8.1 on Samsung ATIV S NEO?

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you go to xdadevelopers site and type sph-i800 download, you will find the files to reset your phone to stock if it helps, easy to do.
But is it necessary? Do we have to revert to stock before reeving the official update, or can we simply apply the update to our current DP version?

-Skippy

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
But is it necessary? Do we have to revert to stock before reeving the official update, or can we simply apply the update to our current DP version?

-Skippy

​Shouldn't need to revert. The update process should grab anything you don't already have (which is available of course) and apply it. This was what Microsoft promised when the DP was first released.

Benito Sifuentes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Here is a question though.. Will we get the update if we hard reset and lost our mobile carrier data? As my picture shows below.

wp_ss_20141206_0001.png

Edit 1: I just flashed back to Windows Phone 8 so I can grab the official

UPDATE: I kept checking for two days to see if my phone would get the official windows phone 8.1 update while on DP and I never got it.. After I flashed back the phone found the official update from sprint right away. I am guessing because my cellular data was gone from sprint I was unable to get any official updates from them. I would recommend flashing back to get the official if you are still running DP and have not gotten it yet

After the flash back:
wp_ss_20141206_0002.png
wp_ss_20141206_0003.png

Last edited:

lotinib

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone who has DP but did not hard reset gotten the firmware update through normal channels yet? I still am not seeing it and wondering if the flash described above would be necessary since I never hard reset with dP and have normal mobile carrier data. Does it really take this long for the update to roll out OTA?

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I can verify that having to revert off of the Dev Preview to GDR3 (via the xda method listed above) then activating properly on GDR3 then doing normal Sprint/Samsung-sanctioned updates will get things going perfect. You'll have to do the previous firmware update before the current one which seems to be bundled with Sprint's 8.1 update.

I can also validate that hard resetting once you're on the official Sprint 8.1 update is ok and the phone will properly download Sprint's provisioning so you'll be able to do MMS and everything. I did that first thing after I got the Sprint 8.1 update. My phone now runs better than it ever has before. Sprint and Samsung seems to have streamlined things perfectly.

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Getting a bit irritated. Still waiting for the official update and firmware. I am running the DP. Microsoft said you would still get firmware updates when they are release, so I don't get why it won't come through.

I am thinking at this point about doing the revert and going through the whole upgrade process. Hoping it is not too painful.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's sounding like we need to flash back to stock 8.0 to get the official 8.1 update.
What are the pitfalls to doing this?
What get's wiped out that needs to be backed up (pics/vids not on micro SD card, text message history, e-mail account setups, etc)?
I assume you loose all your WiFi connections and they all have to be setup again? Same for Bluetooth?
Home screen layout is lost?
Do you to re-register the phone with Sprint's network?
What else?

-Skippy

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I flashed my phone using the SPH-I800 rom I found on XDA. My phone no longer gets 4G and does not show Sprint in the cellular & sim settings. Benito Sifuentes can you provide the link to the rom you used?

Benito Sifuentes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I flashed my phone using the SPH-I800 rom I found on XDA. My phone no longer gets 4G and does not show Sprint in the cellular & sim settings. Benito Sifuentes can you provide the link to the rom you used?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...63&authkey=!ACfUef6xvtQJQyI&ithint=folder,exe
Yeah buddy these are the three files I used for my flash back.. ensure if you on windows 8.1 or 8 to allow unsigned drivers

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)
unsigned drivers

lotinib

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
It's sounding like we need to flash back to stock 8.0 to get the official 8.1 update.
What are the pitfalls to doing this?
What get's wiped out that needs to be backed up (pics/vids not on micro SD card, text message history, e-mail account setups, etc)?
I assume you loose all your WiFi connections and they all have to be setup again? Same for Bluetooth?
Home screen layout is lost?
Do you to re-register the phone with Sprint's network?
What else?

-Skippy

I agree - I thought Microsoft had said that we would get official firmware on top of DP when released by the carrier. Is there a reason we need to flash in this case? A little reluctant to do that and have something get messed up in the process, not to mention the inconvenience!

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...63&authkey=!ACfUef6xvtQJQyI&ithint=folder,exe
Yeah buddy these are the three files I used for my flash back.. ensure if you on windows 8.1 or 8 to allow unsigned drivers

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)
unsigned drivers

You da man!

Although, I think those are the exact same files I used. I even did a reset after flashing and it still doesn't recognize it as being Sprint, I don't get 4G, I lost my roaming options, and there are no updates available!!!

This is worse than not getting the newest firmware.

I am downloading the files you uploaded and will try again just in case. Thanks.

edit: I flashed again using the files you provided me with. Then I did a network PRL update. Now I show as being on Sprint and I am currently downloading some sort of update. Hopefully this is it.

edit 2: For those wondering what you lose, I will try and update with what I notice once I make it back to 8.1.

Last edited:

Benito Sifuentes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
You da man!

Although, I think those are the exact same files I used. I even did a reset after flashing and it still doesn't recognize it as being Sprint, I don't get 4G, I lost my roaming options, and there are no updates available!!!

This is worse than not getting the newest firmware.

I am downloading the files you uploaded and will try again just in case. Thanks.

edit: I flashed again using the files you provided me with. Then I did a network PRL update. Now I show as being on Sprint and I am currently downloading some sort of update. Hopefully this is it.

edit 2: For those wondering what you lose, I will try and update with what I notice once I make it back to 8.1.

So it work? if so good to hear

pwgs

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Saved me... Thanks..works like a charm!

Edit: after 24 hour running this process my phone is running perfect. I cannot find any issues and this has never happen with this phone before... Very Happy, Lots of work to restore it this way but worth it.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
So it work? if so good to hear

Yup, it's working now.

For those wondering about what you lose. Here is my process and what I wound up with.

1. Manually ran phone backups in Settings
  2. Reflashed phone
  3. Did NOT restore from a backup when prompted
  4. Updated PRL to get it showing Sprint again
  5. Checked for updates and installed the multiple updates provided.
  6. Still didn't restore from backup
  7. Settings>About>Reset
    1. Don't erase SD card
  8. This time I did restore from backup. Boy did this take a long time. Make sure you have WiFi before you do the reset and restore. If you start the restore without connecting to WiFi you can't change your mind.

Things I have seen be restored.
  • Text messages.
    • These take a while to restore so don't expect them to show up immediately.
  • Accounts
    • You have to enter passwords, otherwise they restore just fine
  • Apps
    • The system restores the apps and even recreates live tiles for almost all of them.
    • Some apps restore their data and others don't. I assume this is due to not all of them participating in the app backup system.
    • Any apps you have installed to your microSD card will be deleted by the phone as it thinks they are from another phone. They all need to be reinstalled.
  • Start Screen
    • Accent color did not restore but that is because I have the Theme backup turned off.
    • Live tiles almost all restored
  • Cortana
    • Everything seems to be there. Home, Work, Interests
  • I know there is more but I am drawing a blank right now

I am in the process of applying the new DP updates now to get my phone back to where it was. I was pretty happy to see though that Sprint and Samsung not only provided 8.1 but also update 1 with live folders.

​If anyone wants me to check on whether something specific was lost go ahead and ask.

Last edited:

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Nice icthusman1, thank you for the information. Now I have to decide if I want to take the time to go through all this.

How's the phone running with the official update?

-Skippy

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Nice icthusman1, thank you for the information. Now I have to decide if I want to take the time to go through all this.

-Skippy

Once it finished restoring everything it ran much smoother than it had been running. It's been a lot of work, but I think it might be worth it. I need some more time to play with it to know for sure though.

I've been needing to do this for a long time anyways. The battery saver app stopped working for me 7 or 8 months ago and a hard reset was the only solution anyone had for it. I didn't want to do that since it would have mucked with the phone. Now battery saver is working, I can actually manage background apps again and see their usage.

On another note, why for all that is good and holy is Facebook on my phone? I guess that must be baked in to the GDR3 rom? Well, it's gone now. Stupid Facebook.

Benito Sifuentes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

-Skippy

Hey Skippy to add onto what icthusman1 has said about restoring.. There are a few things I am happy about flashing back to get the official.. I got my MMS and group text messaging back but the biggest one I have to say is if you reset your phone.. Your ringtone stays the same and doesn't go back to Over the Horizon!! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99