8.1 on Samsung ATIV S NEO?

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Once it finished restoring everything it ran much smoother than it had been running. It's been a lot of work, but I think it might be worth it. I need some more time to play with it to know for sure though.

I've been needing to do this for a long time anyways. The battery saver app stopped working for me 7 or 8 months ago and a hard reset was the only solution anyone had for it. I didn't want to do that since it would have mucked with the phone. Now battery saver is working, I can actually manage background apps again and see their usage.

On another note, why for all that is good and holy is Facebook on my phone? I guess that must be baked in to the GDR3 rom? Well, it's gone now. Stupid Facebook.

Thanks again icthusman1. I've actually had no problems with the battery saver app and I'm still able to manage background apps and see usage. However, I'm still thinking it would be a good idea to revert back and get the official update.

Oh, and like you, the first thing I'd do is delete Facebook!

Hey Skippy to add onto what icthusman1 has said about restoring.. There are a few things I am happy about flashing back to get the official.. I got my MMS and group text messaging back but the biggest one I have to say is if you reset your phone.. Your ringtone stays the same and doesn't go back to Over the Horizon!! :D
Thanks for the additional information, but I haven't lost my MMS and group text messaging and I don't have any problems with losing my ringtone.

I've actually had zero issues with the developer preview.

-Skippy

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey Skippy to add onto what icthusman1 has said about restoring.. There are a few things I am happy about flashing back to get the official.. I got my MMS and group text messaging back but the biggest one I have to say is if you reset your phone.. Your ringtone stays the same and doesn't go back to Over the Horizon!! :D

​My ringtones got reset.

unrealreality

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can say that by following the instructions in this thread and using Benito's files (THANK YOU! Too many non-US files on XDA. good to know this was for Sprint US), and after a long while flashing, updating, updating, updating, downloading, restoring (which is still occuring), everything seems to be perfect!

8.1 with live folders and full Sprint setup even after a hard reset. Thanks to everyone on here for the guides. It seems you DO need to flash it back from DP to stock to get it to take.

Takigu

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I can also confirm that flashing back to stock will get you the official 8.1 update. Also my phone is working better than ever

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, last night I finally took the plunge and reverted back to the stock ROM and then received the official WP8.1 update. I used the files provided by Benito Sifuentes and followed the steps from icthusman1 and the steps for using the ROM flashing tool from the XDA Developers site. Everything went pretty smooth and I'm up and running now. Just to note for anyone looking to do this, it takes several hours to complete the whole process. So, make sure you have a good chunk of time set aside.

Thank you everyone for your input and a special thanks to Benito Sifuentes and icthusman1 for the information you provided!

-Skippy

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, last night I finally took the plunge and reverted back to the stock ROM and then received the official WP8.1 update. I used the files provided by Benito Sifuentes and followed the steps from icthusman1 and the steps for using the ROM flashing tool from the XDA Developers site. Everything went pretty smooth and I'm up and running now. Just to note for anyone looking to do this, it takes several hours to complete the whole process. So, make sure you have a good chunk of time set aside.

Thank you everyone for your input and a special thanks to Benito Sifuentes and icthusman1 for the information you provided!

-Skippy

I would add that you should do this in the evening so that your phone can install all your apps overnight. I have waaaaayyyyyy too many apps on my phone and it took many hours to get everything downloaded and installed.

The flashing process only takes 5 - 10 minutes. Everything after that is downloading and installing the phone updates which can take a while. Then restoring data which takes a while. The final restore process though gets to be pretty hands off at the end and you can just let it do it's thing.

lotinib

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but I can't seem to find the instructions on search - how exactly do you "flash" the ROM using the files linked here? Thanks!!

Benito Sifuentes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but I can't seem to find the instructions on search - how exactly do you "flash" the ROM using the files linked here? Thanks!!

1. Download the flashtool + driver and Rom with CSC file that I have provided.
2. Install the SamsungUSBDriver (note this may require you to disable driver signature for windows 8 and 8.1 I provided a link for this as well)
3. Put your phone in download mode (Power off phone.. press and hold volume up and camera button and turn on the phone while holding the button combo it should turn on and say download mode)
4. Start the flashtool and load the Rom (.WP8 file) and csc file into the flashtool. There will be two folders where you load these into. The first folder is the yellow folder where you load the Rom (.WP8 file) and the second is a green folder where you load the CSC file.
5. Choose ALL under your DL Options for the flashtool.
6. Plug in your phone to your PC
7. Press start in the flashtool (note if you cannot press start, then something went wrong with the drivers, or the phones connection to the PC).

The flashtime took me about 10 mins to do but like what icthusman1 says downloading all the updates and all your apps again is a pain in the *** lol.

Also note that I am providing you these files and tutorial but I am not held responsible for any damage to your device. Follow the instructions and nothing should happen. If something comes up take a screenshot and upload it here so we can help you.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
OK so can somebody tell me how to get my phone out of "Download" mode?? Something went wrong and I'm tired of fooling with it tonight but I don't know how to get it back to normal.

lotinib

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for those detailed instructions!. Guess I will need to set aside a good chunk of time to do all this then. Btw, is there any explanation for why DP blocks the firmware update and any chance it will come through in the future on its own?

Benito Sifuentes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
OK so can somebody tell me how to get my phone out of "Download" mode?? Something went wrong and I'm tired of fooling with it tonight but I don't know how to get it back to normal.

I just popped out my battery left it out for a few minutes then put it back in. What went wrong? Were you flashing and something went wrong or did the flashtool not recognize your phone? I would suggest using Windows 7 if you have a computer with it. Windows 8 can have issues with it sometimes.

Thanks for those detailed instructions!. Guess I will need to set aside a good chunk of time to do all this then. Btw, is there any explanation for why DP blocks the firmware update and any chance it will come through in the future on its own?

Not sure... I think I never received it because i lost my carrier data after the DP I hard reset.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I ended up taking the battery out and it's back to normal. I got all the files together and I am using Windows 7 but the "start" button never activated. So I don't know what went wrong.

Benito Sifuentes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I ended up taking the battery out and it's back to normal. I got all the files together and I am using Windows 7 but the "start" button never activated. So I don't know what went wrong.

Sounds like the Samsung USB Driver didn't get installed correctly uninstall them and reinstall them try again

Last edited:

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Interesting, I'm also using Windows 7 and the start button wasn't available to me either at first. I was actually looking at my phone, trying to figure out how I could get it out of download mode, when I looked back up and saw it had become available. Don't know why it took so long, but it did eventually work. One thing I did, which I don't know if it will help or not, but I installed the Samsung drivers after already opening and setting up the flash tool. This could be the reason the start button took some time to become active for me.

Hopefully you get it worked out.

-Skippy

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, I'm also using Windows 7 and the start button wasn't available to me either at first. I was actually looking at my phone, trying to figure out how I could get it out of download mode, when I looked back up and saw it had become available. Don't know why it took so long, but it did eventually work. One thing I did, which I don't know if it will help or not, but I installed the Samsung drivers after already opening and setting up the flash tool. This could be the reason the start button took some time to become active for me.

Hopefully you get it worked out.

-Skippy

When you plugged your phone in did your computer make a funny noise? Mine makes a what I would describe as an "error' noise but there's nothing on screen. Anyway I'll have another go at it tonight.

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
No explanation I have seen. Microsoft says (has said since the beginning) that the DP will NOT block firmware updates. But, Sprint kinda hates Windows phone a little so maybe they did something on their end?

NuAngel

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
FIXED!! I am still too new here to post a link, but I have compiled the necessary files and written a very thorough guide on my website. Just search for my username and google (it's the NET not the COM). If someone else could post the direct URL, I'd appreciate it. I'm genuinely just trying to help, not spam my own website around, that's why I put everything in one location!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb