10-31-2015 06:50 PM
54 123
tools
    I ended up with the ATIV S after having sent Lumia 920 for repair 3 times with repeated freezing, overheating, lag, poor wifi reception amoung other things. Nokia finally gave a credit to the provider and I got the ATIV S.
    The ATIV S is a joy to use compared to the glitchy L920. Battery life is better, nice screen, snappy response, doesn't weigh a ton....no problematic glitches and I love it! I was worried about the camera but the photos are just as good or better than the 920, I don't use video much at all. If the ATIV S had any marketing it would sell alot better, most people don't even know it exists which is a shame as it is a nice unit.
    WP8fan and Mankku like this.
    05-13-2013 09:37 PM
    I picked up an ATIV S for GB360, when a Lumia 920 would have been GB480. It's even cheaper than the Lumia 720 at GB380! The removable battery and additional storage are great features, and I loved the AMOLED screen on my previous Samsung Omnia 7.
    Today, I purchased my Ativ S for 240 on Amazon. Amazon the German site I might add. I always buy my stuff from the German site. It's so much cheaper.
    05-15-2013 12:19 PM
    i bought ativ s for 267 E, and i cant w8 for it :D
    i hope i made the right choice :D
    05-16-2013 01:08 AM
    For that price it's nothing but the right choice! :) I had mine for 4 months now, extremely happy with my Ativ s, I would have saved a couple of hundred euros for it if I'd waited a bit longer for it. Paid about 460 . Hoping for some app and update support for WP8 by Samsung, as Ativ s is a great phone as it is
    05-16-2013 05:41 AM
    You certainly made the right choice for the money, just remember that we are here if you need any help
    05-16-2013 07:26 AM
    I agree with u all buddy ..android is time consuming and not even simple to use as windows 8 phone...
    WP8fan likes this.
    05-18-2013 09:04 AM
    And i germany price i slow as previous year
    05-18-2013 09:05 AM
    Only flagship Windows Phone with microSD, simple as that. The huge screen and battery, and thin body, were icing on the cake.
    WP8fan likes this.
    05-22-2013 01:22 PM
    Picked it because:
    1. It has a Super AMOLED + display which is awesome compared to any other technology. Look gentlemen, the organic display produces much much better color gamut than even in-plane switching displays in Nokia top 9xx devices aren't even close to it.
    2. It's flat out slim and lightweight. Wrapped into a leather case it's sill almost that slim as Nokia's Lumia 9xx
    3. Large screen. I've been using WP 7.5 on a 4.3" HTC HD2 back days and it felt comfortable but not fair enough. Colleague of mine owns a 3.7 inch Sammy and looking at its screen causes eyestrain for me. Reading books on a 4.8" screen with fantastic Segoe WP phone is a joy!
    4. Removable battery. Low temperatures is a beast, but not only that, hits can corrupt cells in a battery making your need to replace it. All of my phones I owned started to experience rapid discharge after being hit on the floor, and battery replacement is the only solution.
    5. Replaceable SD card that can be used for storing setup XAP as well as personal data and help facilitate the well known 'Other' storage category growing uncontrolled.
    6. Surprisingly unpopular in Russia, so it was hard to get but came like $100 cheaper than what they want for Nokia Lumia 920 here.
    7. It has sturdy housing with metal frame, aluminum finished plastic back panel and glossy lacquer gray-colored face panel
    8. I liked the design better than any other, small borders (frame is not that slim as in HTC One but still feel slimmer than that in Lumia)
    9. Eh, my wife has Nokia 620. Like it very well, by the way, but screen is small to my eyes. (At the other hand, ATIV S would hardly fit any pocket of her clothes, that's why I didn't get it for her.)

Love it.

EH

P.S.: I purchased a 'gray' phone (as I understood it based on the broken seal and English UK set by default when you do a reset) that had no user manual or anything other than:
    1. Phone itself
    2. Charge/data USB cable
    3. Rechargeable battery
    4. Euro outlet AC power plug (surprisingly, it had Russian labels on it, so I suspect original one has been replaced)
    5. White in-ear earbuds with 1/8" plug.

I wonder what's the standard set in the retail box of ATIV S for Euro/Asia market? Could anyone clear this up for me?

I contacted Samsung Russia but they refused to comment on why I've got a gray device and what should come with the one prepared specially for Russian market…
    05-25-2013 12:44 PM
    Picked it because:
    1. It has a Super AMOLED + display which is awesome compared to any other technology. Look gentlemen, the organic display produces much much better color gamut than even in-plane switching displays in Nokia top 9xx devices aren't even close to it.
    2. It's flat out slim and lightweight. Wrapped into a leather case it's sill almost that slim as Nokia's Lumia 9xx
    3. Large screen. I've been using WP 7.5 on a 4.3" HTC HD2 back days and it felt comfortable but not fair enough. Colleague of mine owns a 3.7 inch Sammy and looking at its screen causes eyestrain for me. Reading books on a 4.8" screen with fantastic Segoe WP phone is a joy!
    4. Removable battery. Low temperatures is a beast, but not only that, hits can corrupt cells in a battery making your need to replace it. All of my phones I owned started to experience rapid discharge after being hit on the floor, and battery replacement is the only solution.
    5. Replaceable SD card that can be used for storing setup XAP as well as personal data and help facilitate the well known 'Other' storage category growing uncontrolled.
    6. Surprisingly unpopular in Russia, so it was hard to get but came like $100 cheaper than what they want for Nokia Lumia 920 here.
    7. It has sturdy housing with metal frame, aluminum finished plastic back panel and glossy lacquer gray-colored face panel
    8. I liked the design better than any other, small borders (frame is not that slim as in HTC One but still feel slimmer than that in Lumia)
    9. Eh, my wife has Nokia 620. Like it very well, by the way, but screen is small to my eyes. (At the other hand, ATIV S would hardly fit any pocket of her clothes, that's why I didn't get it for her.)

Love it.

EH

P.S.: I purchased a 'gray' phone (as I understood it based on the broken seal and English UK set by default when you do a reset) that had no user manual or anything other than:
    1. Phone itself
    2. Charge/data USB cable
    3. Rechargeable battery
    4. Euro outlet AC power plug (surprisingly, it had Russian labels on it, so I suspect original one has been replaced)
    5. White in-ear earbuds with 1/8" plug.

I wonder what's the standard set in the retail box of ATIV S for Euro/Asia market? Could anyone clear this up for me?

I contacted Samsung Russia but they refused to comment on why I've got a gray device and what should come with the one prepared specially for Russian market…
    My ATIV S came with everything yours came with, UK power adapter though, and the manuals.
    Exotic Hadron likes this.
    05-25-2013 02:22 PM
    i got one because i wanted proper excel, but as it has a bug which makes the main feature i wanted a ball ache ( autofilter ) compared to the PC version i wish i'd have got an S3 or held out for an S4, that said though the HTC 1 seems to top the poles over the S4 despite the 4 mp camera???? but i think i'd stick with samsung given the choice
    05-25-2013 03:45 PM
    Well as I recently picked one up I guess I'll throw in a few reasons of my own.....

Screen size. I've been using an S3 and anything smaller would have been disappointing.
    The Windows button unlocks the phone. I know this may seem strange but to me it was a HUGE deal. Having an unlock button, right there in the middle of the handset, was almost essential for me.
    Removable battery and SD slot. Need I say more?
    245 from Expansys. Seemed rude not to buy it.

So there we have it. So far so good.
    neo158 likes this.
    06-03-2013 05:41 AM
    I'm so glad to read something positive (finally) about the ATIV S. I hear so many angry remarks about how there is a "lack of support" for this device.

At any rate, I was eyeing the Lumia 920 for a long time because of the camera, but the large screen, and weight of this phone seemed very appealing. It felt very awkward using the ATIV S for a day or two because of how light it felt. Putting on a nice sturdy case makes the phone much more comfortable to hold; it no longer feels as if it's going to fly out of my hands. Also, this phone came at a great price, so I bought it unlocked. :)
    06-06-2013 08:24 PM
    i bought it because of the screen, i cant stand small screens anymore
    06-07-2013 02:54 AM
    Just got my ativ s today for the bargain price of 240 i sold my lumia 620 for it, That was definitely the right choice. I Love this phone ! After owning the 8X & Lumia 920 & 620 this is my fav WP8 which i am surprised by. The screen is glorious and makes the wp interface pop out and the design is gorgeous. The camera is brilliant maybe not 920 brilliant but not far off and the card slot and removable battery are both things i got used to having with the cheaper 620. I honestly can say i wish i got the ativ before the 920 as i much prefer it. Can't wait to play Halo on this massive screen!.
    06-07-2013 02:23 PM
    Whatzaaaa ppl
    I bought ativ s 3-4 weeks ago :)
    Verry heppy with it
    I like the clarity of the music but i would like eq to improve the bass :D
    For the price you get epick phone, and i paid it 267
    Well ppl this was my first samsung and so far i am loving it
    I woiuld recomend it to any1, and with the price same as 820 , i dont know why would some1 pick lumia :)
    And for me 920 is overpriced, yeah nokia has gr8 quality, exclusive apps/games and one of the best cameras, but that all is not worth 420
    I mean 820 only got little worse screen and camera...
    But anyway ♡.♡ my ativ s :)
    06-08-2013 03:44 PM
    Just sold a BlackBerry Z10 and bought with it was the ATIV S. Have had many Windows Phone's before; Samsung Focus Flash, Nokia Lumia 900, HTC 8X, and Nokia Lumia 920. So I obviously liked Windows Phone. Like it more than Android and iOS, thought BB10 was good, just didn't have all the apps I wanted but nice OS, reminded me of webOS a bit, which I also loved and had many devices! :)

Anyway, I like the ATIV S the best out of all the Windows Phone's I had so far because:

Got the biggest battery. Don't have to worry about charging it up as often.
    Big screen. Kind of weird holding it at first because it's so big, but you get use to it.
    Expansion for more memory by microSD card slot (which other high-end Windows Phone's don't have)
    Has very good build quality. (Doesn't look as cheap as a S4 or Note 2 because of the aluminum-like finish on the back of the phone.)

Only thing I miss is LTE, but at least I get HSPA+, which is pretty good. Overall, happy with this phone, but as I switch phone's often I may go with a 925 and a Q10 once I get rid of AT&T and have T-Mobile, so I can finally have unlimited data! 200MB just isn't doing it for me...
    06-08-2013 08:46 PM
    I am trying to buy an Ativ S as a refubished device for 190€ in germany. BUT today I got my second device, after sending back the first one, because Camera and LED didn't work or were broken. Now today first thing I tested was the Cam and .... this f*in' thing is broken on that "new" refubished device, too. So I wrote to the Online-Store that they should send me a factory new one because if I give it back to them they will send it to Samsung and get a new one anyway ... so why not just give this new one to me :-) But I'm starting to belive that this camera problem is a common thing on the ativ s. Pretty weird that everything works fine but the camera doesn't .... I really tried everything I could think of (factory reset, different apps, with sd and without, turning everything on and off, samsung diagnosis even closes itself when trying to test the camera)
    Anyways I still hope that I get a new one by monday or tuesday next week because I am pissed off by my HTC HD2 with windows phone 7.8 running and the touchscreen slowly dying and everything else falling apart.
    The reason I am "trying" to buy it,
    - Windows Phone 8 + that really awesome price (190€ for refubished)
    - SD card support
    what I am missing in windows phone 8 is support for DLNA and MHL
    Exotic Hadron likes this.
    06-18-2013 03:46 PM
    I wanted to start a topic about why you got yourself the Ativ S. But with a little search and I found this thread.

Well, why did I buy meself the Ativ S?
    Back then the specs of the Ativ S where better than similar Lumia phones.
    As I was coming from several Nokia symbian phone, the usual step would be a Nokia Lumia phone.
    But I felt the Lumia is bringing me back in time, with the low ram, low CPU and no slot for microSD.

The Ativ S has everything I like: the design with a pushable home button, and even a camera button.
    The screensize is not to big. The flipcase is great and I got a spare battery too.
    Battery life is great, which was very astounding! Cause Samsung is known for worse battery life on their android phones.

And now hoping and waiting for WP8.1 update.
    11-05-2014 03:48 PM
    I knew I wanted a phone with specs like the Ativ S. I saw one come up on local auction site. Was an unwanted prize and I picked it up for NZD 250. something like 125 euro for you northern hemisphere guys. Screen is beautiful and sharp, camera is good, Windows phone is great, really like it. I didn't want to go back to Android after having an HD7 and Ascend W1. It is a bit hackable which is cool and means I now have 8.1 even though it hasn't been officially rolled out by my carrier. Works well and is so smooth. I find it a bit too slim and slippery out of the box, but with a case, it is perfect. Best phone I have ever had. I like smaller phones so I preferred the 8x, but that had hardware issues where the ativ just keeps on trucking and very seldom does anything bad. All little issues have been ironed out with new firmware like the inability to use wifi and bluetooth at the same time. Going to stick with this one until it dies.
    11-16-2014 06:28 PM
    I've had mine since May 2013, after I upgraded from a Lumia 620 that I'd been using for 5 months.

- Removable battery
    - 1 GB RAM
    - microSD slot that supports 64 GB (and, it turns out, 128 GB and probably more)
    - Beautiful OLED screen in HD 720 resolution
    - Relatively powerful at the time
    - High build quality
    - Standard USB slot for charging (granted, all EU phones have this, but it's another reason to avoid Apple)
    - Very competitive price
    11-17-2014 08:48 AM
    I have mine for 205 a year ago
    1. Amoled screen
    2. SD
    3. Physical Windows button
    4. screen size
    5 Removable battery
    6 Cheaper than Lumia 920/925
    11-19-2014 11:25 AM
    I had the Lumia 710 and I didn't want to be left in the dust with WP7 when WP8 was released so I got the only WP8 phone that my carrier Sasktel ... eventually... released, the ATIV S.
    11-25-2014 10:30 AM
    Did Sasktel roll out the 8.1 update yet? I'm with Bell (Ottawa) and am still waiting....Not overly worked up about it because it's still the best mobile phone I've used.
    11-25-2014 12:35 PM
    Ive been wanting the ATIV S, being one of the few WP with AMOLED screen. I recently switched from Lumia 820, and I had a Lumia 800 before that, following the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (Android). Having the Lumia 820 with short battery life has trained me to use two batteries and a desktop charger (NOW THATS WIRELESS CHARGING), so I basically just swap batteries without ever plugging a cable to the phone.

It was, however, hard to justify the price even at 200 bucks when you already have a fully-working Lumia 820. Then eBay changed everything, I found this one for 50 bucks with 12-month warranty, so I couldn't resist anymore.

Few of my other options;
    Lumia 925 - no removable battery.
    Lumia 730/735 - no camera button.
    ATIV SE - no camera button, overkill specs
    Lumia 950 - even more overkill specs.

Just got it yesterday. My first impression was; its huge. I was expecting the device to feel smaller than the 820 due to the similar width but slimmer body. Turns out, the chubby 820 gives more grip to my hand so I can hold it with more confidence. Its probably something that i could get used to. The buttons positioning also leaves something to be desired. The power and volume buttons of the ATIV is too high.

The main benefit of the ATIV S is, first of all, the 16:9 aspect ratio. Moving from the 16:10 Lumia to the 16:9 ATIV, I feel like I get more real estate, and I actually do. Some apps failed to put more content on the screen, and instead putting black bars on top and bottom. Most apps though, manage to scale perfectly. The 720p screen also makes the 3-column start actually usable. But the main reason why I got the ATIV S is, of course, the battery. The 820, even when I double the battery (spare battery), can sometimes still run out of power.

If there is a perfect device for me, I would take the design and dimension of the Lumia 800, with the (slightly smaller version) of the ATIV S screen, combined with ATIV's huge and removable battery, and glance + double-tap-to-wake feature. I am yet to find that perfect one. Until then, ill keep using the ATIV S.

Have a question though;

I heard that Samsung optimized 8.1 much better than they did on 8.0, is it true? The reason is because I am using, and I prefer 8.0 on my Lumia 820. Its just snappier. I do notice some places where 8.1 stutters, both on the 820 and ATIV S, and its quite subjective but to me 8.0 looks better with the pure Metro UI (the 8.1 has been neutered a bit by [s]Android[/s] Windows 10 UI). So, I am ready to flash the 8.0 firmware but quite hesitating due to the optimization thing. What do you think? Do you have any recommendation on which image you recommend? I downloaded the latest (?) CMK2 image
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-23-2015 09:45 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD