That 1 in 1000 Picture

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Inspired by this Guytronic thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/photography-lounge/453416-smartphone-camera-user-new-post.html

Ever get that one in a thousand shot? :cool:

I mean that special, all the stars aligned and you got lucky picture. You looked at the pic afterwards and thought, "I didn't take that, it's too good."

Post it here.
  • It will have been taken with a Windows Phone / W10M Device
  • Tell us the story
  • Tell us what phone
  • Tell us what App was used to capture it
  • Tell us what settings were used (if you remember)
  • Tell us any other tricks used pre-shot
  • NO post-shot processing except RAW to JPG without being retouched (we don't want forced brilliance, we want naturally occurring excellence)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: 1 in 1000

In October of 2015, my wife and I drove all over the Western US and one of the early stops was 3 full days at Yellowstone National Park. BTW, 3 days is not nearly enough, it's a bare minimum.

Everyone talks about Old Faithful, frankly I was underwhelmed by it. For me the money shot opportunity was actually Grand Prismatic. Next time, we'll take the long hike up the ridge to the southwest and get a bird's eye view.

In 2015 though, we went head on to see it at what is basically ground zero. I say ground zero because this thing is an impactful assault on the senses. The colors and majestic beauty of the thing and the massive forces gone into forming it, but also the huge clouds of sulfur gas roiling off of it. When the wind is wrong...

Naturally I had my Lumia 1520 for camera duty. IMHO it is the best travel aid/camera ever produced. Windows Phone 8.1 + Denim. Lumia Camera 5, forced HDR on this one. Here is the 5MP oversampled copy.

So as we approached it was clear that the wind was sending leisurely clouds of sulfurous stench right over the designated walkway. And don't leave that walkway, you could break through the crust and die in a boiling chemical bath. We tied bandannas over our mouths and noses like a couple of train robbers and went in. It was blinding and malodorous. Wave after wave of visible fumes engulfed us. All I could do was hold the 1520 over my head, pray and try to aim as I banged away on the shutter button. After about 2 minutes we had to beat a hasty retreat. That was Grand Prismatic.

IMHO, this one pic turned out very well, especially since it was shot "blind."

WP_20150926_13_15_51_Rich.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers