Photos of Photos? Help?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello, my parents have a lot of photo albums. Old albums where I can no longer peel off the plastic without damaging the photo. So I have to take photos of the photo. Is the any software that will help? I thought of Office Lens... But it's for documents. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Mr. V

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...
I thought Office Lens could scan photos.
That would be a lot of work using a phone if a lot of photos are involved.

I'd say a flatbed scanner is the answer if the album pages fit the scanner plate.

Also OneNote can take photo notes maybe that would work better.
Good luck there.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input!!!

I can use a flatbed scanner because I can't take the pages out of the album, so it does not fit flat - making scanning difficult.

There are a lot of photos..but someone has to do it....me...

Hmmm...
I thought Office Lens could scan photos.
That would be a lot of work using a phone if a lot of photos are involved.

I'd say a flatbed scanner is the answer if the album pages fit the scanner plate.

Also OneNote can take photo notes maybe that would work better.
Good luck there.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Why take pages out? Just put the album on the scanner and scan without closing the lid. If doesn't come out good, try in the dark room. I'd try that at least

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried the scanner, problem is, I am at my parents house who live a fair distance away - I have to fly there. The have an archaic epson all in one. I tried but the photo albums are very big, have these huge rings on them and the photos are old (some from the 50s) and delicate. It did not work in the scanner.

I figure I will have to take a photo of each page at a high resolution, then crop them out individually. I was hoping something like OneDrive had facial recognition so finding would be easier. Remember Picassa 3 - desktop version - it did it.

Anyhow, these are our family history - have to preserve them....on camera phone shot at a time!

Thanks for the input - keep it coming!

Why take pages out? Just put the album on the scanner and scan without closing the lid. If doesn't come out good, try in the dark room. I'd try that at least

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Google's PhotoScan actually works really well as I've used it on several occasions, does take some time and sadly not available for WP/WM. But if you got access to an Android or iDevice with decent camera that may be your answer.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey! Thanks for that info!
Bummer WP can't do it - and I don't actually own and Android devices....but will borrow one...

Google's PhotoScan actually works really well as I've used it on several occasions, does take some time and sadly not available for WP/WM. But if you got access to an Android or iDevice with decent camera that may be your answer.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
They made a great video!

A few days ago, on a whim, used PhotoScan to copy a 20"x24" portrait, no special setup or lighting yet the picture came out quite good, waaay better than could have been achieved by just snapping one picture w/camera. Smaller 4"x6" or 5"x7" are easier to work with with for obvious reasons so it's great for that, yet nice having ability for larger ones and still retaining a decent level of quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers