Samsung ATIV S Full SDXC card support?

Neofire

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about 2 tb,.... lol!!! But GS 3 owners can install 64gb Class 10 MicroSDXC cards perfectly fine. Hopefully the OS supports these cards......

Andrewtmajor

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
i have heard that people have got the 64gb sdxc cards and it works fine but i have yet to find anybody who has try using 128gb sdxc card with Samsung Galaxy s3 or any other phone that supports sdxc card.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure i read somewhere that WP8 only supported up to 32GB SD Cards.

that would be a STUPID artificial limitation, and I don't believe it. If the ATIV S supports SDXC it will be a major coup over the other phones. If I could pack my entire media collection on a 128Gb card it would be pretty epic.

Andrewtmajor

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
that would be a STUPID artificial limitation, and I don't believe it. If the ATIV S supports SDXC it will be a major coup over the other phones. If I could pack my entire media collection on a 128Gb card it would be pretty epic.
I agree if i could put all my video movie app ect of one 128gb sdxc card it would be epic i hope this phone comes out for t mobile and Microsoft does not have a limit on sdxc card size one day i could have all my media/movie/games and app for windows 8 windows phone 8 and xbox 720 on one 2tb sdxc card

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
that would be a STUPID artificial limitation, and I don't believe it.

As i say, i've only read it. I'm not passing that off as fact, as most of what i read is gossip from sites like this.

To be fair though, its not entirely stupid. Every bit of content we put on our phones will start effecting performance.

If you have a 32GB card, thats a huge number of photos/MP3s. The indexing task required to validate added/removed content will take ages, then the media player will have to navigate huge lists of content every time you want to do anything.

As you add 64gb, 128gb etc, it'll all start effecting performance more and more.

As i recall, there was a WP7 device which had a SD card for its system memory, and they found serious performance issues when using the wrong SD cards, because SD cards are all measured on max input/output speed, not random access times for accessing content.

The same problems will start occuring with WP8 when people start bogging them down with massive content collections, an artifical SD card limit will annoy less people than poor phone performance.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It was the original Samsung Focus, snailUK, and yes performance issues followed.

I love that Sammy is the only Hero device with the storage. But it sure will be nice when they come out and give more specifics on it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am glad the government recovered that alien spacecraft, so they could reverse engineer all their technology and get that much storage on such a small memory stick. :D

Andrewtmajor

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
not preaching or anything BUT can you honestly complain about having 32GB device storage and 32GB expanded storage?

I am not complaining i just want to be able to put all my media from my computer to my Xbox and my phone on one 1tb sdxc card two or three years from now. it would be nice if i could put my music and video on a 64gb sdxc card and have my apps games ect on the 32gb

dazza9075

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
hmm, putting so much of something so small is asking for trouble

personally, I like the limited storage, it stops me becoming complacent, ****, to be honest I don't think I would need to fill a 16GB card if im truly honest.

I get the feeling technology has led us to doing such things because we can, rather than us needing such things and the technology filling the gap...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
256GB micro sd cost $900 bucks and was just released.
I am not complaining i just want to be able to put all my media from my computer to my Xbox and my phone on one 1tb sdxc card two or three years from now. it would be nice if i could put my music and video on a 64gb sdxc card and have my apps games ect on the 32gb

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
More storage isn't a bad thing. If you dont need it dont use it.
hmm, putting so much of something so small is asking for trouble

personally, I like the limited storage, it stops me becoming complacent, ****, to be honest I don't think I would need to fill a 16GB card if im truly honest.

I get the feeling technology has led us to doing such things because we can, rather than us needing such things and the technology filling the gap...

dazza9075

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
More storage isn't a bad thing. If you dont need it dont use it.

I didn't say it was a bad thing

I mean that if I give someone a 1TB card they will try and fill it because they can, rather than because they need to.

Sticking so much data on a small card is also asking for trouble, corruption, device fail, theft.

There is a good reason RAID is used on large volumes

Andrewtmajor

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say it was a bad thing

I mean that if I give someone a 1TB card they will try and fill it because they can, rather than because they need to.

Sticking so much data on a small card is also asking for trouble, corruption, device fail, theft.

There is a good reason RAID is used on large volumes

Your right there if i did have a 1TB sdxc card i would start putting random s*** on like movie i will never watch or apps i don't need or will use. I have a 250gb hard drive and have most of my games and my movie i have downloaded even if i dont play them i only have 98gb left.

Last edited:

Andrewtmajor

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, way too much. There's nothing I need to carry with me that important.

But like anything else in the tech market, give it 6-8 months... It will be $200-250 and 256gb would be reachable for most people who just NEED extra space.

Still think it's too much, $79-99 would be right in the range for me...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa