Is there a 'right' microSD card to buy?

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would think any decent class 10 will be more than good enough. It doesn't need to be fantastic considering you are using it for pictures/videos/music and not running apps.

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I would think any decent class 10 will be more than good enough. It doesn't need to be fantastic considering you are using it for pictures/videos/music and not running apps.

I noticed in a different thread that someone was having slow camera speeds and narrowed it down to writing the photos to the sd card. This says to me that write speed does matter. As you said, a class 10 card but it may be worth looking for a class 10 with a faster write speed than some of the el cheapo cards.

TheNexxuvas

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Currently using the 64Gig Sandisk from my Android demos, works great and no slow down on picture taking. It's that class after 10, UHF or UHC, can't remember. Newegg and Amazon keep dumping the prices of those to $35-$40 lately. Pick one up.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I just got my ATIV Neo yesterday and I'm looking into getting a microSD card for it. Has anyone found a good card that delivers good performance? Maybe a certain class rating, brand, etc.? I'm was looking at a Sandisk 16GB microSD Ultra class 10 (Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 16 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-016G-AFFP-A): Electronics) but I figured I'd throw my question here first!

Thanks in advance.

I bought the 64 GB version of that same card and I can't get it to work. The phone recognizes the card and music, videos, and pictures are set to be stored on the SD card in the settings, but they're still getting stored on internal storage. Also tried creating a folder on the SD card using Pocket File Manager and I get the message "Creating folders is not supported in this location". Not sure what the issue is, but I'm thinking I may try the 32 GB version to see if it's an issue with the 64 GB version.

-Skippy

madthoughts

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that was me with the camera problems. I think the SD card I had (an ancient one that came with my HTC EVO 3D) had slow speeds. I'd recommend only using the SD card for music, videos and keep the device hard drive for pictures. Otherwise, you might have 3-5 second delays between taking camera shots.

madthoughts

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
There is a setting somewhere in there, phone storage I believe, where you have to tell the device to start saving everything on the SD card.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There is a setting somewhere in there, phone storage I believe, where you have to tell the device to start saving everything on the SD card.

If this response is directed at me, then yes, I've already made sure <Settings/Phone Storage/Store new music + Video and Store new pictures> is set to SD card. Pictures taken still are stored on internal storage.

-Skippy

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 64 GB version of that same card and I can't get it to work. The phone recognizes the card and music, videos, and pictures are set to be stored on the SD card in the settings, but they're still getting stored on internal storage. Also tried creating a folder on the SD card using Pocket File Manager and I get the message "Creating folders is not supported in this location". Not sure what the issue is, but I'm thinking I may try the 32 GB version to see if it's an issue with the 64 GB version.

-Skippy

Correction, the 64GB card was actually working fine. I was assuming that it was not when I couldn't see anything stored on the card in Pocket File Manager, and I had expected to see a different folder in the photos app for the SD Card if photos were being saved on the card. Well, Pocket File Manager can't see the media folders on the SD Card due to the lack of APIs available to developers, and the Photos app does not distinguish between photos in internal storage and an SD card.

If you plug your phone into a computer and browser the Internal and SD card, you then can see what's stored where.

So, the 64GB version of the SanDisk card mentioned by the OP works fine (for me anyway).

-Skippy

flyedf

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
got this for $40 (after $15 mail in rebate), but newegg sold out. Patriot LX Series 64GB Class 10 Micro SDXC Flash Card Kit With SD & USB 2.0 Adapter Model PSF64GMCSXC10UK. just put it and worked right away.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Anything above a class 2 is perfectly sufficient for this phone. Class 2 isn't high enough for recording hi-def videos without a little stutter, but I mean I'm using a 32gb Sandisk class 4 card I got at Walmart for dirt cheap and believe me I use it. I do not wait at all for my music to load up and switch quickly between songs, and I've taken videos of my daughter playing and whatnot that have no problems whatsoever.
The moral of the story: if it's a brand you've heard of, is available in normal retail channels, and is at least class 4, you and your smartphone will be happy. Cases like the 41MP camera in the 1020 and for cameras like DSLRs and whatnot are the only reason you would need something much higher than a class 4, the Ativ Neo here isn't going to be doing anything that needs or really utilizes a higher SD read/write speed anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon