09-11-2017 08:30 AM
82 1234
tools
    EDIT: Nevermind. It's NOT in the All Apps list as stated in the instructions from RumoredNow. It is in Settings -> Extras -> Interop Tools.

@RumoredNow: Please correct your instructions. ;)
    When I first started looking at this, some were saying "hey it isn't in settings it is in all apps" so I believe as Saijin says that you have an old version of the tool.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    07-21-2016 11:20 AM
    Also, your DNG file is the proper resolution. Check it out on your desktop using another program, or check it on mobile using Rawer or another RAW editor app. For whatever reason it appears that phones that are modded to shoot DNG do not report the resolution properly in Photos. All of my 4:3 DNG report 800x600 in Photos as well.
    Good to know... I've added that to the OP with credit to you.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    07-21-2016 11:29 AM
    Rhap,
    Sorry, he's not wrong. I talked with Gustav and he said that InterOp Tools should NOT be in Extra->Settings anymore since many versions of the tool ago.

Make sure you're using his most recent release:
    https://mega.nz/#F!iZMhSSzI!sGQy4V12ubfvT8Abm2Uo1g

Also, your DNG file is the proper resolution. Check it out on your desktop using another program, or check it on mobile using Rawer or another RAW editor app. For whatever reason it appears that phones that are modded to shoot DNG do not report the resolution properly in Photos. All of my 4:3 DNG report 800x600 in Photos as well.
    Thanks for the link to the new version. I used the link in the article RumoredNow linked to, and it was an older version.

Everyone needs to be aware, though, that when using Rawer on my phone, it is reporting the correct resolution. Also, Fotor on my Laptop reports the correct resolution.

It seems that it is GIMP that is unable to get the correct resolution of the DNG. It loads it, but it loads a lower resolution of the photo. Not sure why. I'll have to convert it to something else before being able to use it in GIMP for editing, I suppose.

When I first started looking at this, some were saying "hey it isn't in settings it is in all apps" so I believe as Saijin says that you have an old version of the tool.
    The newest version appears to have a regular version alongside a settings version that you can download. Personally, I prefer it to be in Settings, as I don't want my wife to accidentally invoke it when using my phone thinking, "I wonder what this is?"

EDIT: Just tried installing the Settings version. Not showing up in Settings anywhere. I'll install the regular one.

EDIT 2: Okay, it will install to settings if you want, but it has to be installed on local storage and not the SD card. Done and done.
    Last edited by rhapdog; 07-21-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    RumoredNow and Saijin_Naib like this.
    07-21-2016 12:23 PM
    Don't feel too bad, Paint.NET can't load it at all.

Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows : Adobe DNG Codec 2.0 : Thank You

This gives you a system codec for DNG which allows Windows Photo Gallery & Windows Photo & Fax Viewer to open/view the RAW, and to enable you to convert it to another format. It reads the EXIF and metadata properly, and even loads it at the proper resolution.

As a bonus, Explorer/Shell will make DNG previews and allow you to do grouping/sorting/etc against the metadata, just like with other supported file types. Give 'er the ol' reboot after install to get Explorer/Shell metadata support, though thumbnailing/opening works without a reboot.
    untitled.png
    RumoredNow and rhapdog like this.
    07-21-2016 12:55 PM
    Is DNG overall better quality or it's useful only for editing with better quality
    07-27-2016 02:52 PM
    Is DNG overall better quality or it's useful only for editing with better quality
    It will be better quality IF you process it right. However, you HAVE to process it. If you don't want to mess with that, stay with JPEG, as the W10 Camera does a fine job of post-processing in my eyes.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-27-2016 03:00 PM
    A DNG file is just potential. It isn't an image. It is more or less just a dump file of the sensor data at the time of the shot. You need a program to convert it into a picture.

IMHO, it has more potential than a JPG which has already been converted from the sensor data by the algorithms of the camera app you are using... The app would cherry pick what it wants from the data and drop other stuff out (check the file sizes as reported). So processing the JPG naturally uses less data.

So the potential is greater for more good and more harm depending on how you process it.

Probably the best advantage of DNG/RAW is that it is the same every time you open it. JPG will deteriorate over time with every save done.
    07-27-2016 08:11 PM
    People have explained very well already, but I would like to add some points here.

DNG is a raw format, it means the raw data camera sensor sees when the picture is taken. If you just open it in some tool you will find it very dull because all the JPG produced by cameras (it does not matter phone camera, point and shoot or DSLR) are post-processed by the built in algorithm already. The result makes most people feel good enough. Good but average.

If you browse Internet, such as 500px or flickr, you will see many very stunning pictures. Because they are heavily processed to adjust numerous parameters in a very advanced way. In this case raw file has huge advantage. Some of the commonly used post-processing techniques and concepts include: exposure compensation, contrast, tone curve, sharpening, tone mapping, tone splitting, color temperature adjustment, noise reduction, white balance adjustment and so on.

f you have interest you can find some decent tools to process raw files, it is a quite deep learning curve. It may take you awhile to get to the level camera does for you.
    07-27-2016 09:13 PM
    Like Hardy said, the learning curve is massive.

I can adjust color/tonality/contrast/levels/sharpening/etc super easy with RAW to get what I want. I'm used to this kind of post-processing workflow since I do it to every image I touch.

However, what I've YET to figure out is how to balance sharpening and noise reduction as well as the native JPG processor of the W10 Camera. Either I make my images soft and muddy, or they have ISO-noise. That is a superbly difficult balance to strike, in my experience so far.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-27-2016 09:40 PM
    Either I make my images soft and muddy, or they have ISO-noise. That is a superbly difficult balance to strike, in my experience so far.
    I have found lighting and distance will have a profound effect on this. High ISO will have greater noise. You need good enough lighting to bring the ISO down to at least 100 or less to reduce the noise the sensor picks up. Less noise on the sensor = sharper image.

I mainly work with nature photography and portraits. For portraits, I have studio lighting that provides 28,000 lumens brightness at 6500K color temperature. Without it, there is far too much noise. With the nature photography, it's all daylight work, so again, low noise as long as the subjects are very close. Distant objects are just going to get grainy no matter what if you are using a phone camera. If you've got a good DSLR with quality Zoom lenses, then you'll be okay.

For me, I'm just using the RAW/DNG on my 640 for the times I do a bit of outdoor photography work and don't have a better camera with me, like when I'm visiting family and they decide they all want to take pictures outside on the rare times everyone shows up. Everyone takes turns getting pics with their phone, including me. Once I've processed, I share mine, and everyone is blown away wishing their phone could take those good pictures. We blew up the last one I did to a 12"x18" and framed it at the grandparents house. Looked as good as the paid portraits they already had on the wall. If I'd started with a JPG instead of DNG, there would have been too much noise to blow it up to that size. Even then, getting that size photo from a 1/4" sensor at 8MP was absolutely amazing.

Yeah, enjoying the raw processing so far. I've always been good at image processing, but have never worked with RAW images until now. I seem to have picked it up pretty good, or at least good enough I'm impressing some folks. Perhaps I'll post something after I finish moving.
    RumoredNow and ananve like this.
    07-28-2016 06:00 AM
    I have found lighting and distance will have a profound effect on this. High ISO will have greater noise. You need good enough lighting to bring the ISO down to at least 100 or less to reduce the noise the sensor picks up. Less noise on the sensor = sharper image.
    I'm well aware of how this works. I'm a Remote Sensing scientist. My point was that the camera's post-processing does a great job of balancing sharpening and noise reduction (color & luminance). It does this at any ISO, but as you've mentioned, this becomes more obvious as the ISO increases.
    RumoredNow and rhapdog like this.
    07-28-2016 10:53 AM
    I'm well aware of how this works. I'm a Remote Sensing scientist. My point was that the camera's post-processing does a great job of balancing sharpening and noise reduction (color & luminance). It does this at any ISO, but as you've mentioned, this becomes more obvious as the ISO increases.
    I'm sorry as I didn't mean to seem condescending to you on it. We have a lot of amateurs interested that don't understand the process, and it helps to give them a thorough explanation from time to time. Usually when I post something like that I'm aiming at a more general audience for educational purposes. I just don't have the time for it like I used to.
    RumoredNow and Saijin_Naib like this.
    07-28-2016 06:10 PM
    Springboarding, baby. I'm guilty of it myself.
    07-28-2016 08:08 PM
    The app does not show up neither in extras(Settings) neither in all apps Lumia 640 app version InteropToolsApp_0.0.173.0_arm

While InteropToolsApp_0.0.2.0_arm did show up in extras, but I wanted to use the latest version possible.
    08-10-2016 05:07 PM
    I wanted to use the latest version possible.
    There is a new 1.8 and a file of 5 dependencies that need to be installed.

Check from this point forward in the linked thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...tm#post3530713
    08-10-2016 06:02 PM
    I tried that on a spare 920, I do have the DNG option but it doesn't save the actual file, can anyone confirm that its supposed to be working on the x20s ?

Thanks,
    08-25-2016 05:27 PM
    I tried that on a spare 920, I do have the DNG option but it doesn't save the actual file, can anyone confirm that its supposed to be working on the x20s ?

Thanks,
    Check this post and make sure all the Registry Paths are correct: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gui...ml#post3517539

Other than that I'm not reading much about S2 and S4 SoC with Interop Tools so there is no confirmation or denial I can find for you.
    08-25-2016 09:48 PM
    I have set up all the paths correctly, But I guess there is something missing for the 920, because I can select the JPEG+DNG option, its just not saving the DNG file
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-26-2016 11:47 AM
    I have set up all the paths correctly, But I guess there is something missing for the 920, because I can select the JPEG+DNG option, its just not saving the DNG file
    Could you post the issue over here as well? http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...op-unlock.html

Maybe someone viewing that thread will have more information or better advice.

Sorry it isn't working out for you. :(
    08-26-2016 11:52 AM
    I am on the same situation. Lumia 1020 with 10.0.14393 build with DNG registry enabled.
    The app shows me DNG option, but when I shoot, app only creates a jpg.

08-27-2016 09:11 PM
    I am on the same situation. Lumia 1020 with 10.0.14393 build with DNG registry enabled.
    The app shows me DNG option, but when I shoot, app only creates a jpg.
    I've just combed through my 1520.

You may need to create the following (fill in any missing steps in the path):
    "Interop Tools > Registry Browser > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > OEM > Nokia > Camera > RFC > Resolution > DngCapture_NeededBufferSize"
    This needs to be set as an Integer with a value of 26508288

wp_ss_20160828_0001.jpg
    08-28-2016 11:53 AM
    Deprecated, see post #76 below...

[S]OP updated as follows:

[INFO]Update:
    Here is a link to the latest version of the tool (1.80.0.160.0 Beta). ARM

Download and unzip. You need the tool and 5 dependencies that are bundled in a sub-folder.[/INFO]
    After downloading and unzipping, connect your Lumia to a PC via USB. (Or transfer the file by another method if you prefer.)
    • Navigate to the root folder of the device and place the ARM folder there.
    • On the device go to Settings > Update & Security > For developers > highlight "Developer mode" by tapping on it > accept the warning and tap "Yes." (Note that you may want to come back after the tool is installed and restore your default.)
    • Close Settings and open File Explorer
    • Navigate to the root folder of the device and open the ARM folder > open the ARM Dependencies folder > tap on each file in turn and tap "install" for each when the dialog box pops up (there are 5 dependencies in total and you should install all 5)
    • Navigate back up the directory tree to the ARM folder > tap on the tool > accept the advice and tap "install." (Note that the tool should be signed in the advice by "gus33000" and if it is not I don't know what the heck you are doing - get out of there!!!)
    • The App should appear on your All Apps list and you may pin it to Start

[/S]
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 08-29-2016 at 11:22 AM.
    08-28-2016 02:58 PM
    I've just combed through my 1520.

You may need to create the following (fill in any missing steps in the path):
    "Interop Tools > Registry Browser > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > OEM > Nokia > Camera > RFC > Resolution > DngCapture_NeededBufferSize"
    This needs to be set as an Integer with a value of 26508288

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20160828_0001.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	129986

Thank you really much for helping. I did it carefully but nothing changes. Keep saving to 34mpx JPG. :(
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-28-2016 07:24 PM
    Thank you really much for helping. I did it carefully but nothing changes. Keep saving to 34mpx JPG. :(
    I can look around a bit more.
    quearte and CharafH like this.
    08-28-2016 07:27 PM
    I tried this on my Lumia 650, but without success. For some reason changing the value from 1 to 0 had no effect, however after some more testing I found out how to make it work!

It seems that for newer MS devices, the path is different:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > OEM > MMO > Camera > Barc > DNGDisabled

So if you are unable to make it work using the original path, try this alternative method.
    I suspect it will be needed for all new MS devices (550/650).
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-28-2016 11:34 PM
82 1234