJss_Xg&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg
ProShot
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AIgaY9HpLt4edeE&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

ISO 800, EV 0, Fluorescent White Balance
Microsoft Camera
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AK90kC2YyUawfdo&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg
Nokia Camera
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AJh77c-8aKd8E-A&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg
ProShot
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!ABdHrdZw6HD2dZI&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

Overall, in my opinion, Nokia Camera produce better colors and doesn't really suffer from the slight yellow tint that can be found on MS Camera and ProShot, although ProShot handles the tint better than the MS Camera.

Conclusion
Microsoft Camera
Cons: No full-resolution shot, Hard to use manual setting, Slightly worse image quality

Nokia Camera
Pros: Reframe, Shooting in RAW mode, Easy manual setting
Cons: Slow

ProShot
Pros: More features (manual-focus assist, customizable manual setting, HDR, etc.)
Cons: Cannot be launched with the camera shutter button, Heat up the phone faster

comments are welcome :smile:

Where are the comparison photos?

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

For the startup speed test, a better test that is closer to a real world test would be how long it takes to wake up camera from sleeping and take a photo. Now obviously, Proshot would be at a serious disadvantage here because you cannot make it the default app to launch by pressing the shutter button.

That is why I am using the Nokia Camera Beta app for my quick shot auto shoot mode, and Proshot when I want to take the time to set up the camera settings manually.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

As soon as other software support oversampling, I'll give it a go..
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Results
Microsoft

Conclusion
Microsoft Camera

From this, I would say they all fall into the SLOW category for shoot to shoot time. I went for the 1020 since we were having a baby, and my wife ends up taking most of the photos with her iPhone 5 because the shoot to shoot time is MUCH quicker, and she can catch the baby smiling. Understandably processing 41MB of data is slower than 8MB, but this is ridiculous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99