Cheering for ATIVS S Neo success

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As a HUGE fan of the Samsung Focus S, which was the best phone I ever owned, I am truly cheering for the Neo to be the surprise hit of WP 8 devices. I want to see Samsung stay in the fold. The Focus was arguably the best of the Generation 1 of WP7, and I could make an easy argument that the Focus S was only behind the Nokia 900 in Generation 2 of WP 7. For the most part, Sammy supports their devices well and stands behind what they deliver.

Also, I just think the small but loyal Sprint army deserves a great device. From the loyality to the WebOS devices owners (Sprint had the largest, longest lasting of that group), to the way the EVO series launched HTC to respect, and of course the abuse the Arrive users endured, it would just be amazing if this took off and stunned Samsung, Sprint, and the experts all at once.

I am willing to bet this bad boy fits the bill of a great device. I am all in on this underdog. Hard to call a Samsung device an underdog, but I got the feeling Sprint isn't going to throw a ton of advertising cash at this or the HTC. Just want it to shut up some WP critics once and for all, including some of those in the Sprint and Samsung front offices.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I hope for the best too.

I hope so too.

In my opinion, Samsung would really have a winner if they would have went with the Note chassis giving us the 5.5" screen to really make Office usable..

I have been a windows user from the beginning in 1996 with the Compaq C140, Philips Nino 312, Nino 500, Casio E200. Then to the Hitachi G1000 Pocket PC 2002 phone, AudioVox(HTC) PPC6601, Treo 700wx, HTC touch, Treo800w, HTC Snap, HTC Touch Pro2 to my current HTC Arrive. All on Sprint, been a customer since July 1999.

The main reason I stick with Windows is for Office, plus I feel it is more secure and stable than Android.
Android has me on the fence though, as both my Wifes Motorola Photon Q and the Samsung Note2 offer a dock to connect to external devices including drives and monitors that would allow me to do all on phone.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. I'm hoping much success for the NEO. It will be my next phone.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

stoickiwi

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Saying this as an employee of Sprint, I really want this device to succeed as well.
The main reason is that I am a WP ****** through and through.
I waited in line at 6am to get an HD7 in 2010 and have never looked back.
My fellow employees ridicule me for touting the arrive as they all have GS3s and HTC Ones.
I am so glad that this phone is coming to Sprint to show Sprint customers that the Arrive is not the end-all of Windows Phone.
When I got excited about these phones launching, everyone in the store talked about the Arrive.
I think this phone has a great chance to be successful on Sprint, especially with the mid-range price they've slapped on a high-end phone.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Saying this as an employee of Sprint, I really want this device to succeed as well.
The main reason is that I am a WP ****** through and through.
I waited in line at 6am to get an HD7 in 2010 and have never looked back.
My fellow employees ridicule me for touting the arrive as they all have GS3s and HTC Ones.
I am so glad that this phone is coming to Sprint to show Sprint customers that the Arrive is not the end-all of Windows Phone.
When I got excited about these phones launching, everyone in the store talked about the Arrive.
I think this phone has a great chance to be successful on Sprint, especially with the mid-range price they've slapped on a high-end phone.

Unfortunately, that is not a mid range price.. I think the 8xt should be free and the Samsung 100 max and skip the stupid rebates that everybody hates. Best Buy, Radio shack and even my sprint store have canned the rebates and just offer the phone at the lower price.

AiR DEGETA

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree they should just launch the Neo at $100. I usually go to my Sprint store to do all my upgrades but if Best Buy have the Phone for $100 without a rebate then I'm getting it from there. Cause I could be mistake but it sounds like it would be $199 then your mail-in rebate brings it to $149. I love Sprint and I rarely bash them but we waited a long time for these device and to get them at these prices are kind of a insult. If anyone should be getting WP8 devices for dirt cheap it should be us Arrive users, especially since they're the last major carrier to carry WP8 devices.

stoickiwi

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, that is not a mid range price.. I think the 8xt should be free and the Samsung 100 max and skip the stupid rebates that everybody hates. Best Buy, Radio shack and even my sprint store have canned the rebates and just offer the phone at the lower price.

Do I think the ATIV S Neo is too expensive? Yes. (Especially for a phone that is based on 1 year old tech)
Should it be $100? Probably.
Would I buy it regardless of price? Certainly.

Also, I'm with you 100%, mail-in rebates are stupid and terrible. If only every person mailed them in, they would go away.
But just saying, usually anything under $100 is low-end, $100-199 mid-range, and $200+ is high end.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree with mail in rebates. A ton of carriers/companies in all walks of life make them very difficult to get. Cut this out, staple this to the receipt, photocopy this in triplicate and jump through this flaming hoop. Then you get your 50$.

I am not to worried about the Neo's price, I think it could sell at that level and also there will be deals everywhere. I am worried about support. If Sprint just tries to promote it, I think they would be pleasantly surprised.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, Samsung would really have a winner if they would have went with the Note chassis giving us the 5.5" screen to really make Office usable..

Problem with that was that Windows Phone didn't really support those screen sizes, starting from the low resolution limits by Microsoft. Why nobody made phablets for Windows Phone 8.
Why you will see "plenty" of phablets from Windows Phone when GDR3 is released.

AiR DEGETA

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree with mail in rebates. A ton of carriers/companies in all walks of life make them very difficult to get. Cut this out, staple this to the receipt, photocopy this in triplicate and jump through this flaming hoop. Then you get your 50$.

I am not to worried about the Neo's price, I think it could sell at that level and also there will be deals everywhere. I am worried about support. If Sprint just tries to promote it, I think they would be pleasantly surprised.

You forget rescue the Princess from The Dragon with no armor.

adamyedlin

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually there are good reasons why you use mail in rebates. I worked for Sprint for a long time, and for a while there we did away with mail in rebates, and it seemed like a good idea. People would get the free phones, pay no deposit, blah blah blah... and magically... the vast majority of them NEVER paid their bill! So not only was I out my commission, Sprint was out all the money it cost to pay me my hourly wage while I was 'selling' the phone, plus the cost of the phone (which cost a few hundred dollars), AND they were out all the money it cost to activate the new number. When people get things for free, they don't care what happens to it. Having no mail in rebates is simply bad business. Third party stores take a huge risk when they don't do mail in rebates, because of the way the have to do business. (and before I get all the "well that isn't always true" stuff... yeah I know, there are always exceptions) Sprint's mail in rebate process is the easiest thing in the world, staple the receipt to the rebate form, fill in some boxes, and mail it out, I don't think it can get any easier than that.

AiR DEGETA

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually there are good reasons why you use mail in rebates. I worked for Sprint for a long time, and for a while there we did away with mail in rebates, and it seemed like a good idea. People would get the free phones, pay no deposit, blah blah blah... and magically... the vast majority of them NEVER paid their bill! So not only was I out my commission, Sprint was out all the money it cost to pay me my hourly wage while I was 'selling' the phone, plus the cost of the phone (which cost a few hundred dollars), AND they were out all the money it cost to activate the new number. When people get things for free, they don't care what happens to it. Having no mail in rebates is simply bad business. Third party stores take a huge risk when they don't do mail in rebates, because of the way the have to do business. (and before I get all the "well that isn't always true" stuff... yeah I know, there are always exceptions) Sprint's mail in rebate process is the easiest thing in the world, staple the receipt to the rebate form, fill in some boxes, and mail it out, I don't think it can get any easier than that.

Well I do see your point about people not paying their bill and hurting business, and I must admit Sprint is one of the FEW companies that their rebate process is VERY SIMPLE. Hell the associate I had when I needed to fill mine out copied my receipt for me & stapled my receipt to the rebate form and walked me through filling it out, all I had to do was get an envelope and a stamp. But on the other hand I had Sprint for going on 8 years and always kept my account in good standings. It would be nice due to my loyalty I get some privileges like not having to do a "mail-in rebate" to get the device for the advertised and/or a better discount for a new device. The mail-in rebate should be for customers that are new or current customers with a bad account history.

adamyedlin

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with that. After a certain point when someone has been with the company for years and years, yeah, there should be a few perks. I don't see doing away with mail in rebates, but I can see waiving activation fees for someone that has been with the company for at least six years. I used to do everything for people, so all they had to do was put a stamp on an envelope, because I hated dealing with people who would come back and complain because they didn't get their rebate back in the mail. It's amazing what happens when you inform people and set expectations.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I get the same courtesy with rebate forms ay my Sprint store. I still agree that for us longtime customers (10+yrs) we can avoid the upfront fees.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I plan on this being my next phone (currently holding on to my Arrive) but I definately agree that $150 is a steep asking price. I almost jumped ship and went to Verizon for the L928 which one could argue may be a better phone and costs waay less than the Neo will. While I would love to get this phone day 1, I will probably wait a bit until other stores are offering deals on the phone.

Of course, knowing Sprint it will be another 2 - 3 months before the phone is available. I hate Sprint but I am on a family unlimited plan and it would be too expensive to go elsewhere.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 928 is a device which also has one year old specs except for the camera, so what is your point?

Have in mind meeting true Qualcomm CDMA standards, and getting components which are compatible for LTE band 25, as well as SMR 800MHz/PCS 190Hz bands for Sprint's CDMA network (which as of June 1st is Qualcomm CDMA 4.0 certfied) is not cheap. Also have in mind the form of LTE Advance Sprint will roll out will be more in line with international carriers compared to the other major three.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Problem with that was that Windows Phone didn't really support those screen sizes, starting from the low resolution limits by Microsoft. Why nobody made phablets for Windows Phone 8.
Why you will see "plenty" of phablets from Windows Phone when GDR3 is released.

I will most likely buy the Neo for built in office, but the 5.5 inch screen on the Note 2 is enticing.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
The Lumia 928 is a device which also has one year old specs except for the camera, so what is your point?

Have in mind meeting true Qualcomm CDMA standards, and getting components which are compatible for LTE band 25, as well as SMR 800MHz/PCS 190Hz bands for Sprint's CDMA network (which as of June 1st is Qualcomm CDMA 4.0 certfied) is not cheap. Also have in mind the form of LTE Advance Sprint will roll out will be more in line with international carriers compared to the other major three.

Will this phone have those abilities? I have herd that the first phones to have those bands won't come out until fall.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There have been several devices which support SMR 800MHz since the original HTC Evo. Sprint prepared for this some time ago, knowing it was a matter of time on when the FCC would allow the transition for the SMR 800MHz from iDen to CDMA2000

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb