Which US carrier(s)?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
So, which US carrier(s) will be getting the ATIV S?

We know Verizon is getting the Samsung ATIV Odyssey (whatever it is), but what about the ATIV S?

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
So, which US carrier(s) will be getting the ATIV S?

We know Verizon is getting the Samsung ATIV Odyssey (whatever it is), but what about the ATIV S?

For all intents and purposes, the Odyssey IS the Ativ S. I just read on wmpoweruser that it will have the HD 4.65-inch screen along with the S4 processor.

It's an Ativ S variant the same way the 822 is and 820 variant. Both will be uglified by prominent Verizon logos, I am sure.

tangobravozab

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
ATIV Odyssey is pretty much the ativ S. I'm quite sure about it.
I posted this in another post.

I've been thinking about this issue over the last day and I think I have a partial answer to my question. Although I don't know which US carrier (if any, see below) will pick up the ATIV S, the phone is available for pre-sale in most European countries, Canada, and Australia, from what I've read online. This pre-sale version of the phone does not have 4G LTE (from what I've read again, though I don't know if all these countries will or won't have it). It makes sense to release a US version with 4G LTE because it is a major marketing point. It also makes sense that the delay in announcements on the ATIV S is caused by the development of a 4G LTE version for the American market.

Since Verizon is getting the Odyssey, which has been unofficially touted as an ATIV S lite (though not the actual ATIV S according to the Microsoft CEO), it makes sense that they wouldn't get the ATIV S. T-Mobile probably does not have the clout to get what is arguably the premier Windows Phone 8 device. AT&T tends to get exclusive rights to a premier device, at least initially, so if I was a betting man (which I'm not), I would say AT&T will get this phone, probably sometime late this year or early next year depending on where Samsung is with the 4G LTE development version (assuming my theory is correct!). It doesn't make sense to me that Samsung would create a phone of this caliber (the WP8 equivalent of their premier device, the Galaxy S III) and not release in the American market.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I believe T-mobile will be getting the Ativ, whether it's the Ativ S or some other variant like Verizon.

tangobravozab

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe T-mobile will be getting the Ativ, whether it's the Ativ S or some other variant like Verizon.
It makes sense for Samsung to try to maximize their influence through as many carriers as possible. Exclusive agreements with carriers might make this an issue, though they can get around that through variants such as the Odyssey.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Just read this article

Samsung Ativ S - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

If true it looks like its not coming to the US. I'm on AT&T so what ever the Odyssey is won't help me out. And with lack of LTE and the fact AT&T is carrying the ATIV Smart PC but no mention of the ATIV S, highly doubt it's coming. Hopefully the 920 or 8x are nice once I get to check them out in stores.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos