Advantages of Ativ S over Lumia 920

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Now that the initial dust has settled and the passions have calmed, let's talk calmly and objectively about the competing WP8 flagships. The Lumia 920 has gotten a lot of hype for bringing some new features (OIS, glove-friendly touchscreen, etc) to the table. But that doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone, and I also believe that Samsung isn't exactly bringing a knife to a gunfight. What are solid reasons for choosing the Ativ S over the 920?

The ones I thought of are:

bigger screen
lighter weight (about 2/3s the weight, i think)
expandable memory

Others?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I can only think of the same.

Screen: Slightly larger, and some people seem to prefer an AMOLED screen over an LCD. But most people not having seen the Lumia 920's PureMotion display yet, I'd say compare them in person first before making a conclusion.

Weight/Size: Some people just prefer thin and light phones. It's just a personal preference.

microSD: This apparently means a lot to some people.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine cost.

As its basically a galaxy s3, the economy of scale should make the costs more reasonable.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine cost.

As its basically a galaxy s3, the economy of scale should make the costs more reasonable.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Exactly. This is a GS3 with different hardware button, some extra metal, and a different *cough* better *cough* OS. Economy of scale could make this one cheaper. Then again, Nokia could surprise us by pricing aggressively like they did with the outgoing 900. Other than that, biiger screen is it. And it's pentile, which many don't like. (even though they probably wouldn't know unless they were told at that resolution.)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
We don't even know any manufacturer specific functions on the Samsung. Nokia has already laid their cards out on the table for the most part. I'm sure Nokia will make a few additions. Sammy has mentioned nothing of the sort, but we've seen some cool Sammy specific features on the GS3. When it releases or weeks before them we should have a better comparison.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
For me, it might only be the looks. I for one, love Samsung's designs when it comes to phones.

I like Nokia's as well, but Samsung has the edge for me.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Weight/Size: Some people just prefer thin and light phones. It's just a personal preference.

Yeah, the thin-and-light is a big deal for me because I wear suits and wool slacks most days (for work) and the thickness and heaviness of my HTC 7 Pro (Arrive) is constantly annoying. I don't mind a thicker and heavier phone when wearing blue jeans. It's not like the phone is heavy enough to even really feel in blue jeans. But a thicker-and-heavier phone visibly disrupts the way that suit fabric drapes and hangs, so if you carry your phone in your pants pocket and you regularly wear a suit or "dress casual" attire, the Samsung's thinner-and-lighter approach has some real appeal.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For me the Ativ S has the edges in the slightly bigger screen, the slightly higher capacity and removable battery (though I wonder if the rumor of the 920 using a Li-Po batt makes this negligible), removable SD slot, and thin and light aspect.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has edged ahead with me in the "war for huge bucks", as I will have to buy a WP 8 outright. I am so impressed with what they are bringing and how much they are supporting the emtire ecosystem. It is hard to go against them.

That being said, the ATIV S has a few things in it's favor:

1) How much I love my Focus S, and for that matter how well all Samsung's top end devices perform. Sammy just knows how to put out a device that works right out of the box and gives you zero problems as you use it. I expect the ATIV to sing. I expect it to last. No doubt in my mind.

2) It is such a classy looking device. I see the pictures, and it just LOOKS like a phone meant to be carried and shown off. Yes, I like the bright color options of the 920, but the ATIV is just.... manly.

3) Samsung is really working on a nice ecosystem themselves. If they bring over the GS3 support and exclusives to the ATIV, we have a fun little device.

We will see where the Nokia's and Sammy end up. As I am on AT&T, I expect to be able to play with both. I am not crossing off the ATIV, I am just feeling the Nokia pull right now. Jury is ready to hear the evidence......

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Im going to need to hold them both, its gona be a though choice. My last 3 phones where Samsung n I've had bad experience with Nokia , but im still hyped for both!

I think it's gona come down to the screen and feel of them both

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Im going to need to hold them both, its gona be a though choice. My last 3 phones where Samsung n I've had bad experience with Nokia , but im still hyped for both!

I think it's gona come down to the screen and feel of them both

This is where I stand as well. They both look like such great devices, and each of them has desirable features, that I simply can't decide as of now. Once I get to play, and hold both of them, that's when I'll be able to decide which is right for me.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe in this day and age people still buy smartphones without trying them out. That is so HUGE to really hold them and see their performance.

Not to mention it is so much freaking FUN.....

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Bigger screen, slimmer design, SD slot, bigger battery, removable battery, some preffer the more professional look.....

it's going to come down to comparing the 2 in hand AND honestly I really really think the Lumia 920 is going to follow the Lumia 900 and be exclusive to AT&T (and Rogers for canada) and the ATIV will follow samsungs galaxy pattern and release it everywhere... if thats the case the ATIV will blow passed the Lumia 920 without a doubt.

Edit: also nobody really mentions the fact samsung only showed the device and basic specs.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Considering the rumor is the Nokia 820 to Verizon, while Big Red gets a premium Samsung and an unknown "Trophy 2" from HTC, and T-Mobile is all but confirmed for the ATIV, you may have a great, understated point, Villain.......

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe in this day and age people still buy smartphones without trying them out. That is so HUGE to really hold them and see their performance.

Not to mention it is so much freaking FUN.....

WORD , I had 4 different WP ( for 2-3 dayz each ) on the original release before I decided to stick with the focus :p

and I had read almost every review available on the web, u really need to get a feel for it or esle you might get stuck with phone not fitting YOUR needs witch will or could lead to a over all bad experience of the OS.

be smart buyers people :)

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
As of now, I'm more eyeing the Ativ S just for the size/weight of it. I prefer a phone that's a bit thinner and lighter, and the 920 is one of the largest/heaviest smartphones to come out recently. But I really will have to hold both to decide.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
i have to say until we hear official specs on the HTC 8X, In the meantime the FFC on the ATIV S is going to kick major @SS for skype video calls :lol:

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
i have to say until we hear official specs on the HTC 8X, In the meantime the FFC on the ATIV S is going to kick major @SS for skype video calls :lol:

I'm not really interested to see what HTC has to offer. I've never been a huge fan of their devices, and unless it's absolutely mind blowing and industry rocking, I don't see myself buying one of their devices.

Neofire

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
ATIV S all the way........ HTC 8X/8S didnt impress me at all spec wise. Beats or the phone colors didnt help much either. The Ativ S just has a more professional and modern look to it, whcih will appeal to a larger crowd me included.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05