Trying to sell myself on the ATIV S from TELUS

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am already a windows phone user. Current phone was the LG Optimus 7 which finally died with 14 months left on my contract. Planned to just buy out my contract at a hefty fee and move to the Rogers to pick up the Nokia 920.

Telus has decided to allow me to upgrade free and they will absorb the remaining contract fee for me. However the only windows Phone available or soon to be is the ATIV S. I haven't honestly looked at the phone before I was always thinking the 920 or newer would be my next phone.

So where I am at is deciding on this? do I buy out my 14 month contract and move carriers or do I stick with Telus and pick up the ATIV S. Staying will save me a lot of money depending on the actually cost of the ATIV. As for where I live Telus and Rogers are pretty comparable in range, service and 3/4G so it?s not really better or debatable which is for better so not a carrier issue for me.

I am impressed spec wise and so far and the style of the ATIV impresses me as well. I will miss the wireless charging but ATIV makes up for that with such a large battery.

Questions I have, is about the AMOLED screen? does it really suffer from Burn in? Is it that bad? How is Samsung for support?

If someone has been following this phone how does it honestly stack up to the other phone offerings? How are they for having cases and screen protector?s? The LG phone sucked at having anything.

CoopII

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Im moving from WM6.5 to WP8 for my upgrade!

I am already a windows phone user. Current phone was the LG Optimus 7 which finally died with 14 months left on my contract. Planned to just buy out my contract at a hefty fee and move to the Rogers to pick up the Nokia 920.

Telus has decided to allow me to upgrade free and they will absorb the remaining contract fee for me. However the only windows Phone available or soon to be is the ATIV S. I haven't honestly looked at the phone before I was always thinking the 920 or newer would be my next phone.

So where I am at is deciding on this? do I buy out my 14 month contract and move carriers or do I stick with Telus and pick up the ATIV S. Staying will save me a lot of money depending on the actually cost of the ATIV. As for where I live Telus and Rogers are pretty comparable in range, service and 3/4G so it?s not really better or debatable which is for better so not a carrier issue for me.

I am impressed spec wise and so far and the style of the ATIV impresses me as well. I will miss the wireless charging but ATIV makes up for that with such a large battery.

Questions I have, is about the AMOLED screen? does it really suffer from Burn in? Is it that bad? How is Samsung for support?

If someone has been following this phone how does it honestly stack up to the other phone offerings? How are they for having cases and screen protector?s? The LG phone sucked at having anything.

CoopII

Im moving from WM6.5 to WP8 for my upgrade!
My 3 year old "LG IQ" from Telus....old and out dated and as well I think LG sucks too!

The Samsung ATIV S is my next WP8 smartphone from Telus but just need to know more info if the ATIV S 32GB model is coming to Telus? seems just 16GB for now?

Where are all the 32GB model of the ATIV S? Samsung says the ATIV S come's in 16GB and 32GB size!
No price yet or date...just Coming Soon :straight:

If the Lumia 920 came to Telus I would got that phone!! shame on you Nokia....next time take note on Sammy :straight:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think they made a 32gb model, only a 16gb but, it has a MicroSDXC slot (SD cards up to 64gb, possable 128gb with software update)

If you want to know how the ATIV S feels for Size and display quality. Look over the Galxy S3 Android phone, the ATIV is going to be based off it, almost exactly (colors and shape is a little different but, everything else). So go to a store, pick one up and take a look. I have held a few, and its' a really nice phone and the display is nice. Very slim phone for the size screen, it's pretty impressive looking. Only thing I dislike about the ATIV, it's based off a Android device and side by side they look almost the same.

Removable battery and MicroSDXC slot wins it over the 920...and there is a rumored support for Wireless charging (or at least a replacement back cover that will support it) but, nothing confirmed as of yet.

I, also, am leaning towards the ATIV....as my carrier wont be getting the 920...Even then, I would have to see them side by side (Removable battery & MicroSDXC could win it tho)

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah just play around with the Galaxy S3 at a kiosk or store. The ATIV S is more or less a WP8 clone of the S3. So you'll be able to get a feel for its size, screen quality, and whatever else you need to know outside of the OS.

I just have to say this though, you will be GLAD to rid yourself of that optimus 7. Mine overheated all the time and froze on boot screen after about a year of use (premature death about halfway through my contract). I replaced it with a Lumia710 and the screen is WAY better, its much faster, reception is a million times better and there are no heat issues.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
ATIV S is = to the GS3!

I didn't think they made a 32gb model, only a 16gb but, it has a MicroSDXC slot (SD cards up to 64gb, possable 128gb with software update)

If you want to know how the ATIV S feels for Size and display quality. Look over the Galxy S3 Android phone, the ATIV is going to be based off it, almost exactly (colors and shape is a little different but, everything else). So go to a store, pick one up and take a look. I have held a few, and its' a really nice phone and the display is nice. Very slim phone for the size screen, it's pretty impressive looking. Only thing I dislike about the ATIV, it's based off a Android device and side by side they look almost the same.

Removable battery and MicroSDXC slot wins it over the 920...and there is a rumored support for Wireless charging (or at least a replacement back cover that will support it) but, nothing confirmed as of yet.

I, also, am leaning towards the ATIV....as my carrier wont be getting the 920...Even then, I would have to see them side by side (Removable battery & MicroSDXC could win it tho)

GT-I8370, ATIV S

"16/32GB User memory + 1GB "
or is that a typo?

The Samsung ATIV S is a rebranded Samsung Galaxy S III with a bigger 2300 mAh Battery!
The SG3 does not have the best hardware & software but still it sold more then 33 million in 2012 :happy:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I will help you w/ the differences from what I've gathered from reviews

NOKIA 920/SAMSUNG ATIV S

Voice quality
Nokia: A
Samsung: B

Recording quality at a loud rock concert
Samsung: D

Speaker sound quality
Nokia: B

Maxmium potential storage capacity
Nokia: 32GB
Samsung: 80-96GB

Weight
Nokia: B-
Samsung: A

Thickness
Nokia: B-

Build quality

Rear Camera
Nokia: A+
Samsung: A-

Front Camera
Nokia: B

Screen

Otherwise the rest is the same or preference.

It boils down to
-Samsung is more businesslike/sleek, Nokia is more rowdy/colorful
-Samsung feels thin and light, Nokia feels beefy and heavier
-Samsung has much higher potential storage capacity with its MicroSD expansion capability
-Nokia has edge on rear camera, Samsung has edge on front camera
-Nokia has better call quality and better recording quality
-Samsung has physical non-illuminated home button vs. illuminated capacitive button on the 920

OVERALL, I would say its a draw. If the 920 had expandable memory I would probably give the nod to the 920, but having the ability for over twice as much storage space on the ATIV S makes up for the areas where the 920 pulls ahead.

Last edited:

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys this has been helpful and making me feel a little bit more at ease picking up the ATIV S if and when it is finally out.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just as a side note-

As far as support, Samsung delivered Tango to both the Focus S and the Focus Flash on AT&T, and it was before Nokia released it to the 900 (I think Titan owners are still waiting). They also supported the Focus S with an update which solved some small keyboard response problems and some sound issues.

They have some small exclusives in their Samsung HUB: Their "Now" news feed, a mini-diary that allows for photo/GPS entries to help remember past events, their "Chat-On" social site, some decent-but-nothing-special photo tools. There has been some rumor that the delays in the ATIV S/Odyssey launches have to do with other GS2-style exclusives being included.

It will be a light, plastic device. No doubt. Nokia is much more dedicated to WP obviously. What concerns me a little is Samsungs determination to get it's pet project OS Tizen to market.

But I can assure one of a few things based on my time with my Focus S: Sammy will release this bad boy when it is ready. It will run flawless. It will be durable and will last years.

Buy with confidence, and enjoy.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Are we 100% clear that the Samsung supports MicroSDXC cards and not just standard MicroSD cards ? With the SDXC cards, you might be able to support 128gb or even 256gb cards (rumored) with a software update.

Now that would win it over for me, the biggest limits of my Trophy is space, then the camera. The rumored Samsungs rear camera is claimed to be better than a iPhone 4S or a 5 (my wife has a 4 and is always talking pictures with it). Not as good as the Nokia but, close. This might just be my phone.

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Are we 100% clear that the Samsung supports MicroSDXC cards and not just standard MicroSD cards ? With the SDXC cards, you might be able to support 128gb or even 256gb cards (rumored) with a software update.

Now that would win it over for me, the biggest limits of my Trophy is space, then the camera. The rumored Samsungs rear camera is claimed to be better than a iPhone 4S or a 5 (my wife has a 4 and is always talking pictures with it). Not as good as the Nokia but, close. This might just be my phone.

Samsung's website for the Ativ S says that it supports microSDXC. See under specifications here (click on the dots to scroll right):

GT-I8370, ATIV S

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon