[W10M] Enable DNG Capture on Your Lumia Phone

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Are you not seeing DNG on your Lumia 930 already? You should be. It would be the same as my 1520. 5MP jpg + 16MP dng if shooting 16:9 ratio and 5MP jpg + 18MP dng if shooting 4:3 aspect ratio. If you are seeing this, then the Reg Edit is meaningless to you as you already have these values in your registry.

RAW is a proprietary file type and different DSLR makers use differing file formats. So one program might open the Sony and Cannon RAW, but not the Fuji RAW. DNG is the "open standard" developed by Adobe so certainly Adobe products like Lightroom will open it. I'm sure you will find programs that won't open DNG even though it is meant to be universal.

Nokia (and now Microsoft) went with DNG files and I don't know that there is even a way to switch off DNG in your phone and over to a RAW capture. It's nomenclature as they do the same thing (dump the sensor data), but also a file standard.

Yes i do see it, but i have just now noticed what confused me. When you make a HDR picture in DNG mode, you will get 4 files out of it. EVminus, EV0, EVplus and another file named somethingRAW (this one is actually a JPG, but the RAW in it's name made me to believe all other files are RAW format and not DNG. Now that i check it again i see this is not true.

Thanks again for explaining the difference to me :)

Take care :D

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When you make a HDR picture in DNG mode, you will get 4 files out of it. EVminus, EV0, EVplus and another file named somethingRAW (this one is actually a JPG

I love this "trick" of getting all the brackets as DNG to give you choices of exposure to work from in post-shot edit. Or if you turn on HDR and Flash you get a Dynamic Flash JPG, a DNG with Flash and a DNG no flash.

:cool:

Last edited:

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I love this "trick" of getting all the brackets as DNG to give you choices of exposure to work from in post-shot edit. Or if you turn on HDR and Flash you get a Dynamic Flash JPG, a DNG with Flash and a DNG no flash.

:cool:

MS really thought of everything :) Or Nokia for that matter :) Perfect for later editing. Also, if you compose the different exposure images together in Lightroom, the HDR that comes out is really almost the same as editing the Rich capture on the phone itself. Great stuff :D

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did this one entirely in Fotor from the 640 DNG ev+ file.

I cropped it 16:9 (same as original) to remove a light pole in the lower right corner and that left me with a 5.0MP image. Applied the Landscape scene mode, used the Real-Illusion filter at 18% and then applied Tilt/Shift on the horizontal with a broad in-focus band across the mid section and the top and bottom 1/8th (1/4 of total picture) with diffused focus...

dng_ev+_fotor_crop_landscape_real-illusion_tilt-shift.jpg

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I downloaded the Interop Tools, enabled Developer Mode successfully. However, the tool will not install.

It gives the warning, but when I tap "install", it just closes out and doesn't install. Running build 14393 on Lumia 640 LTE. Has Microsoft disabled the installation of this tool with this build? Anyone else able to install the tool on this build?

EDIT: Nevermind. It's NOT in the All Apps list as stated in the instructions from RumoredNow. It is in Settings -> Extras -> Interop Tools.

@RumoredNow: Please correct your instructions. ;)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I downloaded the Interop Tools, enabled Developer Mode successfully. However, the tool will not install.

It gives the warning, but when I tap "install", it just closes out and doesn't install. Running build 14393 on Lumia 640 LTE. Has Microsoft disabled the installation of this tool with this build? Anyone else able to install the tool on this build?

Here's the thread on Interop Tools: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...s-10-mobile-reg-tweaks-no-interop-unlock.html The only mention in there of Insider Fast is back on 14367 that it was working.

What version of the tool did you use? There is a v1.7 link in post #20 of that thread.

Is the appx bundle on SD by any chance? I put v1.7 in the root folder of This Device on my 640 and it worked. Just yesterday I put v1.7 in the root folder of This Device on a non-Lumia and it worked. The 640 is on Insider Release and the non-Lumia was stock... So it may have been the build, but I can't say.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Here's the thread on Interop Tools: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...s-10-mobile-reg-tweaks-no-interop-unlock.html The only mention in there of Insider Fast is back on 14367 that it was working.

What version of the tool did you use? There is a v1.7 link in post #20 of that thread.

Is the appx bundle on SD by any chance? I put v1.7 in the root folder of This Device on my 640 and it worked. Just yesterday I put v1.7 in the root folder of This Device on a non-Lumia and it worked. The 640 is on Insider Release and the non-Lumia was stock... So it may have been the build, but I can't say.

I must have edited my previous post while you were posting. Check it again. It did work, but your instructions on where to find it were wrong. :D

I have it "sort of" working. I selected the 8MP + 8MP DNG though, because I'm shooting 4:3 ratio to get every pixel out of the sensor.

However, I only get the full sized JPEG, and a 11.3MB DNG file that is 800x600 in size. Looks like a preview DNG or something. Not sure what is going on here. The file size is in accordance with what you were reporting, but I'm only getting the 800x600 pixel image uncompressed.

I do believe the raw image file size is rather small for true raw images at any rate.

I tried again at 16:9 ratio at 6MP, and I'm getting an 800x448 image.

Please help me resolve this.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Rhap,
Sorry, he's not wrong. I talked with Gustav and he said that InterOp Tools should NOT be in Extra->Settings anymore since many versions of the tool ago.

Make sure you're using his most recent release:
https://mega.nz/#F!iZMhSSzI!sGQy4V12ubfvT8Abm2Uo1g

Also, your DNG file is the proper resolution. Check it out on your desktop using another program, or check it on mobile using Rawer or another RAW editor app. For whatever reason it appears that phones that are modded to shoot DNG do not report the resolution properly in Photos. All of my 4:3 DNG report 800x600 in Photos as well.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: Nevermind. It's NOT in the All Apps list as stated in the instructions from RumoredNow. It is in Settings -> Extras -> Interop Tools.

@RumoredNow: Please correct your instructions. ;)

When I first started looking at this, some were saying "hey it isn't in settings it is in all apps" so I believe as Saijin says that you have an old version of the tool.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, your DNG file is the proper resolution. Check it out on your desktop using another program, or check it on mobile using Rawer or another RAW editor app. For whatever reason it appears that phones that are modded to shoot DNG do not report the resolution properly in Photos. All of my 4:3 DNG report 800x600 in Photos as well.

Good to know... I've added that to the OP with credit to you. :cool:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Rhap,
Sorry, he's not wrong. I talked with Gustav and he said that InterOp Tools should NOT be in Extra->Settings anymore since many versions of the tool ago.

Make sure you're using his most recent release:
https://mega.nz/#F!iZMhSSzI!sGQy4V12ubfvT8Abm2Uo1g

Thanks for the link to the new version. I used the link in the article RumoredNow linked to, and it was an older version.

Everyone needs to be aware, though, that when using Rawer on my phone, it is reporting the correct resolution. Also, Fotor on my Laptop reports the correct resolution.

It seems that it is GIMP that is unable to get the correct resolution of the DNG. It loads it, but it loads a lower resolution of the photo. Not sure why. I'll have to convert it to something else before being able to use it in GIMP for editing, I suppose.

When I first started looking at this, some were saying "hey it isn't in settings it is in all apps" so I believe as Saijin says that you have an old version of the tool.

The newest version appears to have a regular version alongside a settings version that you can download. Personally, I prefer it to be in Settings, as I don't want my wife to accidentally invoke it when using my phone thinking, "I wonder what this is?"

EDIT: Just tried installing the Settings version. Not showing up in Settings anywhere. I'll install the regular one.

EDIT 2: Okay, it will install to settings if you want, but it has to be installed on local storage and not the SD card. Done and done.

Last edited:

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Don't feel too bad, Paint.NET can't load it at all.

Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows : Adobe DNG Codec 2.0 : Thank You

This gives you a system codec for DNG which allows Windows Photo Gallery & Windows Photo & Fax Viewer to open/view the RAW, and to enable you to convert it to another format. It reads the EXIF and metadata properly, and even loads it at the proper resolution.

As a bonus, Explorer/Shell will make DNG previews and allow you to do grouping/sorting/etc against the metadata, just like with other supported file types. Give 'er the ol' reboot after install to get Explorer/Shell metadata support, though thumbnailing/opening works without a reboot.
Untitled.png

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Is DNG overall better quality or it's useful only for editing with better quality
It will be better quality IF you process it right. However, you HAVE to process it. If you don't want to mess with that, stay with JPEG, as the W10 Camera does a fine job of post-processing in my eyes.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is DNG overall better quality or it's useful only for editing with better quality

A DNG file is just potential. It isn't an image. It is more or less just a dump file of the sensor data at the time of the shot. You need a program to convert it into a picture.

IMHO, it has more potential than a JPG which has already been converted from the sensor data by the algorithms of the camera app you are using... The app would cherry pick what it wants from the data and drop other stuff out (check the file sizes as reported). So processing the JPG naturally uses less data.

So the potential is greater for more good and more harm depending on how you process it.

Probably the best advantage of DNG/RAW is that it is the same every time you open it. JPG will deteriorate over time with every save done.

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site

People have explained very well already, but I would like to add some points here.

DNG is a raw format, it means the raw data camera sensor sees when the picture is taken. If you just open it in some tool you will find it very dull because all the JPG produced by cameras (it does not matter phone camera, point and shoot or DSLR) are post-processed by the built in algorithm already. The result makes most people feel good enough. Good but average.

If you browse Internet, such as 500px or flickr, you will see many very stunning pictures. Because they are heavily processed to adjust numerous parameters in a very advanced way. In this case raw file has huge advantage. Some of the commonly used post-processing techniques and concepts include: exposure compensation, contrast, tone curve, sharpening, tone mapping, tone splitting, color temperature adjustment, noise reduction, white balance adjustment and so on.

f you have interest you can find some decent tools to process raw files, it is a quite deep learning curve. It may take you awhile to get to the level camera does for you.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Like Hardy said, the learning curve is massive.

I can adjust color/tonality/contrast/levels/sharpening/etc super easy with RAW to get what I want. I'm used to this kind of post-processing workflow since I do it to every image I touch.

However, what I've YET to figure out is how to balance sharpening and noise reduction as well as the native JPG processor of the W10 Camera. Either I make my images soft and muddy, or they have ISO-noise. That is a superbly difficult balance to strike, in my experience so far.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Either I make my images soft and muddy, or they have ISO-noise. That is a superbly difficult balance to strike, in my experience so far.

I have found lighting and distance will have a profound effect on this. High ISO will have greater noise. You need good enough lighting to bring the ISO down to at least 100 or less to reduce the noise the sensor picks up. Less noise on the sensor = sharper image.

I mainly work with nature photography and portraits. For portraits, I have studio lighting that provides 28,000 lumens brightness at 6500K color temperature. Without it, there is far too much noise. With the nature photography, it's all daylight work, so again, low noise as long as the subjects are very close. Distant objects are just going to get grainy no matter what if you are using a phone camera. If you've got a good DSLR with quality Zoom lenses, then you'll be okay.

For me, I'm just using the RAW/DNG on my 640 for the times I do a bit of outdoor photography work and don't have a better camera with me, like when I'm visiting family and they decide they all want to take pictures outside on the rare times everyone shows up. Everyone takes turns getting pics with their phone, including me. Once I've processed, I share mine, and everyone is blown away wishing their phone could take those good pictures. We blew up the last one I did to a 12"x18" and framed it at the grandparents house. Looked as good as the paid portraits they already had on the wall. If I'd started with a JPG instead of DNG, there would have been too much noise to blow it up to that size. Even then, getting that size photo from a 1/4" sensor at 8MP was absolutely amazing.

Yeah, enjoying the raw processing so far. I've always been good at image processing, but have never worked with RAW images until now. I seem to have picked it up pretty good, or at least good enough I'm impressing some folks. Perhaps I'll post something after I finish moving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre