Has anyone updated their S Neo to WP 8.1 Update (GDR1)?

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I lost data usage and had to get a new handset unfortunately with the Developers App.

​I assume you meant "without" the DP app. Just go through the steps to reinstall it. It takes less than 10 minutes and then your phone will be much better with 8.1.1.

edit: I should also point out that since you are on Sprint (like me) you will probably never get the "official" updates. May as well go the DP route then.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
​I assume you meant "without" the DP app. Just go through the steps to reinstall it. It takes less than 10 minutes and then your phone will be much better with 8.1.1.

edit: I should also point out that since you are on Sprint (like me) you will probably never get the "official" updates. May as well go the DP route then.

I don't know if the "official" update will come but a Microsoft store worker told me it will happen around the end of the month to mid September.

JRLSail

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Running on S Neo (ATT) and use it as my main phone. Everything seems to work well except for the live lock feature. I've put it through some serious tests. As a comparison to IOS 7 and A4.3, WP8.1 is a clear contender. I would move back to another OS before leaving the device on 8.

Battery life is still suspect. The first Dev Release extended the bat life. Now its a crap shoot. sometimes good, sometimes i still get apps running and heating up the phone and kills the battery in no time. Still testing as many apps as possible.

If you use Exchange, i believe there is no better mobile integration right now that 8.1 hands down.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
DP 8.1 GDR1 works amazingly well on the Neo. However, due to Samsung's lack of initiative to push out the official firmware, GDR1 broke two main phone features. Nothing that can't be worked around but still irritating:

1. Either at the start or if you hard reset after the update (if you don't experience this DO NOT HARD RESET) the MMS apn is totally fried. Even if you enter it manually, no apn you try (at least for ATT) will work. So your phone cannot send or receive MMS messages anymore until Samsung gets off its ***.

2. This one is more minor and just causes device pairing issues. The name of the phone as well as the main ringtone will reset every time you turn the phone off and on. Creates hell for bluetooth recognition and it took me a while to figure this out after my devices were not pairing automatically anymore.

As well, sometimes your apn for internet will randomly delete itself. Re add it and it works fine again. Also, i've noticed some wifi will not connect automatically anymore. This is rare but it happens once in a while.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

what I meant to say was with the DP I had lost data usage, and had to get the phone replaced.

The new phone does not have the DP thus it is still on 8.0.

The issue is I can just use DP to get 8.1, but once again risk losing data and having to get another phone again, which I'm hearing is what happens with the NEO on Sprint.

I'm surprised there is no official update yet.

Bruce Lofland

May 4, 2013
Visit site
The space issue was a persistent problem even without wanting to go to GDR1, so I did a hard reset anyway. I managed to get back my APN and MMS (I'm on Sprint), so the only thing that does not work is the Internet connection sharing that I signed up for with my carrier. I can live with that for now. So now my storage problem is fixed and I have GDR1. :) It also seemed to fixed some problems I was having with a bluetooth connection to an OBDII connector in my car. Hopefully when the firmware update is released from Samsung, it will fix my hotspot capability.

premsta

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
8.1 GDR1 is generally working OK on my Sprint Ativ S Neo. One thing I noticed, though...in previous DP revisions of 8.1, even though the network profile setting was not accessible from any settings screen, you could use Cortana to search the phone for "network profile" and find it. With 8.1 GDR1, I can't find my network profile setting any more.

Summer is almost over, Sprint...any word on when we will be officially updated to 8.1?

-

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
8.1 GDR1 is generally working OK on my Sprint Ativ S Neo. One thing I noticed, though...in previous DP revisions of 8.1, even though the network profile setting was not accessible from any settings screen, you could use Cortana to search the phone for "network profile" and find it. With 8.1 GDR1, I can't find my network profile setting any more.

Summer is almost over, Sprint...any word on when we will be officially updated to 8.1?

-

go to the Sprint website forums and post this question there. You'll get the same response as you'll get here, nothing.

Actually they'll just refer you to their newsroom which also gives you nothing.

KEB64

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

-

Network profile can be updated remotely by having Sprint push your services to you. Not ideal, I know. I have had to do this twice. Once after a factory reset and once after trying the profile update via dial code. FYI after they push service to you, you will need to use the "activate your device" setting.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if the "official" update will come but a Microsoft store worker told me it will happen around the end of the month to mid September.
Well I waited until October and nada so I took the DP plunge, I'm on Sprint by the way. So far the only issues I've noticed are the dot that shows me on the map doesn't move anymore unless I touch the screen. Had a Bluetooth issue where I was connected to my Bluetooth headset and started Pandora but then swiped down via the notification center and turned off Bluetooth. After that Pandora wouldn't work and Cortana couldn't hear me. Here's the OS version 8.10.14176.243
As for the official update seeing that AT&T's Neo and Verizon's ATIV SE hasn't been updated then I'd say it's Samsung holding things up.

AgentDelta

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well I waited until October and nada so I took the DP plunge, I'm on Sprint by the way. So far the only issues I've noticed are the dot that shows me on the map doesn't move anymore unless I touch the screen. Had a Bluetooth issue where I was connected to my Bluetooth headset and started Pandora but then swiped down via the notification center and turned off Bluetooth. After that Pandora wouldn't work and Cortana couldn't hear me. Here's the OS version 8.10.14176.243
As for the official update seeing that AT&T's Neo and Verizon's ATIV SE hasn't been updated then I'd say it's Samsung holding things up.

Any problems sending or receiving MMS?

Final-MacGyver

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I get my phone tomorrow from sprint, switched back from att because of service issues where I live. Should I update to 8.1? I'm reading a lot on here and the mms issue concerns me? Does everyone experience this or is something that they've done causing this?

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I get my phone tomorrow from sprint, switched back from att because of service issues where I live. Should I update to 8.1? I'm reading a lot on here and the mms issue concerns me? Does everyone experience this or is something that they've done causing this?

​Hard reset seems to cause this. Otherwise it is pretty safe to update through the Dev Preview program.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster