Came to Windows Phone because of the camera, but agree with this

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I quit reading The Verge ages ago (along with some of the other apple obsessed sites). It's like they can't even think for themselves. It's like a scene out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. You walk into an apple store, walk out as a pod person. Kinda creepy!

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Does denim update really affect the image quality? I think its the hardware that matters more than software.

Sort of. The issue is the Lumia Camera 5 app itself with jpeg processing. It's terrible compared to the Classic app even on Denim. There is another thread with a whole bunch of examples showing how the new app handles processing differently. If you use the old Classic camera on Denim you get the good ol great quality shots but you are stuck with a slow camera with no 4k or rich tone.

The question is then why did MS ruin the great algorithm and replace it with a crappy one in the new app when it's very obvious the old one was much better.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Do iPhones have a separate camera button? How the hell then is the iPhone camera app supposed to start faster than the one on a 930 with Denim? I hit the camera button and nearly instantly I can shoot. I truly can not imagine that an iPhone is started faster.

Besides the discussion is more one of taste - the quality is important too. I don't think the iPhone does Dolby Surround does it?

But the iPhone has more sex appeal, and for many people following the herd this counts :)

Luckily there are alternatives for those who do not want to be sucked up in a big grey herd.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The question is then why did MS ruin the great algorithm and replace it with a crappy one in the new app when it's very obvious the old one was much better.

Indeed, I dont understand why either, can't they just fix what's broken and then polish it. Its also why I can't fully commit to WP, MS isn't fully committed to their mobile division(yet).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, I dont understand why either, can't they just fix what's broken and then polish it. Its also why I can't fully commit to WP, MS isn't fully committed to their mobile division(yet).

Microsoft just finished acquiring Nokia last spring (4/14) and have already released Microsoft-branded phones. Apple hasn't gone through any buyouts, neither have Samsung, HTC or LG. So let's look at recent buyouts and then tell me if Microsoft hasn't moved faster than others.

The last Motorola before the Google acquisition was the Droid Razr series in Q4 of 2011 (11/11). It wasn't until August of 2013 until the Moto X was released. Almost 2 full years between model releases.

The Palm Pre2 was released in October of 2010 and the HP Pre3 wasn't released (unofficially) until August of 2011. In fact, the phone was never officially released in the US due to the Apothecalypse. Almost a full year to release a phone that was basically a refresh of the existing line.

Even though it wasn't a buyout, during the transition from Research In Motion to BlackBerry, model releases were almost two years apart (Bold 9900 - 9/11 Z10 - 3/13).

Now consider that the Lumia 535 was released just 7 months after the closing of the Nokia deal and tell me Microsoft isn't committed to its mobile division.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft just finished acquiring Nokia last spring (4/14) and have already released Microsoft-branded phones. Apple hasn't gone through any buyouts, neither have Samsung, HTC or LG. So let's look at recent buyouts and then tell me if Microsoft hasn't moved faster than others.

The last Motorola before the Google acquisition was the Droid Razr series in Q4 of 2011 (11/11). It wasn't until August of 2013 until the Moto X was released. Almost 2 full years between model releases.

The Palm Pre2 was released in October of 2010 and the HP Pre3 wasn't released (unofficially) until August of 2011. In fact, the phone was never officially released in the US due to the Apothecalypse. Almost a full year to release a phone that was basically a refresh of the existing line.

Even though it wasn't a buyout, during the transition from Research In Motion to BlackBerry, model releases were almost two years apart (Bold 9900 - 9/11 Z10 - 3/13).

Now consider that the Lumia 535 was released just 7 months after the closing of the Nokia deal and tell me Microsoft isn't committed to its mobile division.

The 535 is a turd, it's touch screen issues have all but relegated it to the "no thanks" group. Their other groups of entry level phones are nothing more than an exchange of cheepo parts. They show me nothing. But at this time, i don't see anything from anyone that is a better value than my 635 so i sit and play wait and see.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The 535 is a turd, it's touch screen issues have all but relegated it to the "no thanks" group. Their other groups of entry level phones are nothing more than an exchange of cheepo parts. They show me nothing. But at this time, i don't see anything from anyone that is a better value than my 635 so i sit and play wait and see.

If you've never been a part of a corporate buy-out you have no idea how hard it is to get all the logistics straight in such a short time frame. Even a renaming like RIM/BlackBerry did is a paperwork mess when you have so many vendors involved. That's not even taking into account the local business permits for each of your locations, worker's comp certificates, umbrella insurance, etc.

Putting out that 535 in that timeframe was monumental task, they deserve more credit than calling the handset a turd.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
If you've never been a part of a corporate buy-out you have no idea how hard it is to get all the logistics straight in such a short time frame. Even a renaming like RIM/BlackBerry did is a paperwork mess when you have so many vendors involved. That's not even taking into account the local business permits for each of your locations, worker's comp certificates, umbrella insurance, etc.

Putting out that 535 in that timeframe was monumental task, they deserve more credit than calling the handset a turd.

You may be right, but those with the screen problems that Microsoft can't seem to fix should may feel differently. I believe the proper action would be to replace the product if they can't get it right.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You may be right, but those with the screen problems that Microsoft can't seem to fix should may feel differently. I believe the proper action would be to replace the product if they can't get it right.

Isn't that what warranties are for? There's no such thing as recalls for phones, if a customer has an issue they need to get to an authorized repair center or contact Microsoft. I had an issue with the headphone jack on an iPhone 6+ and the only solution was to make an appointment through the "Genius" and have the phone repaired. No loaners, no nothing. Just like everybody else.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that what warranties are for? There's no such thing as recalls for phones, if a customer has an issue they need to get to an authorized repair center or contact Microsoft. I had an issue with the headphone jack on an iPhone 6+ and the only solution was to make an appointment through the "Genius" and have the phone repaired. No loaners, no nothing. Just like everybody else.

Ask Guytronic how committed he thinks Microsoft is in regards to the 535 he has. There is no fix for the screen problems. They should do an exchange for a working phone. And yes they do have phone recalls. Just a few months back my out of warranty iphone five had its power button , battery, and camera module replaced for free. I was given a loaner and had the option to keep it rather than wait for my phone to be fixed. Great support from apple and the genius bar. Hopefully MS will step up and do the same if needed.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
How about a baby or toddler doing something new for the first time? If you want to capture that moment you need a very fast acting camera.
This is where I have iPhone camera envy. Being a father of a three and five year old, the time to capture that one moment is very short. Launching the camera is one thing, but to focus and snap the shot is an eternity compared to the time I have to get them in that moment. And then if I do, half of the time the photo is blurry because the auto setting of the ISO and shutter speed is too slow for what they are doing. And to be able to manually change settings get a good shot of that fleeting moment?
timeforthat.png

Other than that, my 20MP pureview is better in every way when comparing my shots to my wife's iPhone 6.

mrruz

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
The windows phone has the dedicated button for pulling up the camera. (not all, but most) With denim installed it's lightning fast. There's no way I'd sell out to apple for their sub par camera. Honestly, I think Samsung beats them now...

Can't wait for the day when apple users realize they've been paying hefty premiums for yesteryear's tech and an apple logo.

crosslad17

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
IPhones do have camera buttons, the use one if the volume buttons. Think the lumia cameras still beat them on features though, some of the lenses are great.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6