Advantages of Ativ S over Lumia 920

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I really doubt that for a few reasons.

One, Nokia already said why they used that screen in an interview and they mentioned something about it being ridiculously fast, which is consistent with OLED displays.

Two, Samsung and Sony are display veterans and Sony's best medical surgery monitor is OLED and Samsung chooses OLED displays for their high end phones despite having amazing LCD options like the one on the Galaxy camera. However, they do use LCD for most of their tablets including the amazing Nexus 10 display.

Third, there are plenty of nice LCD screens they could have used for their lower end phones. HTC for example could have used the Rezound or Sensation screen for the One S. Besides, I wouldn't call the One S that much lower than the One X since they used the same internals and aluminum for the One S. Nokia could have used the Lumi 710 screen for their lower end models. Also, Nokia used AMOLED for their high end 2011 models like the N9, Lumia 800, and Lumia 900 and they used the LCD for the lower end 710 and 610. So I highly doubt they suddenly pulled a 180 after one year.
Nokia is using AMOLED on their lowest end Lumia 505. So yes, AMOLED is now relegated to low end phones now. IPS is simply the better option

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Counter argument: Samsung focus flash-overheated, proximity sensor locked the phone up consistently, came apart if you looked at it wrong. I had one, I know. So don't claim "any" Samsung product.

I did not have any of these issues... And had the phone for a year. It was flawless, and turned heads. Not an issue in sight for me.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I did not have any of these issues... And had the phone for a year. It was flawless, and turned heads. Not an issue in sight for me.

That's my point. You can bad-mouth any product. My flash worked well for a year, but near the end of the year the battery was going, wouldn't hold a charge for more than about 5 hours. The back popped off if you breathed on it wrong. The proximity sensor was fixed when i forced the tango update. But I was getting at that you can have problems with a product from any manufacturer.

Good alternative example, most people call Honda a reliable car company, I personally know several people that have lemon lawed their cars.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is using AMOLED on their lowest end Lumia 505. So yes, AMOLED is now relegated to low end phones now. IPS is simply the better option

Yes, ignore the fact where I stated that the most advanced surgery monitor, where lives depend on the colour, contrast, accuracy is OLED. Yes, IPS is simply better.......

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The advantage of the ATIV S over the Nokia Lumia 920 for me. Well there's two.
1) Removable Battery. I go through two batteries a day with my HTC TITAN because I am tethering so much.
2) microSD expansion slot. Good addition, gives the phone some real room to breathe. Of course I've only used 8GB on my HTC but on my next phone I'll probably use some more.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Indeed it does :p

External storage is important for people who use their phone for music and who take pictures and videos often.

QFT. Had ~ 40GB on my Focus, I'm dying with the 16 on my L900. Have maxed it out twice. Holding out for the ATIV S mainly for this reason.

gman1868

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
It's a great phone and we want one! Unfortunately they aren't available in the US on AT&T. wtf? Samsung needs to get their poop in a group.

1point8T

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I had my ATIV S for a little less than two weeks without any issues and last night it just went crazy. When I took the phone out of my pocket it managed to turn itself off. After pulling the battery it was finally able to boot and then I noticed the camera stopped working. I hard reset the phone but the issue still persist and it seems as though it might be more common than I think according to these posts. As much as I'm satisfied with the ATIV S I think I'll try to exchange for the Lumia 920 as I prefer the additional software and support.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
After 3 weeks use, I find the slimness, bigger screen and microSD top features. The other huge plus is the battery, which is slightly larger and its easily outlasts the 920; lasts minimum a day, sometimes two days. Tom Warren recently tweeted a picture of his battery that showed he was into his 3rd day. From personal experience, I know I can stream Beem Plus at work all day and never worry about the battery.

In terms of negatives, its got a quiet speaker, and I can sleep through the alarm. The audio quality has been pointed out to be bad by several people, but since I worked with a chainsaw as a lumberjack for 4 years, I don't notice it :) Further, its Bluetooth 3.0, so no apt-x wireless speakers for me. Finally, I'll miss Nokia location services, but I'll adjust. Its good news for me that Google Maps is coming to Windows Phone via browser due to the recent hooha.

D350

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have AtivS right now, everything well except no Nokia drive, which is a BIG MINUS!
Some say it will come...but when? How sure? I'm pretty sure, it does not come with it now, at least I don't have it.
Sadly, if navigation is important to you, go with the 920.
Had s3 before and really miss navigation, and it works great on Nokia.
I'm thinking of selling my Ativ and get Lumia.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I have AtivS right now, everything well except no Nokia drive, which is a BIG MINUS!
Some say it will come...but when? How sure? I'm pretty sure, it does not come with it now, at least I don't have it.
Sadly, if navigation is important to you, go with the 920.
Had s3 before and really miss navigation, and it works great on Nokia.
I'm thinking of selling my Ativ and get Lumia.

Grass is always greener....I'm waiting for Ativ S on ATT or unlocked so I can get rid of 920. 😊

D350

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
haha, good one.
Got myself Note2 :(
Navigon, Sygic... use navigation a lot.
Maybe get Ativ and buy Navigon, but it is 60€!!

hmmm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12